• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shooting rampage at Fort Hood

Tank Troll said:
The problem is how do you avoid it...So how do you solve it? I have no idea how...

I don't know, I just don't statistically see it as a problem when compared to other religions/races/nationalities (however one chooses to segregate Muslims).

As I wrote above, white people aren't exactly the angels of the world either, and when "Whitey" pulls off a crime he can take a whole country or business (and all investers) with him.  We can just for the most part afford better lawyers.

It just really irks me to have Muslims painted with any sort of "Enemy of the Month" brush, because it really shows that we flat out refuse to learn from our mistakes in the past.

We got here and segregated Native Indians, then blacks, then Asians, and now Muslims.  One by one some Prime Minister 50 years later ends up saying he's sorry for the mistakes of the past and we don't understand how we could have been so stupid.  But here we are again, being terrified to have a Muslim get on the plane with us even though statistically he has more than likely led a far more peaceful non-violent life than we have.

Apollo, thanks for that I was seriously asking what signs he showed as I didn't know.

Petamocto, I concur I don't see it as a problem in our Army. How ever the American's do have a problem with it or perceive to any way.

Petamocto said:
But here we are again, being terrified to have a Muslim get on the plane with us even though statistically he has more than likely led a far more peaceful non-violent life than we have.

Statistically he may more than likely have led a more peaceful life (really?) but I think what has people spooked is statistically who is more likely to try and bring a plane down.

No problem Tanktroll, I actually asked the very same question when I first heard the story because initially people were saying there were no signs leading up to the event.

Americans still have a huge problem with racism in their forces unfortunately. I know people up here have cried racism when they don't get picked for a course or they are refused entry in the CF because they don't meet a specific (and unrelated to race) criteria but some of the stuff that goes on down there is shocking.

jollyjacktar said:
Another home grown terrorist.  The Yanks are looking for him and one day I am sure will catch up with him too.
I certainly hope so. I'm sure he will be well treated..... >:D

Apollo Diomedes said:
Statistically he may more than likely have led a more peaceful life (really?) but I think what has people spooked is statistically who is more likely to try and bring a plane down.

There are over a billion Muslims in the world.  How many have brought down planes compared to non-Muslims?

Stop listening to Ann Coulter saying every terrorist is a Muslim, lest we forget about the IRA and dozens of other groups that have made thousands of attempts at high-profile targets.

Apollo Diomedes said:
Americans still have a huge problem with racism in their forces unfortunately. I know people up here have cried racism when they don't get picked for a course or they are refused entry in the CF because they don't meet a specific (and unrelated to race) criteria but some of the stuff that goes on down there is shocking.

I spent 6 months with the 3/7 US Cav (Gary Owen) back in the early 90s in germany and it was rampet then. I've been to Fort Knox Kentucky on and off for the last couple of decades and there were bars that as a white guy that you didn't go in and vice versa. Now there was a lot of latitude given to us as Canadians so we went to all of them but until you were announced as a Canadian things were Dicey.

Petamocto said:
There are over a billion Muslims in the world.  How many have brought down planes compared to non-Muslims?

Stop listening to Ann Coulter saying every terrorist is a Muslim, lest we forget about the IRA and dozens of other groups that have made thousands of attempts at high-profile targets.

What you must understand is that the problem isn't just the ones who commit these crimes, it also lies with the silent approval of large part of the muslim population. A lot of times, muslims don't speak out against these exactions and too often they even approve of them. That is a fact I bear witness to often, being from a muslim background.

Inky said:
What you must understand is that the problem isn't just the ones who commit these crimes, it also lies with the silent approval of large part of the muslim population. A lot of times, muslims don't speak out against these exactions and too often they even approve of them. That is a fact I bear witness to often, being from a muslim background.

The same can be said about others, the Irish, Tamils, etc. The Muslims don't have a lock on it.

This same exact arguement has been beat to death on this board, a few times. Let it go.

Fort Hood shooting suspect in court

FORT HOOD, Texas - Wearing his Army uniform and sitting solemnly in a wheelchair, the psychiatrist accused of gunning down 13 people at Fort Hood made his first courtroom appearance Tuesday and won a delay in his case.

Maj. Nidal Hasan, who was paralyzed after being shot by two Fort Hood police officers, only spoke when answering questions about the military court proceedings with a soft: "Yes, sir."

