• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Send Up The Count" [Please read and send out the word]

muskrat89 said:
We see what is happening here and on Facebook; I thought I would share a glimpse of what else is going on at the grassroots level. I spoke with my parents today who are both very active in Unit #95 ANAVETS. As you may recall, Dominion HQ has sent "Send Up The Count" to Units all across Canada. Anyway, Unit #95 e-mailed it to every member; understanding that not all of their members are into e-mail or Facebook, they are handing out hard copies to all members at the next meeting. It has also been circulated to the Town Police Department and Ambulance service, RCMP Detachment (who were also sending it to Division HQ in Fredericton), 89th Field Battery (the local Militia Unit) and lots of other entities as well. It has been well-received and everyone involved is actively distributing through their respective networks...

That's fantastic, thank you. Would you like me to forward you my contact info in case anyone in any of those organizations wants to get in touch with me?

By chance do you have a link to anything ANAVETS has published/sent out so I can take a look? Just for my SA.

While I agree and fully support this initiative to reach out to vets who might be dealing with PTSD or OSI, I think it is equally important to remember that there are vets who need our help in other ways. Those who were released or retired solely because of physical limitations and have faded into anonymity. Vets who ended their service on good terms, but to whom time has not been a friend.

We need to be careful reach out to all vets who have lost connection with the greater veteran community, struggling or not.

Send up the count.

ModlrMike said:
While I agree and fully support this initiative to reach out to vets who might be dealing with PTSD or OSI, I think it is equally important to remember that there are vets who need our help in other ways. Those who were released or retired solely because of physical limitations and have faded into anonymity. Vets who ended their service on good terms, but to whom time has not been a friend.

We need to be careful reach out to all vets who have lost connection with the greater veteran community, struggling or not.

Send up the count.

:goodpost:

Thanks for that reminder, especially at this time of year.

ModlrMike said:

Send up the count.

I agree with ERC, an excellent post. This is important not just due to the time of year, but these older vets are now for the most far removed from their old service lives and connections and the related the support systems, both official and unoficial and/or do not know of them. In many ways that could make them even more vulnerable. How many will we miss in our count?

muskrat89 said:
It has also been circulated to the Town Police Department and Ambulance service, RCMP Detachment (who were also sending it to Division HQ in Fredericton), 89th Field Battery (the local Militia Unit) and lots of other entities as well.

I forwarded it to our CREMS (Community Referrals by EMS) program.

Referrals to CREMS are made by Paramedics who respond to 9-1-1 calls based on a determination that a patient is in need of additional healthcare or support services.

Danjanou said:
I agree with ERC, an excellent post. This is important not just due to the time of year, but these older vets are now for the most far removed from theor old service lives and conncetions and the related the support systems, both official and unofficial and/or do not know of them. In many ways that could make them even more vulnerable. How many will we miss in our count?

I have interviews today with CBC TV and radio, and Sun TV. Hopefully the CBC one in particular will reach many of those.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/veteran-finally-gets-his-medals/2916412301001

Aaaand here's the Sun interview. CBC to follow likely tomorrow.

Brihard said:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/veteran-finally-gets-his-medals/2916412301001

Aaaand here's the Sun interview. CBC to follow likely tomorrow.

Starts at 3:47 for anyone wanting to skip the stolen valour part.

I don't know much, certainly nowhere near enough, about OSIs, PTSD, and so on, but I do know a bit about how the media follows a story ... and why.

I also don't know much about how the CF, and the public healthcare system at large, reacts to and treats OSIs, but I do now a bit about people.

The great thing about "Send up the count" is that it is "one-to-one" or "peer to peer" and it doesn't need any formal organization or money or anything else: just a tiny bit of good will and individual effort.

