• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sept 2023 UKR Vet Recognition Incident (merged from several threads)

Regardless of what your view of him was, he was a terrorist and a murderer.
That's my view as well. He got what was coming to him.

If our society is going to do a deep dive into re-thinking our historical figures, he shouldn't be an exception.
Agreed.

If people want to take John A. MacDonald's name off things, than his name should be coming down as well.
I didn't think Sir JAM's name should have been taken down any more than Samuel De Champlain, Montcalm, LaSalle, Laurier, or Riel's names should be taken down.

Orwellian Department of History correction is not how we achieve reconciliation. The TRC itself said so. It's pandering for feel goods. Acknowledging the good and the bad of our past and figuring out how to move forward from it is how we make a better future.

That said, ignorantly glorifying and giving a standing ovation to the bad, without an understanding or appreciation for it, is simply moronic.

At the end of the day it was a bad gaffe.
Frankly I shake my head at all the members of the HoC most who are old enough to remember who fought in WW2…
But unlike Russia who commits war crimes every day, Canada made a choice of poor etiquette (and revealed a terrible understanding of history) but no one died.

Well said.

Oh jeez! If one were to say that out loud hear Manitoba, they would be drawn, quartered, and each quarter taken to each corner of the Province to rot in the open as a warning. For some reason, he’s considered a “Father of Confederation” here.
I live in Winnipeg and I just want to reiterate this:

The Winnipeg Police Service knows who pulled Queen Victoria's statue down on the front lawn of the Legislature, yet they declined to arrest the individuals.
BUT the gravesite of Riel was IIRC spray painted and they were looking for tips to hunt the guy down.

Sheer hypocrisy but then I am over 60, male and Caucasian so I don't get to have an opinion.....do I?

But I think for an extradition case to be made he would need to be tied to particular events and not just general membership in the 14th Waffen Division of the SS

Pretty much. We don’t have an extradition treaty with Poland, but generally speaking extradition either by treaty or as hoc requires there to be good evidence that the person committed something that would be an offence under Canadian law. The comparable Canadian legislation would be the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act. That law in turn refers to customary international law, or enumerated offences under the Rome Statute. There would have to be strong evidence of him committing specific acts. Playing for team swastika would likely not suffice on its own.

That said, maybe Poland has such evidence. I can’t rule it out.

According to CTV, "Hunka was invited by Speaker Anthony Rota, who introduced him as a war hero who fought for the First Ukrainian Division."

Now, who asked Rota? :unsure:

Mod note: Since this seems to be heading into discussing the Canadian political side of the developments, I'm moving just these bits to the thread on current management's current woes.

History grads be like …

smug top gear GIF

Pretty much. We don’t have an extradition treaty with Poland, but generally speaking extradition either by treaty or as hoc requires there to be good evidence that the person committed something that would be an offence under Canadian law. The comparable Canadian legislation would be the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act. That law in turn refers to customary international law, or enumerated offences under the Rome Statute. There would have to be strong evidence of him committing specific acts. Playing for team swastika would likely not suffice on its own.

That said, maybe Poland has such evidence. I can’t rule it out.
You also have the issue of the lack of independence of Polands judiciary system.

The ‘extradition’ request is more a domestic move than a actual attempt to extradite him. They have elections happening soon and PiS wish to keep in power.

Whatever happened 80 years ago. Whatever political team one supports today.

Hopefully, Canadians will keep their eyes on the ball. Slava Ukraini.

While the main focus of this article coincides with the topic of this thread, it does discuss other topics related to our recent foreign policy embarrassments.

I also highlighted parts of the article that talked about Russian disinformation efforts to smear Christine Freeland. I’m not a fan, but it’s important to base our criticism of her on reality. And in reality, she’s the only person who seems interested in getting serious on foreign policy. Hence why she was replaced by Melanie Joly.

