• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sgt.'s Miok & Taylor, Cpl. McCormack, Pte. Chidley and Michelle Lang-Dec 30/09

What a horrible way to end the year. RIP to the four soldiers and my deepest  professional sympathies to Michelle Lang. 

My thoughts go to the family and friends of the fallen.  RIP, know that you will not be forgotten.  I am wishing a speedy recovery to those injured and special thoughts of support to them as they deal with this difficult time.

Have more details been released such as the type of vehicle they were in?

I thought it was a little weird that the journalists name was released right away but the soldiers withheld.
I think in the past though sometimes some soldiers names were released (as their family had been notified) but others withheld pending notification right? Just seemed really quick.

It's sad for Afghanistan deaths to feel like a big deal in the media now it has to be something new ie a journalist dying.
The only reason I knew Lt. Andrew Nuttall passed away was because it was posted on Army.ca I can't help but think had she not had died this would no where near be as reported in the media as it currently is.

Flawed Design said:
I thought it was a little weird that the journalists name was released right away but the soldiers withheld.  I think in the past though sometimes some soldiers names were released (as their family had been notified) but others withheld pending notification right? Just seemed really quick.

Considering CanWest had only one next-of-kin to contact, compared to four sets of families the CF has to reach, it's not a big surprise the reporter's name came out well before the names of the troops (which I'm guessing will be released once ALL the families know).

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/12/31/afghanistan-deaths.html

4 slain soldiers identified
Last Updated: Thursday, December 31, 2009 | 12:34 PM ET Comments227Recommend99
The Canadian Press

The military has identified the four Canadian soldiers killed in a blast that also killed a journalist.

They are Sgt. George Miok, 28, Cpl. Zachery McCormack, 21, both of Edmonton, Sgt. Kirk Taylor, 28, of Yarmouth, N.S., and Pte. Garrett Chidley, 21, of Cambridge, Ont.

The soldiers, along with Michelle Lang of the Calgary Herald, were killed by a powerful explosion Wednesday during a patrol in Kandahar city.

The deaths — the worst such incident in 2½ years — bring to 138 the number of soldiers killed on the Afghan mission since 2002.

In a statement, Brig.-Gen. Daniel Ménard spoke of each soldier with pride, describing them as enthusiastic, passionate soldiers.

He also praised Lang for her sensitivity and ability to connect with people.

Just informed VIA PM the journalist name wasn't released as fast a I thought. My mistake, it just seemed like there was a large gap between the timings.

Flawed Design said:
Have more details been released such as the type of vehicle they were in?

I don't think at this time, it would add  to the gravity or sadness of this tragedy.

May their Souls Rest in Peace.

News Release
Four Canadian soldiers and one Canadian reporter killed and five injured in an IED strike
CEFCOM NR - 09.035 - December 31, 2009

OTTAWA – Four Canadian soldiers and one Canadian reporter embedded with Joint Task Force Afghanistan (JTF-Afg) were killed, while four other Canadian soldiers and one Canadian civilian official were injured in an IED incident in Kandahar province, on Wednesday December 30, 2009.

G-Miok.jpg

Sergeant George Miok

K-Taylor.jpg

Sergeant Kirk Taylor

Z-McCormack.jpg

Corporal Zachery McCormack

GW-Chidley.jpg

Private Garrett William Chidley

The incident occurred 4 km south of Kandahar City at approximately 4:00 p.m., Kandahar time, Wednesday afternoon as a result of an improvised explosive device attack on an armoured vehicle during a patrol.

Killed in action was Sergeant George Miok a member of 41 Combat Engineer Regiment, based in Edmonton, Alberta and serving with the Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team.

Killed in action was Sergeant Kirk Taylor a member of 84 Independent Field Battery, Royal Canadian Artillery, based in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia and serving with the Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team.

Killed in action was Corporal Zachery McCormack a member of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, 4th Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, Alberta and serving with the Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team.

Killed in action was Private Garrett William Chidley a member of the 2nd Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Shilo, Manitoba and serving with the Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team.

Michelle Lang, a Canwest journalist from Calgary, embedded with the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan was killed in the same incident.

Four Canadian soldiers and one Canadian civilian official were also seriously wounded in the incident. All of the injured were evacuated by helicopter to the Multi-National Medical Facility at Kandahar Airfield. The injured soldiers and civilian are reported to be in stable condition.

Members of Task Force Kandahar are committed to improving security and increasing development in Kandahar Province. Our thoughts are with the loved ones of our fallen comrades and our prayers go out to the family and friends of our fallen civilian reporter during this sad time, but we are determined to continue working with our Afghan and international partners towards a better future for the people of Afghanistan.