His attorneys sought a delay in his Article 32 military hearing because they needed more time to review reams of documents they recently received and still lacked other key documents, including the FBI ballistics report and a government review on the Nov. 5 shootings.

The Article 32 hearing, similar to a civilian grand jury proceeding in which a judge hears witness testimony to determine whether the case should go to trial, is set for Oct. 4.

Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the worst shooting on a U.S. military post.

More at link

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7020187341?Witness%20Testimony%20Begins%20In%20Ft.%20Hood%20Hearing

Witness Testimony Begins In Ft. Hood Hearing

Kris Alingod - AHN News Contributor
Killeen, TX, United States (AHN) - The pre-trial investigation into the deaths of more than a dozen people at Fort Hood begins in earnest Tuesday when witnesses provide testimony about last year's shooting spree, allegedly by Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hassan.

Survivors of the tragedy are expected to testify during the Article 32 investigation, which is the military equivalent of a civilian preliminary hearing. The first session is scheduled to last until the end of the month, and a second session is set for Nov. 8 to Nov. 18. A third may be held in December.

An Article 32 hearing is a pre-trial investigation that could result in a general court martial, the most serious level of military trials that may end in the death penalty.

The investigation began in June, when Hasan made his first court appearance since the shooting at Fort Hood's "readiness center." No witnesses were heard at the time but his attorney's request to postpone proceedings for four months was granted.

Hasan is charged with 13 counts of first degree murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. He is believed to have used a handgun and a semiautomatic weapon against fellow soldiers on Nov. 5 last year.

The shooting occurred in an area where troops gather for medical and dental consultations before deployment, days before Veterans Day and amid debate about sending more troops to Afghanistan.

Hasan's attorney, retired Army Col. John Galligan, has refused to say if he will use insanity as a defense, but his requests last month to exclude autopsy evidence and to close the proceeding to media and the public were both denied.

Hasan's motives are still unclear, but he was due for deployment before the shooting. As a psychiatrist at Walter Reed Medical Center, he had also sent messages to Anwar al-Awlaki, a suspected terrorist and former imam at the mosque attended by two 9/11 hijackers, asking for spiritual guidance.

A practicing Muslim, Hasan was also said to have been unhappy about the treatment of Muslim service members.

The FBI has said Hasan came to its attention in December 2008 when a joint terrorism task force reviewed communication between Hasan and a person they were investigating. The agency said there were no indications at the time that Hasan had any accomplices or was part of a larger terror plot.

Early this year, the Pentagon adopted dozens of changes to policy and emergency procedures following an inquiry into the shooting found gaps in military rules on anti-terror and criminal threats.

The review found military policy on banned activities is unclear and does not allow commanders to act with guidance on potential threats to troop discipline and good order. It also found the Defense Department's commitment to the Joint Terrorism Task Force program with the FBI as "inadequate."

Accused Texas base shooter seeks tribunal delay
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Accused+Fort+Hood+shooter+seeks+delay+military+tribunal/3659810/story.html

Jim Forsyth, Reuters

SAN ANTONIO - A Muslim Army major charged in last year’s killing rampage at a Texas Army base sat in a courtroom packed with victims and their families Tuesday, as his lawyer sought to delay a military tribunal until November.

The accused, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, appeared briefly before the Article 32 hearing in a wheelchair, but did not speak at the proceeding to determine if he will stand trial.

Maj. Hasan was left paralyzed by bullet wounds inflicted during the Nov. 5, 2009, shooting at the Fort Hood Army base, which killed 13 people in an incident that raised concerns over the threat of “home grown” terrorist attacks.

Legal experts expect the case to proceed and Maj. Hasan, a 40-year-old Army psychiatrist, could face the death penalty.

Col. James Pohl, the presiding officer at Maj. Hasan’s hearing, adjourned Tuesday to weigh requests by Maj. Hasan’s lawyer, retired Col. John Galligan, to postpone the hearing until Nov. 8. The proceeding will reconvene Wednesday.

Col. Galligan says he is not convinced Maj. Hasan will get a fair trial because the Army has failed to release key documents.