The Crippling Costs of Unseriousness​

Nazis in the House! Assassins at the Temple! Fabulists, useful idiots and a whirlwind of dezinformatsiya. That's what's up with Canada right now.​

SEP 30, 2023

Hey, Canada. How’s that “post-national” experiment working out?​

I’m not going to quibble with the way Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre describes the big event (typical headline: Canadian parliament accidentally honours Nazi - with Zelensky and Trudeau applauding), as a thing that has brought “monumental, unprecedented and global shame” upon Canada’s House of Commons.

I’m just not so sure about the “unprecedented” bit. Poilievre might just be lathering it on a little, as in here: “The prime minister is now responsible for the biggest single diplomatic embarrassment in Canadian history.”

In all the antics and imbecilities that get squished into the “foreign policy” envelope in the biggest folder in the bulging filing cabinet that makes up my beat, I can think of quite a few Canadian “world stage” humiliations since 2015 that come pretty damn close to matching the latest blunderfest in the House of Commons.

If Ukrainian president Volodomyr Zelenskyy hadn’t been in the House when it happened - and it really did happen by mistake, to be fair to House Speaker Anthony Rota - it would have been just another day in Canada’s long decline into play-acting at being a middle-power G7 country.

This is not to excuse Rota’s unthinking choice to single out the 98-year-old Yaroslav Hunka in the visitor’s gallery as a “hero” and to summon standing ovations for him - while Zelenskyy, who is Jewish, was being honoured in the chamber, if you don’t mind. On the eve of Yom Kippur.

In my column in the National Post and the Ottawa Citizen this week, I just scratched the surface of a few comparable national embarassments. National Post version: Better vetting won't stop the Trudeau clown show: It was a farce of worldwide humiliation. Ottawa Citizen: Nazi controversy just the latest evidence Canada is an unserious country. I didn’t even mention the spectacular fallout from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s impromptu Narendra-Modi-Killed-A-Canadian “bombshell” of only a few days earlier.

Do please read the column when you’re done here. Takeaway point: It’s always “optics” with these guys. Trudeau’ fancy-socks neoliberalism, his matinee-idol magazine covers, the Pride parades, the strange fixation with Drag Story Hour fads and teenage gender-reassignment surgery, lowering the flag on all federal buildings for months on end over a “mass grave” that wasn’t, the ill-advised Bollywood haberdashery. . . it’s all optics. Until someone puts an eye out.
Whatever else might be said about the continuing catastrophe of Trudeau’s Modi-Killed-A-Canadian exercise in changing the “foreign interference” channel from the benefits the Liberals accrued from Beijing’s election monkeywrenching in 2019 and 2021 (I’ll have some more backstory to the latest “news” about all that in a later newsletter), here’s something you should notice.

Under the biggest headlines, all these days after Trudeau fashioned himself into the heroic centre of world attention, everything you’ll find still relies on asserted “facts” that remain uncorroborated and sourced solely to Trudeau and to the friends and relatives of the slain Hardeep Singh Nijjar. In other words, to the Khalistanis in Canada that the Government of India has listed as terrorists. And of course, now, the New Democrats’ Jagmeet Singh, who would say that, wouldn’t he.

I can’t find anything that has moved the needle from the direction it was pointing in when I put together last weekend’s Real Story Special, The worst of all possible worlds, or from that Real Story series I assembled in the days and weeks following Nijjar’s gangland-style murder in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Temple on June 14.

Maybe “Indian agents” really were involved. Maybe Nijjar was just another casualty in Metro Vancouver’s interminable gang wars. Maybe that’s a distinction without a difference.

It never ends​

I don’t mean to fault Trudeau alone for this pattern. It’s clearly a feature of what Canada has become, and it only occasionally erupts in embarassments noticed by the outside world. Like last year, when Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly’s deputy chief of protocol popped round to the Kremlin’s Ottawa embassy to take in the “Russia Day” party, with vodka and caviar, forgetting, it appeared, that we’re actually not on Russia’s side in this whole Ukraine thing.

