• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

(SGT?) Franck Gervais (split from Walts, posers)

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2833025

Remembrance Day soldier Franck Gervais an imposter, DND says

CBC News

Posted:Nov 12, 2014 5:46 PM ET
Last Updated:Nov 12, 2014 5:55 PM ET

The Department of National Defence says it can find no indication that Franck Gervais, who spoke with CBC on Remembrance Day wearing a uniform and medals, is a member of the military.
The Department of National Defence says it can find no indication that Franck Gervais, who spoke with CBC on Remembrance Day wearing a uniform and medals, is a member of the military. CBC

Franck Gervais, a man who claimed to be a decorated soldier during Tuesday's Remembrance Day ceremony at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, is an imposter, CBC News has confirmed.

The Department of National Defence said Gervais, who was interviewed during CBC 's Remembrance Day Special, is not a member of the Canadian Forces.

A number of veterans and soldiers called CBC after seeing Gervais on television to question the veracity of Gervais's status as a soldier.

"Falsely impersonating a Canadian Armed Forces member is an issue to be taken seriously and is covered under Section 419 of the Criminal Code of Canada," a spokesperson for the Defence Department said in an emailed statement. "Such activities are a disservice to the proud men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, who earn the right to wear their uniforms through their hard work and the sacrifices they make for our country."

CBC News spoke with Gervais's wife, and she declined to comment. CBC has not been able to reach Gervais.

The CBC issued a statement Wednesday: "During CBC's extensive coverage of Remembrance Day commemorations in Ottawa, we interviewed many veterans and serving members of the Canadian Forces. These included one man who had been standing among a group of uniformed personnel. To civilian eyes, he appeared to be an authentic soldier," the statement said.

"We have since learned that he was not, that his uniform was not correct, and that he was wearing medals he had not earned. All this was drawn to our attention by veterans and serving members, who were understandably angry at seeing this counterfeit soldier. We regret this, and are following up to learn more about the man."

Jungle said:
CBC News spoke with Gervais's wife, and she declined to comment. CBC has not been able to reach Gervais.

Hmmm, he can't be found and she declined to comment.  Sounds like the mother in law has found out already.  lol  If he's smart he'll just keep on running.

Cbc regrets what happened but to be honest he looked enough to fool the average person and even likely some military types who might not know any better.  Some slight mistakes and weird stuff though was enough for some to pick up on.

CBC's coverage was good.  This guy is what tarnished it.  Not the CBC.

I hope he gets charged for this.

Wearing medals he didn't earn?  Wonder if he will get a severe reprimand ;D

dapaterson said:
There were a few Army officer types wearing pips&crowns yesterday; is it possible he was an officer (and she didn't check the epaulettes, because no one is used to looking for officer ranks there yet)?  If he went the MilCol route, he could have joined at 16 - and thus be early 20s with a CD and a fair bit of time deployed...

The CSOR Guard Commander at the ceremony at Beechwood was wearing Pips and Crowns.

Whats he wearing on his pocket under his medal?  I've never seen that before, although thats not saying much.

That's the qualification badge for the CSOR course.

And interestingly, one of the ones I saw in pips was also a CANSOF type.  Maybe they're special in more than just one way...

We should criminalize the practise of impersonating military personnel before a Walt packing a suicide vest kills a bunch of people...

Just sayin'  :nod:

From another Net:

CBC, The National, tonight at 2100 is doing a whole report on this asshole and other posers. With Mr James Cudmore. Make sure we all watch.

It appears, from this CBC article (shared with the usual disclaimer) that his wife knows of his charade.

daftandbarmy said:
We should criminalize the practise of impersonating military personnel before a Walt packing a suicide vest kills a bunch of people...

CCC s419 covers part of that.

211RadOp said:
Only Cols and above are authorised to wear the pips and crowns at the moment.  Also, the SWASM qualifying time ended in 2009.

