• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Send Up The Count" [Please read and send out the word]

ruxted

Inactive
Reaction score
At this time of year, if you're having a really, really tough time, you're not alone.

You may have heard of people who hurt so much, who thought they had so little to look forward to, that the world would be better off without them.

If you're so down on yourself that there seems to be no other way out, don't do anything until you've finished reading this.

Because you're reading this here, there's a good chance you're in the military, have been in the military or are interested in the military.  You may know what we mean by "send up the count".  There's a variation of this practice out there that's worth remembering if you or someone you care about is going through a rough time.

"Sending up the count" is something that's done when troops are out somewhere dark and dangerous, and the leader, normally up in front, wants to make sure everyone's still there.  The leader whispers, "send up the count" to the next person, who whispers it to the next person, who whispers it to the next person and so on until it gets to the last person in line.  That person starts the whispering back forward again, only this time, they start off by tapping the shoulder of the person in front of them saying "one".  The next person taps the shoulder of the person in front of them and says "two".  This continues until the person behind the leader in front taps the leader's shoulder with the number of people behind the first person in line.

We do this especially at night, when we can't see to the end of the line, or even see the next person.  We do this to make sure all is well.  We do this to make sure everyone knows that whoever's supposed to be there, front and back, is there.  We do this to make sure those on the team are still with the team.  And if someone is missing, we find them and bring them back into the group.

This happens in peace, and it happens in war.  It also must happen in the sometimes bewildering and frightening transition from war to peace. A vital part of our code is that we don't abandon our fellow soldiers, ever.

We need to remember that our "team" is still together. We will never forget one another; we shared too much. We, each of us, may be weak or broken but the bigger "we," the team, is still strong.

If you know someone who you think feels this bad, or if you haven't heard from colleagues in a while, reading this can give you an easy way to help.

Take it from  people who either know people who've harmed themselves or tried, or know family members and friends of those who have.

You cannot know how much of a hole in the lives of others that's left when someone decides they shouldn't be here anymore.  It may seem hard, but people want you to be better.  To stay around.  To be there.

If you need some help, it's easy to feel like you're in the dark, with no hope of help.

If you need some help, you can make sure you're still part of the team.

If you know someone in trouble, you want to see if they're where they're supposed to be, physically as well as emotionally. Help send up the count.

If you know someone who's having trouble, reach out, talk to them and make sure they know there's someone to listen.  Help send up the count.

If you're that person needing help, please, please, please don't be afraid to reach out.  A call.  An email.  A text message.  Whatever it takes to let people know you're there.  Remember your brothers and sisters who covered your back in action are ready to do the same for you today.  Help send up the count.

If you haven't spoken to people you've been through terrible times with in a while, reach out.  A call.  An email.  A text message.  Whatever it takes to let people know you're all there together.  Even if you don't work together in the same place anymore.  Help send up the count.

There are a lot of places with people out there to help you if you're going through a rough time, or to help you if you want to help someone going through a rough time.  A few of them include:

-- Touch base with any of the Regimental associations you're familiar with from your deployment, just to say hello and be included in their count.
-- There are people out there who've had a tough time, and gotten help from those out there to help - you can click here to send a private message to one willing to help you out.
-- 1-800-883-6094 (Operational Stress Injury Social Support)
-- 1-800-268-7708 (24-Hour Toll-Free Crisis Help Line, Veterans Affairs Canada/Canadian Forces Member Assistance Program)

If nothing else works, call 9-1-1 and explain what you're going through, or what whoever you're worried about is going through.  Someone there will help you.

You don't have to suffer alone.  You don't have to keep it inside.  In fact, it's better to talk about it than keeping it bottled up inside.

Asking for help when you need help isn't weak, it makes sense.

If you need help, or want to help someone who does, send up the count.
----
Special thanks to Brihard, daftandbarmy and all the others at Milnet.ca who came up with and helped put some flesh to this concept.

Also posted on Ruxted.ca

Ruxted: First, thank you very much for posting this.

I'm one of the guys involved with the post on this that's been flying around Facebook in the past couple days. The idea came form a buddy of mine, the 'send up the count' name was thought of by another member on this site, and I've somehow managed to start getting word out on it via various means.

There are a few of us working right now on making this into a more put together thing. We're not looking to create some sort of new service for vets- everything needed exists already and is run by smarter people than us. What 'send up the count' is about is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Talk to guys in your old platoons / dets  / troops from tour, and try to get a 100% accounting of what everyone's doing these days in life, confirm everyone has a place to stay at night, that they're working, and that if they're having problems, they have people to talk to and are doing so. The big thing here is to find those whoa re off the radar and have fallen through the cracks. It's particularly critical as we come into the holiday season.

It seems like out of everything right now that can contribute to helping guys with operational stress injuries, the biggest one is simply finding thsoe not already identified. The guys who you've heard from the least are the ones most important to get in touch with.