“The defense position should be that we should all be together, with one goal in mind, and that is to make sure that if Maj. Hasan is sent to a trial, it is a fair trial, and it be a public trial,” Col. Galligan said before the hearing.

In the rampage at the world’s largest military facility, witnesses said they heard Maj. Hasan shout “Allahu Akbar” — Arabic for “God is Greatest” — just before opening fire on a group of soldiers preparing for health checks before being deployed.

Col. Pohl has said he will call as witnesses the 32 people wounded during the shooting. The proceeding, which is open to the media, could stretch over a month.

Army Private Marquis Smith, among those set to testify, recalled being shot in the foot by Hasan during the incident.

“When I saw the back of [Maj. Hasan], I turned and I ran, and that’s when I started ... hearing bullets fly past me and hitting the wall,” Pte. Smith said.

Fort Hood is a major deployment point for the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.

U.S. officials said Maj. Hasan had exchanged e-mails with Anwar al-Awlaki, an anti-American al Qaeda figure based in Yemen.

There have been a number of recent cases of so-called ”home-grown terrorism” in which U.S.-born individuals or naturalized citizens have mounted attacks on U.S. soil.

Since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks using hijacked aircraft in Washington and New York, U.S. security officials have focused on attacks from Al Qaeda that originate overseas, said Daniel Kaniewski, deputy director of the George Washington University Homeland Security Policy Institute.

“In fact, the growing threat that we feel exists is actually here in the United States,” Mr. Kaniewski said.

Faisal Shahzad, a Pakistani-born U.S. citizen, was given a life sentence after attempting to set off a car bomb in New York’s busy Times Square on May 1.

Faisal Shahzad, a Pakistani-born U.S. citizen, was given a life sentence after attempting to set off a car bomb in New York’s busy Times Square on May 1.

So he's eating better than how many thousand Americans?

I hope Hasan gets the death penalty but I can see the US being worried about offending a certain group.

Fort Hood Massacre Anniversary Marked With Tears, Tributes, Prayers
KWTX TV  - Texas
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Post_Remembers_The_Dead_Honors_The_Living_On_Shooting_Anniversary_106733968.html

FORT HOOD (November 5, 2010)—Relatives of the 12 soldiers and one civilian who died a year ago Friday in the shooting rampage at Fort Hood’s Soldier Readiness Center cried and ran their hands across a 6-foot-tall granite memorial erected in tribute to the victims.

The memorial was unveiled Friday as the post marked the anniversary of the shootings.

Many families of the 13 who died on Nov. 5, 2009, met each other for the first time at the anniversary memorial.

Friday morning, during the invitation-only ceremony, Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and Army Secretary John McHugh presented awards to more than 50 soldiers and civilians whose actions "went above and beyond the call of duty" to stop the attack.

McHugh said soldiers and civilians showed remarkable courage and strength that day.

"It's a chapter in this Army that no matter how many tears may fall will never, ever be washed away and will be part of our history forever," he said.

A second ceremony Friday afternoon was open to the public.

It was followed by a moment of silence and a post-wide retreat ceremony, after which all troops were released from the day at 2 p.m.

Friday afternoon off post, the City of Killeen and SPJST Fraternal Organization planned to unveil an artist's rendering of the design for the Fort Hood November 5th, 2009 Memorial, which will be located between the Killeen Civic and Conference Center and Shilo Inn and Suites.

Gov. Rick Perry, in a statement issued Friday, said, “The thoughts and prayers of all Texans remain with the families who lost loved ones at Fort Hood, as well as those still recovering from wounds both seen and unseen.”

“For those who made the ultimate sacrifice that day, we will continue to honor their service and preserve their memories,” Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said in a statement Friday.

“While the wounds that were inflicted on our nation that day have begun to heal, the threat of terrorism has not abated. It is a sobering reminder that we face a cowardly enemy with no respect for human life,” she said.

In a statement issued on the eve of the anniversary, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, praised the post and surrounding communities for rallying together to emerge “even stronger following last year’s tragedy.”

“My thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones who are still struggling to cope with this tragedy and loss, as well as the greater Fort Hood community as they honor those lost and the heroes who put themselves in harm's way on that fateful day,” Cornyn said.

Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 33 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the shooting.

A hearing that will determine whether he stands trial started last month, but was recessed until after the anniversary of the rampage has passed.