Already the outlier in the Five Eyes intelligence partnership, Canada is excluded from the U.S-Australia-United Kingdom Pacific defence pact. Canada is the weakling of a “concerned” NATO alliance owing to Trudeau’s backchannel insistence that Canada will never meet NATO’s two-per-cent GDP military spending floor. NORAD is worried about us. Turkey is “disappointed” with us. Even Haiti is “frustrated” by us.

And now this, just from Friday: After Trudeau denied suggesting that Canada’s defence spending would never be brought up to NATO’s two-per-cent GDP threshold, Canada’s top soldier says he’s being forced to find nearly $1 billion in “savings” that will unavoidably reduce the Armed Forces' already-stretched capabilities.

Chief of defence staff General Wayne Eyre: "I had a very difficult session this afternoon with the commanders of the various services as we attempt to explain this to our people," Eyre said.

And then Defence Minister Bill Blair's office issued a statement saying that really, the cuts aren’tcuts. There’s that optics thing again.

Back to the circus and the main show​

Without inviting subscribers to get their hate on with Canada’s “MSM,” I have to say something out loud: The Parliamentary press gallery should share some of the profoundly shy-making discomfort that MPs from every party have been made to endure by becoming objects of worldwide ridicule owing to the Yom Kippur Eve incident.

I’ll have some sensitive stuff on the other side of the paywall about all that. We’ve been lurched right back into the “Chrystia Freeland Lied About Her Nazi Past” fiction that was mainlined into the Canadian news media directly from Russia’s embassy in Ottawa on January 11, 2017. And yes, it was and remains a propaganda fiction.

The years pass, and things change, but things also stay the same.

Unfortunately, we’ve all spent a great deal of effort being clever in our elucidations upon how to properly distinguish between a Ukrainian patriot and a Nazi collaborator in the terror time of the 1940s, and about where one might situate the boundaries of Soviet-occupied Eastern Galicia on contemporary maps of the Polish-Ukrainian borderlands, and other such boring ephemera.

This is what Moscow wanted. . .

No, that’s not something I wrote about what’s happening right now. It’s from six years ago, from my deep dive for Maclean’s magazine into the attack on Freeland that was put in play by Moscow’s diplomats in Ottawa, and by their useful Canadians idiots among certain “conservative” groupings and not a few “progressives,” as well as some journalists.

Worse, and even more crazy, Canada is being dragged even further back, to a Soviet-era dezinformatsiya operation aimed at pitting Jews and diaspora Ukrainians against one another. It was called
Operation Payback. I’ll be on about its implications, and the sensitivities attending to it, for paying subscribers below.

For all subscribers: full marks go to Lev Golinkin of the Jewish newsmagazine The Forward, in New York. It was Golinkin who broke the story about The Nazi In The Visitors’ Gallery.

Golinkin’s story was nothing like the usual Kremlinoid junk about Nazi puppetmasters running Ukraine and Nazis in high Canadian places. True, Golinkin is a controversial figure in Jewish intellectual circles in that his Nazi-hunting commitments are said to arise from an internalized pathology in a way “that does not help anyone except the producers of Russian propaganda.”

I wouldn’t know. Golinkin is himself a Ukrainian refugee who insists that 99 percent of Ukrainians are nothing like the Nazi diehards you’ll hear about in Russian government press releases, tankie webzines, paleoconservative People’s Party chatrooms and pseudoleft “anti-war” polemics.

Okay, full disclosure, here are my own biases​

Yes, I have my own biases here. My own affiliation with the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights hasn’t been an encumbrance, and neither has my affinity with the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs. But I do worry about the implications for my relationship with certain other leading voices in Jewish advocacy because of the difficult subject addressed in what follows.

When I launched this newsletter in February of last year I made it plain that the project was my response to a crippling epistemic incoherence throughout the Anglosphere that had enfeebled journalism in a terrible way, along with a declining capacity to discern knowlege from belief, fact from fiction and news from propaganda. See: Liftoff. So that’s “where Im coming from” here.