It is sad to say, but I suspect this story doesn't have "legs," as media people say ... it is here because of a small spate of human tragedies and some reaction to them, including "Send up the count." It also provides a stick with which the media can prod government ministers in the hopes of provoking a misstatement and "Gotcha!"*

All of us, it's not a strength or weakness issue, can be lonely and that can turn, too easily, into a sense of isolation and that, I guess, can lead to clinical depression and a whole host of associated risks. The genius of "Send up the count" is that it addresses the root cause: it provides someone to whom a person can talk, privately and confidently, about whatever is bothering them. (As far as I know I don't have any "issues," but I was just at an event with a bunch of fellows of about my age and experience ~ infantry dinosaurs! ~ and I can talk to them in ways that I cannot talk with younger friends, my doctor or even my family.) It's the whole "shared experiences" thing and it works for everyone. We soldiers, have bonds with other soldiers that are incredibly strong, even after years and years, even after decades.

Just because the media attention to OSIs/PTSD etc will wane doesn't mean that we should stop "Sending up the count." Reaching out to old comrades in arms, offering a hand, or just an ear, is always a good thing.

_____
* http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-gotcha-journalism.htm

E.R. Campbell said:
I don't know much, certainly nowhere near enough, about OSIs, PTSD, and so on, but I do know a bit about how the media follows a story ... and why.

I also don't know much about how the CF, and the public healthcare system at large, reacts to and treats OSIs, but I do now a bit about people.

The great thing about "Send up the count" is that it is "one-to-one" or "peer to peer" and it doesn't need any formal organization or money or anything else: just a tiny bit of good will and individual effort.

It is sad to say, but I suspect this story doesn't have "legs," as media people say ... it is here because of a small spate of human tragedies and some reaction to them, including "Send up the count." It also provides a stick with which the media can prod government ministers in the hopes of provoking a misstatement and "Gotcha!"*

All of us, it's not a strength or weakness issue, can be lonely and that can turn, too easily, into a sense of isolation and that, I guess, can lead to clinical depression and a whole host of associated risks. The genius of "Send up the count" is that it addresses the root cause: it provides someone to whom a person can talk, privately and confidently, about whatever is bothering them. (As far as I know I don't have any "issues," but I was just at an event with a bunch of fellows of about my age and experience ~ infantry dinosaurs! ~ and I can talk to them in ways that I cannot talk with younger friends, my doctor or even my family.) It's the whole "shared experiences" thing and it works for everyone. We soldiers, have bonds with other soldiers that are incredibly strong, even after years and years, even after decades.

Just because the media attention to OSIs/PTSD etc will wane doesn't mean that we should stop "Sending up the count." Reaching out to old comrades in arms, offering a hand, or just an ear, is always a good thing.

_____
* http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-gotcha-journalism.htm

Another good post.

Shared in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act
The commander-in-chief of the Canadian Forces says the military and country must do more to treat post-traumatic stress disorder and prevent suicides among soldiers, explaining a “stiff upper lip” attitude needs to be overcome to help treat soldiers and veterans with mental illness.

In an exclusive interview with Postmedia News, Gov. Gen. David Johnston says the country has “paid a considerable price” for the Afghanistan war, including losing 158 soldiers, with many other troops coming home with lost limbs and mental scars.

After four Canadian military suicides were reported in the span of a week, Gov. Gen. Johnston said he regularly discusses with military brass concerns over PTSD and mental illness among soldiers, and insists that “one suicide is one too many.”

Chief of the Defence Staff General Tom Lawson was at Rideau Hall this week and said he is “very concerned” about PTSD and suicides in the military,  Gov. Gen. Johnston said.

“We have a unique situation where people in uniform often feel that it’s kind of stiff upper lip and you suck it up. And we have to overcome that notion, so that they, like anyone else, recognizes that mental illness is an illness like a physical illness, and you identify it, you deal with it, bring it out in the open, and you get at it to attempt to cure it, as we can in the overwhelming majority of cases,” Gov. Gen. Johnston said in a wide-ranging interview at Rideau Hall, in which he also discussed subjects from diplomacy to education.

“There must be a great sense of responsibility to our men and women in uniform, while in uniform, and when they become civilians again, right down to their base — the people that are with them on a daily basis. And I think we have a ways to go in that.”
National Post, 13 Dec 13

A Hamilton radio station did a story on SUTC, and they gave me a fair bit more time to work with- I was able to push that this isn't just PTSD and OSIs. That's an accurate criticism of how it's evolved thus far- perhaps, naturally, people suffering from those problems have been some of those speaking up loudest of late. But we've been remiss in not, up until now, sufficiently pushing the message that a lot of suicide is not PTSD/OSI related. We're aiming to correct that.

