• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sigs Platoon?

V

Inactive
Reaction score
  I have just been seconded to a Sig's platoon in my reserve Infantry Regiment.  I don't know why? Anyway, for the next seven months I will be trained to be a Sig's operator.  Thought I'd say hey!  Seeing if there is any information I can gleam from this forum.

V

I don't think I've ever heard of a Sigs Pl in the Land Force Reserve.  In any case, that would be the organization that operates the battalion command post (Bn CP) under the Ops staff.  They operate the communications systems, log all comms traffic, provide dispatch runners/riders, operate RRBs, set-up/tear-down/move the Bn CP, and many other little tasks required for the Bn to function as a unit while  in the field.

MCG said:
I don't think I've ever heard of a Sigs Pl in the Land Force Reserve.  In any case, that would be the organization that operates the battalion command post (Bn CP) under the Ops staff.  They operate the communications systems, log all comms traffic, provide dispatch runners/riders, operate RRBs, set-up/tear-down/move the Bn CP, and many other little tasks required for the Bn to function as a unit while  in the field.
you forgot: keep the coffe on! For the love of all that is Holy, KEEP THE COFFEE ON!

I left that out intentionally.  Last CP I worked in, the communal coffee was crap.  I drank from the pot made by the three WOs.

I'm trying to think positive about this... Yes, I think I have heard all the coffee jokes in the last 24 hours that I can handle.  Apparently, this is the first time there has been a Sigs Platoon. At least in the reserves, but I'm here to testify there is. 

Thanks...
      V

cream or sugar...

dude, I'm not joking at all. Keeping that coffee on, fresh, and hot, is vital. Seriously. It's for the Duty Officer, the Signallers, the Patrol Commanders coming in off patrol to do their debrief with the DO, the occasional on-going sentry, and anyone else who has to wake up in the middle of the night, or is coming in from/going out into the cold, wet night.

Dumbasses joke about it, as though you're bag-licking, but anyone with more than 20 minutes in the field appreciates the Sigs guys' coffee.

The power of coffee is invaluable. Be nice to guys, get them hot joe, offer to heat up an IMP for them in your hot water kettle (faster than stoving it), and you'll be surprised to see how well people'll cover for you, or look out for you when the fun activities are taking place.

Sig_Des said:
..........offer to heat up an IMP for them in your hot water kettle (faster than stoving it), .........
Tell me you just didn't say what I think you said.......heating up an IMP or IMPs in your drinking water?  Big NO NO!  I forget why......oh!  Yea!..... aluminum.......Alzheimer's.......poison.......I think they are all linked...... ::)

George Wallace said:
Tell me you just didn't say what I think you said.......heating up an IMP or IMPs in your drinking water?  Big NO NO!  I forget why......oh!  Yea!..... aluminum.......Alzheimer's.......poison.......I think they are all linked...... ::)

Taps nose...that's why I keep 2 different hot water kettles in my pod  ;)

...I think I have heard all the coffee jokes in the last 24 hours that I can handle....

Maintaining comms and making coffee are the most important tasks of the jimmies.  Screw with either at your peril.  The jokes asides, those who do not respect the signaller/coffee b**** can quickly be put in their place.    http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/49828/post-440245.html#msg440245

blackadder1916 said:
Maintaining comms and making coffee are the most important tasks of the jimmies. 

Some of us also hold some semblance of basic soldiering skills, too!  ;)

MCG said:

That's because the Comm Res usually handles all those tasks. In BC for example the three local Comm Res units are the only units with the skills and equipment to handle everything described above and more. In fact this year my unit has just received a bunch of new equipment, including a new CPIC that will give us even more capabilities. Correct me if I'm wrong but a Sig Pl w/ in the Land Force Reserve in BC would be just replace some of the capabilities the Comm Res already has and negate all the new equipment we have received.

BTW, this year my unit has also been tasked to teach a bunch of courses to the local 39 Bde units. In looking at V's previous posts (his profile is empty), I'm thinking he might be in the Westies. If that is so then he might very well be one of the persons who will be on one of these courses. If that is the case then he will not be training to be an actual Sig Op as stated, he will only be taught some basic VP and how to use a 521 and 522 without breaking them. ;D All the usual stuff Reserve Infantry Signallers learn.

Although I could be mistaken. Maybe the Infantry Regiments all got new vehicles and equipment and are trg some Infanteers to become half breed Sig Op's in the quest to replace us. ;D

I think were being trained to be half breeds...temporarily anyway.  Also, the basic comms course goes beyond 521 and 522, but I assume you know this.  I don't think I have to list the curriculum for Mod 1.  Fact, there is now a Sig's platoon in the Infantry Reserve.  You are right it doesn't qualify me as a "Sig's operator".  I don't think this makes me a glorified Sig's operator and I'm not looking to change trades.  I am quite happy being in the infantry.  The Sig's trade is crucial in deployments domestically and internationally.  I have a great deal of respect for the trade and I have been given a tremendous opportunity.  Currently, I am reading a book called "Body of Secrets" which I would recommend to anyone in Sig's.  Excellent book.  Actually, you could probably put together a pretty good forum on this book.  Did you all know that David Niven was a Sig.  Apparently, he was in this elite unit.  Again, I look forward to reading the posts presented and learning a little bit more.