Only a few weeks later, in the matter of Russia’s barbaric imperialist war of conquest in Ukraine, I wrote this: Let's not be idiots this time, okay? Solidarity, unity and morale are important. Hearts and minds matter. Ukraine matters. I fear I might have been too optimistic, but that’s my standpoint still.

For all my acerbic treatment of the Trudeau government, I’m routinely badgered along these lines: Why are you always defending Chystia Freeland? I’m not, but I do have a history of championing Freeland’s interventions: She saw to the ouster of that Chinese Communist Party sycophant John McCallum, Canada’s ambassador to China, and she forced the ouster of Sergei Lavrov’s friend Stephane Dion, her Eurodweeb predecessor as Canada’s foreign affairs minister.

Also, she came to politics as a journalist and a partisan in the global struggle for liberal democracy. and she has championed one or two of my own interventions. Like the case of
Waseem Ramli, a Montreal man-about-town and Liberal Party benefactor with ties to Trudeau and to cabinet minister Marc Miller - and to Syrian mass murderer Bashar Assad.

Unbeknownst to Freeland, her own foreign afffairs bureaucrats had bestowed Ramli with top credentials as Syria’s consul-general in Montreal. This was a guy best known for showing up at Syrian refugee rallies in a scary-looking bright red Humvee with 1SYRIA custom licence plates, a rear window emblazoned with Baathist iconography and a side window obscured by a huge picture of Assad’s face. After I broke the story Freeland pulled his credentials right away. Miller has never forgiven me for it.

Also a bias: I’m among roughly 300 Canadians sanctioned by Russia, forbidden from visiting the country ever again. So is Freeland. She was one of the first Canadians to earn that honour.

And here’s where things get really touchy.

Do take out a paying sub to get over this wall. You won’t regret it. I’d prefer you choose the annual option, thanks. Less than you spend on coffee at either Tim Horton’s or Starbucks. Right here.

Dezinformatsiya, by mistake & on purpose​

The “monumental, unprecedented” embarrassment Golinkin’s story caused would have been a brilliant Larry David script for Curb Your Enthusiasm: What! Their entire government gave a standing ovation to a Nazi?! I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice! Except it’s not funny, because the joke played out in the real world, in headlines right around the planet.

And while it was happening, in real time, it doesn’t seem to have occurred to anyone in the Parliamentary press gallery to just stop for a second and think: ‘Hey, wait. House Speaker Anthony Rota just singled out a Ukrainian “hero” in the visitors’ gallery who was fighting the Russians sometime between 1941 and 1945. But. . . wasn’t Russia on our side against the Nazis back then?

Not to get too nitpicky about historical context and nuance and all that, but we were on the same side as the Russians back then, and the Allies expended enormous propaganda effort during those days to convince everyone that Josef Stalin was one of the good guys. That’s whose side we were on.

Even so, if you know anything about the Holocaust, you’ll know why we don’t adversely judge our “allyship” with Stalin between 1941 and 1945. But now you’ll want to think about the suddenly infamous old man Yaroslav Hunka, who was a child when the genocidal Russians were killing between 3.5 million and 10 million of his people in Ukraine.

If you know anything about the Holdomor, you might not want to get too judgy about the moral choice the teenaged Hunka made to enlist with German forces he himself called “the new enemy,” in order to keep the old Russian enemy at bay.

There is no evidence that Hunka was some kind of bloodthirsty Jew killer, by the way, and because he was a Slav he would never have been permitted to join the pure “Aryan” Nazi Party anyway.

But this much is unambiguous: the First Ukrainian Division that Hunka volunteered to serve was commanded directly by the Nazis. The division was otherwise known as the Waffen-SS Galicia Division, also the SS 14th Waffen Division, because that’s what it was - a division of the Nazi Party’ savage military wing.

And that particular SS division committed unspeakable atrocities in its service of the Third Reich in Ukraine, Poland, Slovakia and elsewhere. In Ukraine, President Zelenskyy himself has gone out of his way to oppose commemorations of that same Galician Waffen SS division.

