• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sept 2023 UKR Vet Recognition Incident (merged from several threads)

Something that just occurred to me.

The Russians dominated, if not owned, COMINTERN since the revolution in 1917. From that date Russia and later the USSR, via COMINTERN, has been directly interfering in western politics by both legitimate and illegitimate means including armed struggle. That is 106 years of continued aggression. They declared a truce with the west in July 1941 because their ally, Hitler, stabbed them in the back. That truce held until May 1945 although even during the truce COMINTERN activities continued.

4 years of uneasy truce and forced common purpose in a 106 years of enmity.
Not to mention we should have declared war in 1939 when they invaded Poland.

We were supposed to protect their sovereignty, hence the declaration of war on Germany. Conveniently ignoring one of the invaders and later allying with them isn’t a good look.

Also unacceptable. TBH, I'd be more sympathetic if they at least made a public apology and did some real truth & reconciliation.

Most of these people are also hardcore denial masters as well. "Yah there were some crimes that were committed, but I was never personally involved...." is usually the line 😄
“Yeah…I was at the dentist the day that happened.”

Not to mention we should have declared war in 1939 when they invaded Poland.

That would make for some interesting alternative history...

Rus V Ger V Allies
Allies V Ger V Jap V Rus
Ger V Allies V Rus
Jap V Allies V Rus

That would make for some interesting alternative history...

Rus V Ger V Allies
Allies V Ger V Jap V Rus
Ger V Allies V Rus
Jap V Allies V Rus
Finland might have sided with us, could have had expeditionary forces fighting the Soviets in the Winter War. Maybe the winter war would never have happened. Maybe the invasion of the USSR might have been postponed due to the whole enemy of my enemy mantra.

Maybe because no winter war the USSR never tries to update their army and gets completely steamrolled by the Germans and they are destroyed much quicker.

USSR+Ger V Allies

Lots for a fiction writer to consider.

And you don't have to go back that far.

1965, Allan Gardens.

The Nazis.
1696540885295.png

A couple of months earlier when those who object to Nazis came to demonstrate against a speech by William Beattie, leader of the Canadian Nazi Party
1696541163724.png

Battered and bleeding, Beattie is led away from the mob which attacked him in Allan Gardens (that's not a "moustache" - just a bloody nose)
1696541677864.png

... And we used to complain about the US brining in Werner Von Braun and his merry band of Nazi scientists..... Canada, glass house, rocks....whoops.
Again, to be fair, I don't remember Canada's government doing all that much condemning of the Von Braun Brain Drain post-WW2. As always, I stand to be corrected.

There was, on the left, more than just a bit of complaining (especially with the nexus of nuclear weapons), but I don't recall any national-level condemnation.

I think most people viewed Operation Paperclip as an unseemly, but practical operation to ensure certain scientists did not fall into Soviet hands after the war. The idea of Werner von Braun falling into Soviet hands doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Letting in random members of the SS who may or may not have committed war crimes was done a lot quieter because I suspect most people would have been more upset about that.

I think most people viewed Operation Paperclip as an unseemly, but practical operation to ensure certain scientists did not fall into Soviet hands after the war. The idea of Werner von Braun falling into Soviet hands doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Letting in random members of the SS who may or may not have committed war crimes was done a lot quieter because I suspect most people would have been more upset about that.

The Jules Deschênes Commission enters the chat...