Word continues to come back in from units- support for this is fantastic. Thanks to everyone who's been checking up on guys.

https://soundcloud.com/am900chml/helping-soldiers-through-tough

I have distributed it to my PPCLI Association branch here in Kingston (including the National Association President) and to the Senior Serving ERE here.

Well done on this. :salute:

Through a member of my Association branch, this is now on unofficial distribution to the Ontario Provincial Police as well. Not only will it help the OPP (who are the police service of jurisdiction in many of the smaller places where some of our PTSD sufferers are located)  in their duties: it will help them as an institution as well. PTSD does not respect colour of uniform.

Merry Christmas

Re-posting from the Send Up The Count facebook page- another suicide, this time in Gagetown. Please note we did NOT put the name up on the page until it was disclosed by the CF and reported in the media.

- - - - - - - - -

Another sad day. We became aware yesterday of the death by suicide of WO Martin Mercier, of CFB Gagetown. WO Mercier was RCR, and posted to the 5 Canadian Division Training Centre. He was found at his home.

For every completed suicide there are usually several attempts as well. Sometimes they're more cry for help than serious attempt. Sometimes timely action by first responders and medical professionals saves a life. Sometimes it is the friends, family, and coworkers who catch that person in the attempt and are able to pull them back form the edge.

For every completion or attempt though, there are many people each day who hold back specifically because they have those in their lives who are showing that they care about them and their challenges, and who give them someone they can safely talk to about what's troubling them without being judged or cut down. We can all be that person- many of us probably have without even realizing just what we were doing for our comrades.

Keep an eye on your buddies. Remember the original effort of SUTC- find those guys you haven't talked to in years who you shared tours or time in unit with. Ask them if they're doing alright, and if they're released, find out if work, family life etc is going alright. You will never be wrong to flat out ask someone "Are you thinking about suicide?" or "Are you thinking about killing yourself?" We've had it happen here on this site and it's amazing how someone can open up as soon as someone that honestly cares asks the question. If you hear something from someone that worries you, and you don't know what to do- come here and ask, or shoot a private message to any of the admins, and we'll help out.

The response posted on SUTC to these new revelations:

Send Up The Count said:
SUTC has become aware of the very serious allegations against WO Mercier in the weeks prior to his death. We do not comment or hold opinion on criminal justice matters. Every suicide in the military community is a tragedy, regardless of the circumstances that led to it.

Everyone in Canada has the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty before the courts. We won't speculate on what truth if any there may be to the charges WO Mercier faced. We don't see this as relevant to SUTC's message or mission. It's simply way outside our arcs.

Summed up- this instance is pretty much a shit show. SUTC will stick with what we do. Whatever the underlying truth is of what happened leading up to this, what *is* certain is that many people are still affected by his death- friends and comrades of his who simply know the infantry warrant officer who they've served with. I know some of them, and so do many of you. People who counted themselves as his friends are still on this page. This is still an ugly shock to the military community. Continue to do what you do folks, and keep focused on helping out comrades.

Found this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1QoyTmeAYw

Well worth a listen to.  There are other presentations on mental illness such as depression and loneliness that fall into the periphery of this as well.

Some information from Discovery about "why" people destroy themselves. While hardly a diagnostic guide, being aware of these factors in yourself or others might make the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgLrHGymYc

Thucydides said:
Some information from Discovery about "why" people destroy themselves. While hardly a diagnostic guide, being aware of these factors in yourself or others might make the difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgLrHGymYc

Thanks, I've put that up on the page.

I'm also happy to report that we had a 'save' on one of our major bases this past weekend- someone noticed some red flags, and four guys who knew him were able to get the right people to the guy. He's being looked after.

Brihard said:
Thanks, I've put that up on the page.

I'm also happy to report that we had a 'save' on one of our major bases this past weekend- someone noticed some red flags, and four guys who knew him were able to get the right people to the guy. He's being looked after.

:cheers: Good on them! I hope they get a Bravo Zulu. It's hard to know when to step in sometimes.

Back