Even if he were a 2nd year Capt at age 26, he would have been wearing rank insignia he is not allowed to yet, and would not have been out of MilCol in time to earn the SWASM.

I saw 2 Army Capt's with the new rank on yesterday at the parade, and on the actual parade.  1 was Reg Force, 1 was PRes.

From the Ottawa Citizen:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/phoney-soldier-at-remembrance-day-questions-raised-about-man-interviewed-at-ottawa-ceremony

Phoney soldier at Remembrance Day? Questions raised about man interviewed at Ottawa ceremony

BLAIR CRAWFORD
More from Blair Crawford
Published on: November 12, 2014Last Updated: November 12, 2014 6:54 PM EST

Did an impostor pass himself off as a Canadian soldier during this week’s Remembrance Day ceremony at the National War Memorial?

That’s the question being asked after the Department of National Defence said Wednesday it has no record of any employee by the name of Franck Gervais — or Sgt. Franck Gervais. That’s how a man dressed in a soldier’s uniform identified himself during a nationally televised TV interview at Tuesday’s ceremony.

CBC reporter Diana Swain interviewed the man, who was wearing the uniform of a senior non-commissioned officer in the Royal Canadian Regiment.

“For me it’s really important to remember that people have fought for our freedom. They didn’t fight for themselves,” the man told the network.

Halfway across the country, Warrant Officer Michael Womack was watching the interview in Wainwright, Alta., as he prepared for his own unit’s Nov. 11 ceremony.

He says something about it just didn’t seem right.

“I saw the interview and I was like, ‘Wait a second, I should know him because that’s an RCR cap badge and a maroon beret.’ I didn’t know him, so I said to my wife, ‘Something’s not right here.'”

After the ceremony at Garrison Wainwright, Womack went home and re-watched his recording of the Ottawa ceremony.

“Everything about him was wrong,” Womack said.

Among the apparent incongruities cited by Womack: The man portraying himself as a soldier wore a pathfinders badge, an advanced reconnaissance award worn by a select few soldiers; the beret perched on his head was too small; he should have been wearing a red sash over his shoulder, something all infantry NCOs wear when in dress uniform with their medals; he wore an outdated brigade patch on his right shoulder; and his beaver-shaped collar dogs were crooked.

“No NCO worth his salt would have gone anywhere in public without them perfectly lined up,” Womack said.

The interviewed man also wore a Governor General’s Bravery Medal. A quick check of the Rideau Hall website showed that no one named Frank Gervais has earned the honour.

Womack spread the word on social media to others in the military and passed along his findings to the military chain of command.

The matter will likely be turned over to Ottawa police since the military police have no jurisdiction.

It is a Criminal Code offence to impersonate a soldier.

Womack’s own sleuthing found the man’s name and address and he heard from another soldier who said he recognized the man from cadets. He also has heard reports that the man bought some of his RCR regalia on the website Kijiji a few days before the Remembrance Day ceremony.

“He would pass — and did pass — cursory inspection,” by a civilian, Womack said.

— With files from Meghan Hurley

bcrawford@ottawacitizen.com

I know that "no-hook" privates aren't usually found in CANSOF, but just a question here: Is it possible that it was a corporal  from CSOF that got busted down further to a charge (obviously after earning his CD)?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I know that "no-hook" privates aren't usually found in CANSOF, but just a question here: Is it possible that it was a corporal  from CSOF that got busted down further to a charge (obviously after earning his CD)?

Keep in mind, OGBD, that newly-trained non-selected support personnel could be posted directly to a unit or Command HQ, so it is possible to have a no-hook Pte wearing a tan beret.

Regards
G2G

Just saw the National.  Good stuff outing that guy. His life is likely in a mess now.  A mess of his own creation.  Just imagining the lies he's told his family over the years.

ModlrMike said:
How odd... his Facebook page is now down.

His went down very early today.  His wife's is now down as well.  I wonder how many of their friends have posted photos of them?  >:D

Back