• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shake Hands with the Devil now a movie

I found it hard to get through, not because it was junk, but because of the content.

Sig_Des said:
I agree with flip as to how the book may leave you feeling.

As far as the movie, I'll see it to see how it stacks up to the book. And Roy Dupuis is definitely one of my favourite impersonation actors. I think he did an amazing job in the Rocket, and it's creepy how much he looks like Gen Dallaire in the film.

Apparently, Dupuis and Dallaire spent a lot of time over the movie, even to the point where Dupuis is wearing Dallaire's original nametag and decorations:

I agree with flip and Des. 

If anyone wants to read a fictional account of the days leading up to the genocide in Rwanda, pick up A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali by Gil Courtemanche.  It's beautifully written but very unsettling; you know that you're reading a novel but it's based on something that really happened.  Courtemanche is a journalist who spent quite some time in Rwanda.  Well worth the read IMHO.
(I think there's a movie being made based on this book as well)   

D Squared said:
If anyone wants to read a fictional account of the days leading up to the genocide in Rwanda, pick up A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali by Gil Courtemanche.
(I think there's a movie being made based on this book as well)   

Un dimanche à Kigali

They may have english subtitles on the dvd...

Did anyone see the movie tonight?  Is it any good? I plan on see it tomorrow. I saw some of the previews today.

I think the only problem it that the movie could be a big "downer" because of the subject material. 

In this forum, people are often reminded to stay within their lanes.  I find this to be wise and justified.  So, for those of you who are quick to dismiss Gen Dallaire with terms I would never use for a human being, let alone a former brother-in-arms, I ask this:  How many UN mission have you commanded in Central Africa in the mid 90s?  Its too easy to criticise his leadership with the benefit of 12 years of hindsight.   

Just saw the movie last night.  It was outstanding.  Roy Dupuis portrayal of Dallaire was remarkable, to say the least.
Now, I really want to read the book.

I'm just curious- is that scene where Gen. Dallaire and his staff officer were driving and stopped at roadblock based on real accounts or was it added by the screenwriter for dramatic effect? (I did not read the book yet)

It is that scene earlier in the movie, not long after the Rwandan President's plane had crashed, where Dallaire and his aide were stopped at a Rwandan Army roadblock which was supported by a Rwandan armoured vehicle (a Panhard?). Dallaire and his aide stopped their jeep in front of a Bangladeshi BTR/APC in UN colors which had been stopped at the same roadblock, whose crew tells Dallaire they can find no other way around the roadblock. After being told they were not to pass by the Rwandans, Dallaire and his aide simply walk through the roadblock although the Rwandan troops threaten them with their guns drawn; the Bangladeshi UN vehicle commander, seeing the raucous, suddenly buttons up. Fortunately, no one opens fire as the two Canadian officers continue walking and then the Rwandan checkpoint commander then later offers to give Dallaire a ride. Since the vehicle the Rwandan checkpoint commander drove Dallaire looked like an Iltis, I was wondering, did the Rwandan Army have Iltis vehicles too back then or those Iltis vehicles seen in both Rwandan Army and UN use were just used for the movie?.

...I was wondering, did the Rwandan Army have Iltis vehicles too back then or those Iltis vehicles seen in both Rwandan Army and UN use were just used for the movie?.

Haven't seen the movie or read the book.  But didn't see many Ilti used by anybody back then.  Of course, I wasn't everywhere and the "Rwandan Army" had already shuffled off and the RPA had taken over.  Their standard vehicle seemed to be "anything that moved Mk.1".  One factor used in the selection of vehicles that we brought over was diesel fuel.  It was easier to get diesel than gas in that neck of the woods.

i remember that section in the book; I'm not sure whether or not he had the staff officer with him though (at this point in the book he was beginning to get a little loopy)

what a guy though, heard him lecture in toronto last year AMAZING!

for those of you who haven't  try to read the book before you see the movie: the movie is good, but the book is unforgettable.

My anthropology teacher highly recommended the book. We did an extensive study of Rwanda in that course and read the book "We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda"

Yes it has a long title, but if you have an interest in the Rwandan side of the story I definitely recommend that book. I haven't had time to read Shake Hands with the Devil, but it is on my pile of 'books to read.'

For anyone in Edmonton that is interested, Romeo Dallaire is giving a talk at the UofA on feb 21 at 7pm.

Rented this movie tonight. They finally had a copy.

It was good but a major downer. It leaves you feeling incredibly frustrated. And I'll admit I don't have much experience (more like none) with the UN... but my God, watching these movies and readings these books, they really give you the impression that the organization can be quite incompetent.

I definitely don't envy Dallaire, what he had to go through. I'm assuming he went a bit crazy toward the end...? Understandable...

Terrible...

I'm inclined to echo Harry Potter's sentiments here.  I've heard way too many rotten things said about Retired General Romeo Dallaire.

As a civilian, I 'm not qualified to analyze his military career but he is still fighting the good fight by winning public favour in the Canadian public's mind.

The movie, Shake Hands with the Devil is one of the few media vehicles Canadians have that deals favourably with the Canadian military.  Sad but true.

Canadians need more of this type of movie and we need more Dallaire's if we want to improve the Canadian public's perception of CF.

Dallaire's work has had a mediating effect between civilian vs military life. We identify with him; we know him; he is a Canadian hero to many.

Like Harry Potter, I'm not trying to stifle the opinion of others just making this forum aware that it's a sensitive issue for some of us.

My daughter and I just re-watched the movie and coupled it with Hotel Rawanda--and kleenex. :'(

Back