Cheers

V

boehm said:
Although I could be mistaken. Maybe the Infantry Regiments all got new vehicles and equipment and are trg some Infanteers to become half breed Sig Op's in the quest to replace us. ;D

You do realize how ignorant this statement is and how little you actually know about this subject.  Sigs really are a little Empire in your mind, aren't they?  Hate to burst your little bubble, but everything that you are going on about here is wrong.  I hope someday you have the opportunity to see what Cbt Arms guys really know about Comms.  You'll be pretty surprised at how little you know.  Armd Crewmen know as much, if not more, about Comms than you.  So do Infantry and Artillery Sigs.  Oh!  Sorry, I forgot the Engineers.  They all have just as much knowledge as you. 

Would you like lessons in putting up your mast?  How about Ground Plane Antenna's or perhaps Expedient Antenna's?  Do you need a Fill or perhaps you want to meet Phil?  Don't fall off you Pony.

George, things have changed since you were a young trooper. Things have certainly changed since I became a Rad Op/Sig Op. The days of dropping your 524 to reset the internal circuits are gone. Yes we still use the old antennae systmes for some of our radios, most have changed also. Things have progressed to the point that the RCD Sqn's now have Sigs Sgts in each.

I would agree that Inf Sigs were one of the best in getting comms in, with a close following by the Armd, but at Bn level or higher, get a good old Rad Op in the CP and things change.

I would beg to differ.  There has always been a Sigs Sgt/MCpl in the Recce Sqns.  Other than being a SME, they have really not been any more knowledgable about the job than most Crewmen.  The Armd School used to run the Comms Sqn and was the "Center of Excellance" for the Cbt Arms up until just recently.  If you can show me anyone who knows Comms better than a Crewman, I'd be surprised.  There are no Sigs out in OPs or doing Recce Patrols.  There are no Sigs sending in Reports and Returns, Calling in Arty or Fast Air in the Armd Regts.  There are no Sigs setting up Patrol Antenna's, Directional Antenna's or Expedient Antenna's.  Trouble shooting in the Advance or Defence is done by the Crew.  Even in the CP, the Sigs are often replaced by Crewmen on shift.  On a whole, Sigs fill a very small niche in an Armd Unit.   In a pinch they can usually be easily replaced by Crewmen.  BTDT.

We will not get into VP, which Crewman have a fairly good handle on, and Inf still think that they need to inflate their sets before transmitting, but....... ;D

Sorry for the hijack.....back on topic......Yes that pot of coffee is the most important part of any CP.  Preferred size would be the 100 cupper.  The 0200 to 0400 shift would not survive without it.  The CO will not truly wake up and take a Intsum without a cup of Java in his mitts.

Hey George,

I'm not sure how to take that post, I just got my call for BMQ and was selected for Signal Operator. It seemed like a rather interesting trade to me...I get the feeling from your post though that signal operators are looked down upon and that they are not really needed. I am looking forward to my career in the CF and I am determined to do the best I can, I just always thought that every role in the CF would be an important one. I apologize if I took your post the wrong way.

Clarkey

Clarkey

Sorry.  It is just the holier than thou attitude that some Sigs put across that sets me off at times.  The Sigs in a Cbt Arms unit are part of a Team.  They have a valuable place, but they are really under the wrong impression if they think that they are vital or indispensable.  They are part of a 'Team'.

Hey George,

Thanks for clarifying, and I understand where your coming from now. I guess it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. And I am sure if my past experiences with people serve me correct there are those "holier than thou" types in every situation. A real shame if you ask me, everyone must rely on each other.

Clarkey

George,

I'm not going to jump in this fray with a holier-than-thou attitude. I just want to clarify where I think Boehm was coming from.

From a reserve standpoint, Comms is a little bit more exclusive. Reserve cmbt arms units, spec Inf, have little time to train their pers up to BTS. When on an excersize, thus enter the Communications Reserve. These units have the nescessary equipment to provide and maintain ( supposedly) CPs and RRBs.

Now, I've operated with several combat arms, both reg and res. Most challenging was the arty. You need to be fast and extremely accurate. I have a lot of respect for the arty sigs. But the guns here in Ottawa, for the last few years, have had a Sigs Det provided to them from 763 Comms Regiment.

Now you know I prefer the field work. I HAVE been on OPs, Recce Patrols, sent returns and reports, set up patrol, Directional, and expedient antenna's. I have trouble shot for Armd Recce Sqn CPs. I'm not going to claim to be alone in knowing it.

Yes, I've known Crewman and infanteers that, if you put a Jimmy on them, you wouldn't know they weren't sig Ops. But most of these were either Reg F, or had been in many years.

Boehm, don't think that infanteers know diddly-squat about the rads. I'm a firm believer in everyone having as much comms training as possible, makes our job easier. Just like the more combat training a field sig has, the easier it is for the infanteers to do theirs. I think you will start seeing the Res Bde's having more C2 vehicles availaible to them.

Anyway...back to building my TacNet Server.

Back