• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sign longer contract to start as Cpl?

Neill McKay said:
It's strictly about the money, which is a concern that the OP has raised.  Once in a great long while, a recruiter might not present every possible option to a prospective member, so I'm only trying to help the OP see all (or at least more) of the angles.

Ever sit down and do the math comparing an ROTP and NCM entrant?

Shamrock said:
Ever sit down and do the math comparing an ROTP and NCM entrant?

No, but it might be an interesting exercise, especially if the cost of the university time were included.

Quote from: Greymatters on July 18, 2008, 12:05:07
Good advice.  Although making a decision to join the CF based on how much it pays doesnt strike me as the best of thought processes.[/ quote]

What I wrote (above)
What McKay wrote (below)

We always say that nobody should join up just for the money, and we all hope that there's something more than that motivating the people we serve with, but a person has to make a living and it's sensible to consider the size of the paycheque before embarking on a new career, especially if already established in the workforce.

Me again (below)
Your post is a bit confusing as youve got your response mixed up with my statement.

I agree that we all need some form of income, and its important to have a grasp of how to manage personal finances.  It should be part of basic training IMO. 

My point was that dothedr3w comes across as looking like he is making a career decision based on financial information alone.  He has no parallel threads making inquiries into what its like to work under multiple law systems, how is the work overseas, or ethical or moral delimnas about military work he might be considering.  Its all money questions.  This concerns me because I saw too many soldiers/airmen who joined up for the bucks and guaranteed income during the 1990's, a lot of whom tried to jump ship when they suddenly got told "your being deployed to the gulf". 

IMO, again, if you are going to join up, your primary consideration should be whether you can handle military life, can you deal with long-term out-of-country deployments, is there a support system in place for your family while you are away, and, are you aware of and able to deal with the possibility of being shot at (or shot).  The excellent pay is just a bonus and much less important.

Greymatters said:
My point was that dothedr3w comes across as looking like he is making a career decision based on financial information alone.  He has no parallel threads making inquiries into what its like to work under multiple law systems, how is the work overseas, or ethical or moral delimnas about military work he might be considering.  Its all money questions.  This concerns me because I saw too many soldiers/airmen who joined up for the bucks and guaranteed income during the 1990's, a lot of whom tried to jump ship when they suddenly got told "your being deployed to the gulf". 

IMO, again, if you are going to join up, your primary consideration should be whether you can handle military life, can you deal with long-term out-of-country deployments, is there a support system in place for your family while you are away, and, are you aware of and able to deal with the possibility of being shot at (or shot).  The excellent pay is just a bonus and much less important.

Agreed fully.

Greymatters said:
Me again (below)
Your post is a bit confusing as youve got your response mixed up with my statement.

depends on your point of view and life sit - when I joined pay was the main concern. I was single so family concerns were nil, extremely abusive father with large family (15 children) fighting lots so handling military life was not a concern as it was like going on vacation, prayed for long term out of country to get away from the hell I was in, was shot at prior to joining ( I lived in a friendly area) so .....  That left me with pay at a lot better than $2.75, steady employment, chance to travel to exotic places I never would have otherwise (still waiting - sigh) and steady supply of FOOD!!  Never complain about military food until you have tried my recipe for green tomatoe soup - best eaten after a week of no food ..... or the old ham and egg IMP cold - best eaten never. ;)

hmmm - reading this over I see that you are right - just that I had everything else covered so the bonus became my priority.

In response to graymatters post, I don't have alot of posts here because most questions I could've/would've asked have already been answered at some point.  You seem to think that money is my only concern, you couldn't be more wrong.  I left a very well paying job (80k in the first 6 months of this year), for a job with greater career development possibilities, but at about a 75% - 80% pay cut, which in my eyes is a fuckin huge pay cut.  By joining the military I'll be taking yet another pay cut, but it's something I want to do and have decided to follow thru with it regardless of income.  My concerns about the pay, I feel, are quite justified.  I've got a mortgage to pay and missing payments is not an option.  Right now I'm only clearing about $1030 every 2 weeks, and I've never had a tougher time making ends meet.  Just today I had to give myself a cash advance from my Visa to make sure I will make my next payment on time.  Anyhow, to get out of paying quarters do I just take my bill of sale or mortgage commitment or w/e down to the recruiting center as proof, or how do I go about this?  I'd like to have it done before I'm sent to basic, which btw shouldn't be too too far off.  Just did my interview on the 27'th, my application has been merited so now I'm just waiting on some extra medical forms to come back here to Vancouver from back east.

check with the recruiting centre to find out if they want a copy.

take a copy of both with you when you go for training to be on the safe side.

when you finally get a message check it carefully and contact the recruiting centre with any questions.  Look for terms such as move restricted or prohibited.

Back