The commemoration continues on Saturday with memorial runs and later a concert.

CNN: It's the first anniversary of the shootings at Fort Hood, and the 467th Medical Detachment has completed their mission and returned home.
The rest of the unit was offered the chance, in consideration of the horrors they'd witnessed at Ft. Hood, to skip their long-planned deployment. None of them did.

Soldiers of 467th return home, share experiences of grief
By Ron Seely The Wisconsin State Journal
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/article_eac6a3ca-e488-11df-9d2b-001cc4c002e0.html

Oct. 31--Last December, Maj. Laura Suttinger and other soldiers in Madison's 467th medical unit left for Afghanistan. They carried with them all the anxiety and fear that comes with being sent to war.

But these soldiers carried more than that. They arrived in Afghanistan bearing the scars of having been victims and witnesses in a murderous outburst last Nov. 5 at Fort Hood that left 13 dead, including three of their comrades. Six others in the Army Reserve unit were seriously injured in that shooting.

This week, the soldiers returned to Wisconsin. Saturday morning, having landed in Madison just a few hours before, Suttinger and two other soldiers with the combat stress control unit talked about their experiences.

Quietly, sometimes fighting back tears, the soldiers shared not only their joy at being home but their unique struggles in Afghanistan where they found themselves haunted by grief as they did their job of counseling fellow soldiers who were struggling with their own wartime nightmares.

Suttinger described the experience as "moving through grief with persistence." She spoke of the work members of the unit accomplished in Afghanistan in spite of the tragedy -- counseling soldiers who were dealing with the strain and trauma of battle, meeting with field doctors and nurses to make sure they were coping, teaching classes on everything from anger and stress management to quitting smoking.

"We did all this in honor of our fallen and wounded comrades," said Suttinger.

But it was impossible, the soldiers said, not to think of that day at Fort Hood. Maj. Nidal Hasan is facing trial for murdering 13 people and injuring 32 others as the 467th was gathered at a processing center, doing paperwork in preparation for their departure. The three soldiers from the 467th killed were Maj. Libardo Caraveo of Woodbridge, Vermont; Capt. Russell Seager of Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin; and Sgt. Amy Krueger of Kiel, Wisconsin.

Though the soldiers Saturday did not comment specifically on what happened on Nov. 5, 2009, they did talk about the impact of the shootings on their lives and on their work in Afghanistan. They left for the war just a month later.

Staff Sgt. Dick Hurtig, Madison, said he tried to focus on the needs of the soldiers he was counseling rather than on his own hurt. "We weren't trying to dwell on the past and make every single day about something that had happened in the past," said Hurtig. "We tried to focus on our jobs."

Sgt. Kara Kortencamp of La Crosse said she also focused on the needs of those she was treating, even though the soldiers she counseled often knew about what the soldiers had gone through at Fort Hood.

"It was not my turn to be in therapy," said Kortencamp. "It was for them."

The soldiers built memorials to their dead comrades in Afghanistan. And, to keep their fallen friends in mind, members of the unit wore what they called "hero bracelets." All wore them Saturday and all said it is unlikely they will ever take them off.

The black bracelets are inscribed with the words "Who will go for us? Here I am, send me." Originally from a Bible verse, the words were cited by Gen. George Casey Jr., chief of staff of the U.S. Army, at a memorial for the Fort Hood victims.

Like all soldiers in wartime, the members of the 467th had memories they held on to while in Afghanistan and things they relish now that they are back.

For Kortencamp, it's Wisconsin cheese. For Hurtig, it is the green of home.

"Everything over there is tan or beige," said Hurtig. "It's been so long since I've seen trees. So for me, it's the trees and the green."

After Fort Hood, Army unit put grief aside to help
The Associated Press
04 Nov 2010

On the doors of the U.S. Army Reserve's low-slung offices hang posters that proclaim "Battlemind _ Armor For Your Mind."

Building that armor is the Reserve's 467th Combat Stress Control Detachment's specialty. The group of psychologists and social workers helps combat troops cope with everything from weathering domestic squabbles to withstanding a comrade's death in battle.

Over the last year, the healers have had to heal themselves.