I'd implore current or former CF members to lend a hand on this. At the end of the day what it really means is talking to a few old buddies you've served with- not something onerous at all, and it will likely prove to be a good experience. But you could also save someone's life without knowing it.

Where's that cool morale patch you designed?

C'mon, don't be shy...

C&Ping the message that's going out via a host of other means.

Good evening,

I’m asking for your support. I’m a Canadian Forces veteran backing an initiative called, “Send up the count,” that is an a attempt to get as many veterans in Canada accounted for and looked after by those they served with. This is a non-political effort by veterans, for veterans, to try to catch our brothers and sisters who have 'fallen through the cracks' or are at risk of doing so. It goes without saying that recent events have inspired this, and it’s time to take action. The attached document details it all. I need your help forwarding this document to every serving and past member of the CF, any veterans you know of or any friends or family members of veterans that can help spread the word. The goal is to have phones ringing across the country December 6th, 2013, with veterans everywhere calling and checking in on other veterans. I need your help. They need your help. The intent is simple, the actions to take are straightforward, and the mission of saving the lives and livelihood of veterans is easily achievable by the people who were closest to them during their hardest experiences.

We're looking for the widest dissemination possible by any means. Social media, phone calls, posting in unit lines- anything that will help it reach another set of eyes or ears is of use. Thank you for your help in this effort to reach some of our most vulnerable veterans at what can be the most difficult time of year. The link below has a simple handout we've put together with a bit more info and some contact numbers for those in crisis.

Through this group we have access to many CF units and many levels of leadership/command. I would encourage and even implore you to consider pushign this out through your networks and amongst the members of your unit. The very point of this is that we often don't know who's hurting until someone goes to the trouble to ask.

Thanks folks,

Bri

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0euwumonw74nt6/Send%20up%20the%20count.pdf

I would like to share this with my PPCLI Association Branch and with the Legion Branch I belong to. Is that OK?

Of course PBI.
We want the word out as much as possible.

exgunnertdo said:
Excellent!

Sharing on Facebook and Twitter.
I've shared via Twitter using the
#sendupthecount
hashtag.

Thank you all for your contributions and work to get this going.  I fully support your efforts and will be doing my best to help contribute and send up the count as well.

On a related topic that I have been trying to help out the guys that were in my platoon overseas with, as well as anyone else that needs assistance is the push to help them if they find they are having issues getting medical treatment.  So with help from a fellow member of army.ca (Simian), the link provided is the guidance for medical care for members of the Primary Reserve.  Hopefully if others are having difficulty receiving treatment for any injury as a Class A soldier, this will help to get the ball rolling.

http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/health-sante/pd/pol/4090-02-eng.asp

Again, BZ to all involved in this effort.
Thank you.

Thanks.

Disclaimer: Any resemblance to the RCR cap badge is purely coincidental and is in no way meant to imply that they are trying to corner the market on this cool morale patch.  ;D

I actually thought it looked more like Corrections than The RCR.....

csc-corp-276x300.png
  ;)

Lots of very positive feedback rolling in- I'm hearing from lots of people who are saying "I'm in", and at the same time some messages from various organizations who work with vets are passing up the 'thank you'. I heard back from one of our very well known injured vets; he's interested and is gonna try to give this a plug. A PAffO friend of mine has at least one news outlet interested.

I'd highly encourage anyone to pass this around within their units/organizations. Part of the rationale behind Dec 6th is to try to catch units before they stand down for dissemination. If this could get mention at O Groups, or even just off net within the unit lines, that would be phenomenally helpful for getting word right down to the troops who are most likely still in touch with those guys that the system has already let slip and just noone knows it yet.

Note that while we have stuck a date on this, it's more to encourage people "Oh damn, I need to get on this". It can and should be an any time / any means sort of thing. If a single veteran is found living on the streets or on the brink of suicide through this, totally worth it.

daftandbarmy said:
Thanks.

Disclaimer: Any resemblance to the RCR cap badge is purely coincidental and is in no way meant to imply that they are trying to corner the market on this cool morale patch.  ;D
Plus, it's the most "Canadian" (or least "sheriff's badge") looking option available on the web site I used  ;D

This is really starting to get passed around over on Facebook amongst several of the various CF and Veterans pages and groups there. Lots of individuals sgaring and copying it, which is a good start.

Danjanou said:
This is really starting to get passed around over on Facebook amongst several of the various CF and Veterans pages and groups there. Lots of individuals sgaring and copying it, which is a good start.

Oh man, no kidding. My first post on it from a few days ago has something like over 170 shares that I'm aware of. My buddy and I I made a big push last night tog et this out and we're seeing results.

I've posted this to Facebook, Google Plus, and Twitter using #SendUpTheCount.  I've also suggested that the admins of my mess Facebook page post it.

ArmyRick said:
Sorry to be simple, how do I put this on my facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/453918921380630/

Click the link, it'll bring you to the Send up the Count facebook page and you can share one of the posts from there. You could also link http://milnewsca.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/send-up-the-count/

Back