There are deep wounds that this whole thing has opened. Irwin Cotler, the former Canadian justice minister who is my lodestar at the Raoul Wallenberg Centre, pointed out that back in the late 1940s Galician SS veterans had an easier time of it getting into Canada than Jews did.

But there are also deep propaganda currents at work here, and you don’t make a lot of friends when you try to drill down into them. So I’ll start with some low-hanging fruit.

“False Flag” stupidity, and a problem in the newsroom​

A couple of days after the House of Commons’ Mistake From Hell story broke, I was alerted to a vaguely familiar name showing up in respectable news media as an authority on Ukraine. Over the past week alone, University of Ottawa professor Ivan Katchanovski has appeared in the Ottawa Citizen, the Canadian Press and the Globe and Mail. Oh, that guy, it suddenly occured to me.

This is the same Ivan Katchanovski who shows up on Moscow’s RT News, and Tehran’s Press TV and “Truthout” and other such swamps of disinformation. He’s best known for his concoction of the popular Putinist conspiracy theory that the Euromaidan protesters massacred by Kremlin puppet Viktor Yanukovych in 2014 were killed by far-right elements among the protesters themselves.

It was a “false flag” operation designed to kick off the “Revolution of Dignity” that led to the overthrow of Yanukovich, the thing that had so enraged Putin. My friend Cathy Young has done tremendous work unraveling this nonsense, in this exploration
published in The Bulwark back in March.

Who are you calling a Nazi?​

I also highly, highly recommend freelancer Justin Ling’s substack newsletter from Tuesday: About the SS Officer in the Gallery: History is messy, horrible, complicated. All we can do is face it.

Apart from saving me a lot of effort and Real Story worldlength, Justin has done an amazing job of digging into Russian disinformation efforts in Canada. Takeaway line: “While there are occasions where crying ‘Nazi!’ should be the beginning and ending of the conversation, this isn’t one of them. So, rather than just weaponizing history, let’s try to unravel the past from the present.”

Lots of great spy-versus-spy stuff in there, too.

The SS Officer in the gallery story should not be expected to go away, anytime soon. There’s much about the past and the present that might soon unravel altogether.

On Friday, I heard from the Jewish advocacy organization B’nai Brith. They’ve now joined forces with an impressive array of civil-society and diaspora groups in calling for action on a proposal they put to the Standing Committee on Access to Information back in February. They want full public disclosure of federal records on Nazi war criminals who found their way to Canada, and they want the establishment of a public archive of Canada’s Holocaust records, too.

Here’s who’s backing the move.

This is serious business. Separately, Shimon Koffer Fogel of the Centre for Jewish and Israel Affairs says that the Hunka incident in the House suggests that Canada’s War Crimes Program should “review and consider any new evidence that has come to light from the release of archival material that further implicates those who committed wartime atrocities who are living in Canada.”

There’s a measured, wise standpoint. But if the B’nai Brith coalition succeeds - and fair play to them - the effort could threaten to upset the bonds that bind Jewish Canadians and Ukrainian Canadians. If Canada weren’t such an unserious country nowadays, that might not be something to worry about happening.

But what’s on the table now is effectively a relitigation of the Deschênes Commission of the 1980s, which was supposed to settle questions about Nazis in our midst. One shudders to think how much hay Russia would successfully make of that.

Operation Payback​

To get deep down into the unsettling questions at hand, subscribers would want to read Herbert Romerstein’s expansive analysis, Divide and Conquer: The KGB disinformation campaign against Ukrainians and Jews.

It would be far too simplistic to suggest that the anxieties and agitiations that led to the Deschênes Commission were a function of Soviet-era “active measures” pitting Jews and Ukrainians against one another. But Moscow did expend an astonishing degree of resources to inflame those tensions and feed those anxieties, and the KGB was happy with the payoff.