The Madison-based 467th had just arrived at Fort Hood to make final preparations for a yearlong deployment to Afghanistan. On Nov. 5, 2009, some soldiers from the unit were in the Texas post's medical building getting vaccinations and other tests when witnesses say an Army psychiatrist, Maj. Nidal Hasan, opened fire on his fellow soldiers.

Dozens were wounded and 13 people were killed, including three members of the 467th: Maj. Libardo E. Caraveo, of Woodbridge, Va.; Sgt. Amy Krueger, of Kiel, Wis.; and Capt. Russell G. Seager, of Mount Pleasant, Wis. Six other members were wounded.

Weeks later, the tightly knit unit shipped out to Afghanistan, forcing members to somehow set aside their own grief to wade into others'. The 467th returned home just last week, days ahead of the shootings' first anniversary on Friday. Many members still haven't come to grips with it.

"This doesn't end in a day or a week or a month or a year," said Col. Kathy Platoni, a unit psychologist from Beavercreek, Ohio. "The whole unit has a broken heart. What happened was inconceivable, (that) such an event could occur on American soil and on an American military installation and our losses would be so much larger than life."

On Friday _ one year after the shooting _ a 6-foot-tall stone memorial engraved with the 13 victims' names will be unveiled at Fort Hood after an awards ceremony honoring more than 50 soldiers and civilians whose actions that day "went above and beyond the call of duty."

Hasan, who was not a member of the 467th but was supposed to deploy with the unit to Afghanistan, is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. The Army has barred unit members from talking about what happened on Nov. 5 because of the legal proceedings against the American-born Muslim.

Still, in emotional interviews with The Associated Press, several members of the unit described the year that has passed.

Everyone in the unit knew Caraveo, Krueger and Seager, said Sgt. Kara Kortenkamp, a 27-year-old social worker who joined the reserves as a sophomore in college and looked up to Krueger.

The unit's commander, Maj. Laura Suttinger, said the Army focused on the unit's mental state in the weeks between the shooting and deployment, making chaplains and psychologists available. Each morning in formation she delivered inspirational quotes to her troops and tried to persuade them to take advantage of the help.

The unit became even closer, said Suttinger, of Fort Atkinson, Wis. Then it scattered for Thanksgiving, a last visit home before they shipped out.

The Army gave each member of the unit a choice on whether to deploy. No one backed out.

"I ... just knew that there were guys overseas who needed us and they didn't have us yet and we needed to help them, too," said Kortenkamp, of La Crosse, Wis. "There really was never a doubt in my mind that I should keep going."

They arrived in Afghanistan emotionally and physically spent from dealing with the grief, adrenaline and nerves. But the battle mindset kicked in as the unit threw itself into its work and prepared to split up to field bases around the country. That was perhaps the most difficult moment for the unit as friends were forced to say goodbye for a year, Suttinger said.

The unit dedicated clinics at three bases to their fallen comrades, donned black bracelets honoring them and established a memorial wall with their photographs at the unit's Kandahar headquarters.

Conversations about Fort Hood continued through e-mails, Facebook, at dinner or "sitting on a pile of gravel outside our clinic," Platoni said.

Suttinger, a 39-year-old with auburn hair and a runner's physique, tried to deal with the shootings by pouring herself into gym workouts, keeping a journal and reading books about Afghanistan, including "The Kite Runner" and "Three Cups of Tea." Those stories helped her feel as if the unit was doing good, important work.

In the field bases, meanwhile, the unit's psychologists and social workers tried to put their own problems behind a wall of armor long enough to empathize with combat troops.

The job was daunting, Platoni, 58, said. Her group spent 95 hours with infantry soldiers in their first week. She sometimes found it difficult to block out her own grief and empathize with other soldiers' problems, she said. Sometimes she broke down in tears herself during sessions with soldiers.

"I told them in therapy, I was in your shoes," she said. "It helps give you such a working knowledge of what it is to suffer at that level ... then you have to pull back enough to be objective. Sometimes it's hard to pull yourself up and dredge yourself through someone else's pain. But you get good at it with practice."

Now, looking back, unit members say they're amazed at themselves.

"You can live in a lot of different conditions and still help other people, have a good time, deal with your own emotional stuff. ... The versatility of humans in nature, I think is incredibly impressive," said Sgt. Dick Hurtig, 26, of Madison.