Obrist on Margolian, 'Unauthorized Entry: The Truth about Nazi War Criminals in Canada, 1946-1956'​

Even though the debate on the admission of Nazi war criminals to Canada after World War II seemed to have reached its apex in the mid-1980s, with the investigation of the Jules Deschênes Commission and its inquiries on war criminals, the issue has continued to stir historical interest in the 1990s and beyond.[1] This recent publication by Howard Margolian, Unauthorized Entry, revises the widely held view that Canada has been a safe haven for Nazi war criminals. Margolian is a Canadian historian with a special interest in the history of World War II and Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe. As the author of Conduct Unbecoming, he has already shed light on the story of the murder of Canadian POWs in Normandy and the trial and fate of the SS-General Kurt Meyer.[2] In Unauthorized Entry, Margolian challenges and refutes accusations stating that the King and St. Laurent governments had been negligent in the admission of Nazi war criminals and collaborators to Canada. His study concludes that neither the immigration bureaucracy, nor the immigration lobby in Canada, nor the western intelligence community were as responsible for the influx of about 2000 war criminals and collaborators as has been generally assumed. Instead, he argues, the blame is to be put on the war criminals and collaborators who gained entry to Canada by forged identities or by giving false information about their wartime history. The great majority of Nazi war criminals and collaborators who settled in Canada after the Second World War were admitted not on purpose, but as a result of the absence of, or inaccessibility to, information about their wartime activities. Margolian summarizes that, in view of the benefit drawn from the immigration of the 1.5 million immigrants arriving in Canada between 1945 and 1955, it was worth taking the risk and admitting some 2000 war criminals to Canada.

We live in the real world and sometimes very uncomfortable choices have to be made. Do we allow this Nazi scientest to work here in N America or risk his capture by the USSR and all that might entail? Or do we pass on it and have the world dominated by a brutal dictator(s)?

The Jules Deschênes Commission enters the chat...

Obrist on Margolian, 'Unauthorized Entry: The Truth about Nazi War Criminals in Canada, 1946-1956'​

Even though the debate on the admission of Nazi war criminals to Canada after World War II seemed to have reached its apex in the mid-1980s, with the investigation of the Jules Deschênes Commission and its inquiries on war criminals, the issue has continued to stir historical interest in the 1990s and beyond.[1] This recent publication by Howard Margolian, Unauthorized Entry, revises the widely held view that Canada has been a safe haven for Nazi war criminals. Margolian is a Canadian historian with a special interest in the history of World War II and Nazi-occupied Eastern Europe. As the author of Conduct Unbecoming, he has already shed light on the story of the murder of Canadian POWs in Normandy and the trial and fate of the SS-General Kurt Meyer.[2] In Unauthorized Entry, Margolian challenges and refutes accusations stating that the King and St. Laurent governments had been negligent in the admission of Nazi war criminals and collaborators to Canada. His study concludes that neither the immigration bureaucracy, nor the immigration lobby in Canada, nor the western intelligence community were as responsible for the influx of about 2000 war criminals and collaborators as has been generally assumed. Instead, he argues, the blame is to be put on the war criminals and collaborators who gained entry to Canada by forged identities or by giving false information about their wartime history. The great majority of Nazi war criminals and collaborators who settled in Canada after the Second World War were admitted not on purpose, but as a result of the absence of, or inaccessibility to, information about their wartime activities. Margolian summarizes that, in view of the benefit drawn from the immigration of the 1.5 million immigrants arriving in Canada between 1945 and 1955, it was worth taking the risk and admitting some 2000 war criminals to Canada.

There was one simple test that should have been - checking to see if the SS blood type tattoo was present or if it looked like a self inflicted wound had incurred there.
If you see the SS tattoo obviously more questions should have occurred and denial of entry.[/url]

There was one simple test that should have been - checking to see if the SS blood type tattoo was present or if it looked like a self inflicted wound had incurred there.
If you see the SS tattoo obviously more questions should have occurred and denial of entry.

Saw this, about that.

In a 1997 interview with Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes, Abella stated that getting into Canada was relatively straightforward for SS members, as their trademark tattoo indicated that they were reliably anti-communist.

Brutal, just brutal.
Wondered how much e.g. Galicia Division types, and their ilk, were let in as a resource of one kind or another; minimally, to avoid the ones who might feel a strong tie to their home turf regardless of rulers lending their skills to the new SSRs, and maximally as a source of fifth columnists.

Back