Just pointing this out can be like stepping into a minefield. The National Post was drawn into the arguments earlier this year for publishing an excerpt of a book by the Royal Canadian Military College professor Lubomyr Luciuk, co-authored by Volodymyr Viatrovych, titled Enemy Archives: Soviet Counterinsurgency Operations and the Ukrainian Nationalist Movement: Selections from the Secret Police Archives.

The KGB’s main target in Canada: The Galician SS division that Yaroslav Hunka joined as a teenager.

The Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Centre was not happy with the National Post. FSWC Director of Allyship and Community Engagement Daniel Panneton: “Democracies of the world have stood with Ukraine in the face of Russian President Vladimir Putin's unprovoked and aggressive war, but solidarity cannot tolerate Holocaust distortion and the glorification of Nazi collaborators.”

My friend Sean Maloney, also a history professor at the RCMC, wrote an extensive review of Enemy Archives, and here’s a couple of his conclusions. The KGB’s Operation Payback was strangely successful. And it’s especially threatening now, in light of Moscow’s insistence that its war crimes in Ukraine are all in aid of a “de-Nazification” of the country. “This is exactly what the Russia of Vladimir Putin is doing today vis-à-vis Ukraine. Indeed, resurrecting this Cold War-era controversy and attacking scholars that examine it even serves Russian objectives today.”

The Deschênes Commission, and the RCMP, spent a good deal of effort looking into the role the Galician SS played in the war. Both investigations found that its members had been properly screened before their admission to Canada, and that there was no evidence implicating them in war crimes.

That doesn’t mean that Canada’s Jewish advocacy organizations don’t have a point about releasing all the commission’s redacted files and establishing a publicly-accessible repository of Holocaust archives.

But like I said, in one of the first newsletters in the Real Story archive: Solidarity, unity and morale are important. Hearts and minds matter.

Ukraine matters.

I also highlighted parts of the article that talked about Russian disinformation efforts to smear Christine Freeland. I’m not a fan, but it’s important to base our criticism of her on reality. And in reality, she’s the only person who seems interested in getting serious on foreign policy. Hence why she was replaced by Melanie Joly.

Anita Anand also had a fair grip - and also got punted.

But now? Even Melanie Joly....

If the allegations are proven true, Joly said, it would be a “grave violation of our sovereignty and the most basic rule of how countries deal with each other.”Sep 18, 2023

And the bellwether Bill Blair ....

Blair also made the case that if the allegations are proven true, India's actions would represent a major challenge to international law and rules-based order. "I understand completely, every country in the world has strong trade interests in the Indo-Pacific region, as does Canada.6 days ago

Trudeau's pet Foreign Affairs Minister and DND Minister are both soft-pedalling the boss.

so does the Russian disinformation scheme include re-writing Alberta’s archives? About as soft as it gets is saying that a nominal acted as editor of Krakivs’ki Visti under ‘Nazi censorship’…which is fairly generous implying hardship, vice collaboration…

Mykhailo (Michael) Chomiak [Chrystia Freeland’s maternal gramdfather] was born in 1905 in the village of Stroniatyn in the province of Galicia in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, part of western Ukraine that would be annexed by Poland in the inter-war period. He graduated from Lviv University in 1931 with a Master's degree in law and political science. An avid journalist throughout his life, Chomiak first became associated with the Ukrainian daily newspaper, Dilo, in 1928 and from 1934 to 1939 served on its editorial staff. During the Nazi occupation of Poland in the Second World War, he was the editor of Krakivs’ki visti, published first in Krakow (1940-1944) and then in Vienna (1944-1945).

After the Soviet occupation, Chomiak fled to the German-occupied portion of former Poland, which had been reconstituted as the General Government, and settled in Krakow where he eventually found work with the Ukrainian newspaper Krakivs’ki visti.

Krakow became a centre of non-Soviet Ukrainian culture and a delegation led by geographer Volodymyr Kubiiovych approached Nazi governor general Hans Frank for permission to create a Ukrainian publishing house. Permission was granted and the Ukrainian Publishing House was formed as a limited company headed by Kubiiovych and financially supported by donations from the Ukrainian community.