Kortenkamp said she doesn't want the shootings to define her. She hopes to go to graduate school. But she also never wants to forget the people she lost, or the ones who helped her rebuild.

"We all sort of leaned on each other and held each up when we needed to and pushed each other forward when we needed to. I think that's what got me through, what has kept me getting through it," said Kortenkamp as she wiped away tears. "I still think about it and I'll always think about it because I don't want to forget those people."

Associated Press writer Angela K. Brown in Fort Hood, Texas, contributed to this report.

“TICKING TIME BOMB” FORT HOOD MASSACRE COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED
Committee Report Finds Internal Disputes, Poor Coordination at FBI and Failure to Acknowledge Violent Islamist Extremism at DOD

U.S. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee news release, 3 Feb 11
News release link - Report link (17.4MB PDF)
The Fort Hood massacre, which left 13 dead and 32 wounded, could have been prevented, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman, ID-Conn., and Ranking Member Susan Collins, R-Me., said Thursday, as they unveiled their  report on the November 5, 2009, terrorist attack.

Evidence of accused killer Nidal Hasan’s growing drift toward violent Islamist extremism was on full display during his military medical training, although his superiors took no punitive action, according to the report. Two of his associates said he was a “ticking time bomb.” He had defended Osama Bin Laden and suggested Muslim Americans in the U.S. military might be prone to commit fratricide.

But, a slipshod FBI investigation into Hasan, coupled with internal disagreements and structural flaws in the agency’s intelligence operations also contributed to the government’s failure to prevent the attack.

DOD and FBI “collectively had sufficient information necessary to have detected Hasan’s radicalization to violent Islamist extremism but failed both to understand and to act on it,” the report states. “Our investigation found specific and systemic failures in the government’s handling of the Hasan case and raises additional concerns about what may be broader systemic issues.”

DOD Failures

The report tracks Hasan’s growing radicalization in the years before the attack and the numerous failures of the military to intervene or take action against him. For example, two officers described Hasan, during his medical residency and fellowship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, as “a ticking time bomb.” At various times while he was at Walter Reed, Hasan suggested revenge might be a defense for the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and expressed sympathy with violent Islamist extremists and bin Laden. He also justified suicide bombers; said U.S. military operations represented a war against Islam; and stated that one of the risks of having Muslims in the U.S. military was the possibility of fratricide of fellow service members. 

“The officers who kept Hasan in the military and moved him steadily along knew full well of his problematic behavior,” the report found. “As the officer who assigned Hassan to Fort Hood (and later decided to deploy Hasan to Afghanistan) admitted to an officer at Fort Hood, ‘you’re getting our worst.’”

Astonishingly, one of the reasons Hasan’s commanders claimed for not taking action against Hasan was a belief that the evidence of his growing radicalization actually provided an understanding of violent Islamist extremism and the culture of Islam. His Officer Evaluation Report for July 2007 to June 2008, for example, said Hasan’s work on the role of culture and Islamic faith in the context of terrorism “has extraordinary potential to inform national policy and military strategy.”

FBI Failures

The report also examines the all-too-cursory FBI investigation into Hasan’s activities when he came to the agency’s attention in early 2009; and the critical dispute, unresolved by FBI headquarters, between two Joint Terrorist Task Forces (JTTF) – the anti-terrorist intelligence units created in the aftermath of 9/11, comprised of federal, state, and local officials, and meant to facilitate intelligence information sharing and operational coordination.

On January 7, 2009, the San Diego JTTF sent a memo to the Washington JTTF about Hasan’s communications with a known terrorist already under investigation. Despite the red flags this should have raised, the Washington JTTF waited more than six weeks before assigning the investigation to an analyst from the Defense Department who was attached to the Washington JTTF. The analyst then waited until the last day of the customary 90-day deadline for completing inquiries and wrote his report in four hours, without considering the investigation from a counterintelligence perspective. Instead, he relied on Hasan’s sanitized Officer Evaluation Reports. The San Diego JTTF thought the inquiry was superficial but dropped the matter. FBI headquarters was never informed of, and played no role, in the Hasan investigation.

The FBI’s view of intelligence analysts from other agencies assigned to JTTFs compounded the problem.  JTTF analysts from non-FBI agencies were not allowed full access to a key FBI database, which likely would have sparked a more in-depth inquiry ....