- 30 -

Note to editors (Note: new procedure): Photographs of Private Garrett William Chidley, Corporal Zachery McCormack, Sergeant George Miok, and Sergeant Kirk Taylor are available on the Fallen Canadians page of the Department of National Defence website. Please visit
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/fallen-disparus/index-eng.asp

RIP Zach, and to the other four. I knew Zach from course, and I found him to be an excellent person, funny, happy go lucky, and dedicated. He joked around a lot, made stupid jokes, but when it came time to kit up and be serious, he was a different person. I was impressed.

So sad to hear the news. My heart goes out to his family and friends, and those of the other 4. May they take solice in the life lived, rather than sorrow in the life lost.

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
31 December 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement on the deaths of four Canadian soldiers and one Canadian journalist in Afghanistan:

“It is with very heavy hearts that we learned that five Canadians were killed when an improvised explosive device detonated near their vehicle, south of Kandahar City.  On behalf of all Canadians, I offer my deepest sympathies to the families and friends of Sergeant George Miok, Sergeant Kirk Taylor, Corporal Zackery McCormack, and Private Garrett Chidley. 

“These four brave soldiers lost their lives seeking to help Afghans build a better future for themselves.  They represent the best Canada has to offer and they perished in a far away land, working tirelessly to advance Canadian values.  We owe them a debt we can never repay.

“I also offer my most sincere condolences to the loved ones of journalist Michelle Lang, who courageously risked her life reporting from one of the world’s most dangerous countries.  She lost her life reporting on the invaluable work being done by Canadian soldiers, aid workers and diplomats in Afghanistan.  Ms. Lang was from my hometown and I know her unforeseen and tragic death is being felt in Calgary and in communities across Canada.

“Our prayers also go to the families and friends of those Canadians injured in this appalling act.

“The brave men and women of Canada’s military face danger every day in their ongoing commitment to seeing Afghanistan flourish and stand on its own.  Members of the embedded Canadian media also risk their lives to bring that story home to us.

“The five men and women who perished are true Canadian heroes.  Canadians will never forget their dedication and sacrifice.”

My, it didn't take long for this thread to pop up in memorium, already four pages.

Lads and Lass, I shall await your arrival here...I will ensure your trip on the ramp will be uneventful and ice free.    :snowman:

RIP, Stand Down. :salute:

My condolences and prayers to the familes.  My heart felt thanks and gratitude to the fallen soldiers.  RIP

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the deaths of four Canadian soldiers and a Canadian journalist in Afghanistan
NR - 09.119 - December 31, 2009

OTTAWA –The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of four Canadian soldiers and a Canadian journalist in Afghanistan:

"Today I stand with all Canadians as we mourn the loss of four brave and selfless Canadian soldiers and one Canadian journalist who died after the vehicle they were riding struck an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) while on patrol in an area south of Kandahar.

I extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Sergeant George Miok, Sergeant Kirk Taylor, Corporal Zachery McCormack, and Private Garrett William Chidley who were killed yesterday while working to bring peace and security to the people of Afghanistan. My thoughts are also with the loved ones of Michelle Lang who was also killed while bravely risking her life to report on the important work Canadians are undertaking.  Canadians have a much better understanding of what we are accomplishing in Afghanistan as a result of the risks journalist like Ms. Lang take to bring the story back home to Canada.  For this we are all grateful. We also want to wish a steadfast recovery to those wounded during this incident.

Canada is in Afghanistan at the request of the democratically elected Afghan government and as part of an UN-mandated, NATO-led mission. Canadians will always stand proudly behind the brave men and women of the Canadian forces, and our partners, as they courageously risk their lives every day towards our goal of a stable, strong and peaceful Afghanistan.

Their sacrifice inspires those who will follow in our commitment to this mission and for this, the Government of Canada and all Canadians will remain forever grateful.”

FastEddy said:
I don't think at this time, it would add  to the gravity or sadness of this tragedy.

May their Souls Rest in Peace.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?board=78.0

Respectfully there is a forum FOR Thoughts and Prayers. This forum is in the Operations section.  I understand they will overlap but my curiosity about the circumstances of the attack is no different than everyone posting updated news releases in between RIP posts.

I remember Kurt Taylor. Good man! Always a joker, I was his 2IC for a BMQ.

"A soldier is someone who, at one point in his life,wrote a blank check made payable 'to Canada for an amount of 'up to and including my life."

Fire mission over.

Rest easy, all the fallen. Godspeed to the wounded. Hoping the friends and families manage to find peace in the months and years ahead.

Special condolences to my old friends at 84 Ind Bty

Ubique

Back