The first director of the Ukrainian Publishing House was Ievhen Iulii Pelens’kyi, who received permission from the German press chief in Krakow, Emil Gassner, to appropriate the Jewish printing press of Nowy Dziennik, which had been shut down by the Nazis. After supplies and equipment were obtained, the first issue of Krakivs’ki visti was published under the editorship of Borys Levyts’kyi on 7 January 1940.

Levyts’ski was soon forced from the editor position by the Nazis and Chomiak took over early in 1940 and would remain in this position for the length of the paper’s run. Krakivs’ki visti would be published out of Krakow, under heavy Nazi censorship, until the approach of Soviet forces in October, 1944. The paper then transferred its operations to Vienna and continued to publish until March, 1945.

After the cessation of conflict, Chomiak was placed in Blonhofen Displaced Persons Camp until emigrating to Canada with his wife Alexandra, and daughters Oksana, Marusia, Halyna, and Christina in October, 1948. Two more children, Natalia and Bohdon, were born in Edmonton, AB.

After a brief period as a manual labourer, Chomiak found employment with Sherritt Gordon Mines in Fort Saskatchewan, remaining with the company until retirement. His primary interest, however, remained the Ukrainian community locally and internationally, and he played an active role in its affairs both formally and informally.

Chomiak was a member of several organizations and held numerous executive positions. From its inception in the 1950s, he was involved with the Ivan Franko School of Ukrainian Studies in Edmonton as a parent and as a teacher. He continued his journalistic work and research in Canada, editing several monographs, publishing scholarly articles, and writing for the Ukrainian press. After official retirement, Chomiak worked for a term (1978-1979) on the Ukrainian Encyclopedia project in Sarcelles, France, and in 1981 accepted the editorship of the Ukrainian Catholic weekly, Ukrainski visti, in Edmonton.

Mykhailo Chomiak died in Edmonton in April, 1984.

Also, firebombing Dresden, nuking Japan twice and some other things the allies did is pretty questionable.

The instructions to RAF, and RCAF, aircrews on the night of the Dresden attack gave them some reasoning for the raid:

and incidentally to show the Russians when they arrive what Bomber Commantd can do.

Which is preferable? The rapist with the MP-40 or the rapist with the PPSh-41?

I have no brief for either side here. But I have difficulty ignoring the fact that we are talking about people - people with lives, wives and children.

I am no fan of Truth and Reconciliation, Reparations or Retribution.

The English system involves judgement by peers. Peers are people that share the same circumstances.

... I’m not a fan, but it’s important to base our criticism of her on reality ...
I'm not a fan, either, but much easier to pick on her forebears, though, because of her Team Red jersey. Although doing that could open other cans of worms for other folks out there, too, for all we know.
And in reality, she’s the only person who seems interested in getting serious on foreign policy. Hence why she was replaced by Melanie Joly.
That right there. Someone more cynical than me might spot a pattern of ... issues with competent women within the broader Team Red Ottawa wheelhouse, but I don't know if I'm quite that cynical yet. After all, competent men have been shuffled about, too.

I'm not a fan, either, but much easier to pick on her forebears, though, because of her Team Red jersey. Although doing that could open other cans of worms for other folks out there, too, for all we know.

That right there. Someone more cynical than me might spot a pattern of ... issues with competent women within the broader Team Red Ottawa wheelhouse, but I don't know if I'm quite that cynical yet. After all, competent men have been shuffled about, too.

You'd almost think the Liberals were taking lessons from the Labour Party in the UK. They are strong feminists too.

You can declare something whatever you want after the fact, but at the time of the Third Reich they were a legitimate part of the government and were legitimate combatants as per the Geneva Convention.

Shall we declare basically every Canadian Regiment a criminal organization as during the first world war we were well known for committing war crimes and executing prisoners?
I'm not declaring anything. The SS was found guilty of being a criminal organization. It was an instrument of terror as used by the Third Reich.

Stop making false equivalences.

Back