More on links

Fort Hood shooting suspect to face court martial
Chris Baltimore, Reuters
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/06/fort-hood-shooting-suspect-to-face-court-martial
HOUSTON - A U.S. Army psychiatrist charged in a 2009 killing rampage at a Texas military base will face a court-martial where he could be sentenced to death, a military official ruled Wednesday.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan, 40, who U.S. officials have linked to a radical Muslim cleric in Yemen, is charged in the Fort Hood shootings killed 13 people and wounded 32 others.

Lieutenant General Donald Campbell, Fort Hood’s commander, referred Hasan’s case to a general court martial which “is authorized to consider death as an authorized punishment,” according to a statement issued by Fort Hood.

A date has not been set for the court martial, the statement said. The first likely step would be for a military judge to inform Hasan of his rights at an arraignment, it said.

John Galligan, Hasan’s lead attorney, declined to comment on whether Hasan will pursue an insanity plea for his defense.

“This thing has been choreographed a long time ago,” Galligan said. “We’re just seeing the various events play out.”

According to witnesses who testified at evidentiary hearings at Fort Hood in 2010, Hasan shouted “Allahu Akbar” — Arabic for “God is Greatest” — just before opening fire on a group of soldiers undergoing health checks before being deployed to war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hasan is confined to a wheelchair after he was paralyzed from the chest down by bullet wounds inflicted by civilian police officers during the Nov. 5, 2009 shooting.

The incident has raised concerns over the threat of “home-grown” militant attacks. U.S. officials said Hasan had exchanged e-mails with Anwar al-Awlaki, an anti-American al Qaeda figure based in Yemen.

Fort Hood is a major deployment point for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Meanwhile.....
The cousin of the Army psychiatrist accused in a shooting rampage at an Army post in Texas has created a Muslim charity that denounces violence in the name of Islam, and is using the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks to draw attention to the foundation.

Philanthropy experts said it’s rare that the family of someone allegedly responsible for such violence would take such a step, rather than a victim’s relatives.

Nader Hasan is the cousin of Maj. Nidal Hasan, who is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the November 2009 attack at Fort Hood, Texas.

The Nawal Foundation is intended to “unite people against violence in the name of Islam unequivocally, and embrace American patriotism.” Nawal is an Arabic word for “gift.”

Nader Hasan, a lawyer in Fairfax, Va., declined Wednesday to discuss his cousin. The charity is starting up just days before the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. The website doesn’t mention his family’s connections to the Fort Hood attack.

“No violence in the name of Islam. Ever,” the website says.

(....)

Experts predicted the charity will face serious challenges raising money.

The director of the Center for Philanthropy and Public Policy at the University of Southern California, Jim Ferris, said relatives of victims typically launch charitable groups to prevent a similar tragedy.

“A lot of giving is sort of emotional (from) people who have a lot of empathy for the victim or concern for the issues,” Ferris said. “It’s not quite the same when you don’t have the victim.”

The charity also will run into reluctance from the Muslim community, experts said. Allegations of wrongdoing by other Muslim charities may taint perceptions of the foundation’s work among potential donors, said Jon Alterman, director of the Middle East Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Some of those charities have been accused of steering money to groups opposed to U.S. interests.

“There’s a lot of concern that organizations might divert some of the money or might not be entirely legitimate,” Alterman said. “There’s an additional level of scrutiny within this community. Who do you want to support? And if you give support are you going to end up with the FBI knocking at your door?”

(....)
The Associated Press, 1 Sept 11

milnews.ca said:

Isn't this what we all ask when something serious happens? We want the Muslims to step up and speak out against the violence.

Now, one has. In a substantial way. Instead of worrying about the obstacles or throwing water on the idea, I say good on him and I wish him luck.

I'm sure there will be enough magnifying lenses trained on the organization to keep it honest

Hear, hear.  Well put.  I hope this is the start of something good for both sides.

recceguy said:
Isn't this what we all ask when something serious happens? We want the Muslims to step up and speak out against the violence.

Now, one has. In a substantial way. Instead of worrying about the obstacles or throwing water on the idea, I say good on him and I wish him luck.
Better one candle than to curse the darkness - good point.  And you're also right about the fact that a LOT of eyes'll be on this one.

Back