• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

Mud Recce Man said:
In true military fashion, the plan to delay SLT for Officers is now changed again.  ::)

Apparantly, the folks just finishing BOTP are all headed to the Fort and CFLS now...

On the bus, off the bus...on the bus...

FWIW, it apparantly was a political decision, vice a military one.

We were told a few weeks before the course ended that most of us, especially combat arms trades and pilots, would be going straight to phase training, and we were all happy.
Then one day they handed us all posting messages to CFLS, and we were all sad.

We start getting fat, lazy, weak, and bilingual tomorrow morning  ;)

xmarcx said:
We start getting fat, lazy, weak, and bilingual tomorrow morning   ;)

Interesting. Too bad you weren't here this weekend. You just missed the Scrap-booking Convention they had happening in the Dextraze Pavillion.  :-\

The gym here is actually not bad, nor is the food. I think I gained an ounce this week.  ;D

Unless things have changed...SLT students are not allowed to eat or use the gym facilities on CFSJ...they have to go to the Mega.

However, folks that are at the NCM PD world at CFSJ can use them...again unless that has changed since...2 weeks ago...

The Librarian said:
Interesting. Too bad you weren't here this weekend. You just missed the Scrap-booking Convention they had happening in the Dextraze Pavillion.  :-\

The gym here is actually not bad, nor is the food. I think I gained an ounce this week.   ;D
Vern, did I hear you right? The food is not bad? lol. Man, how some things change... I remember it as being absolutely awful when I was there 3 years ago.

Mud Recce Man said:
In true military fashion, the plan to delay SLT for Officers is now changed again.   ::)

Apparantly, the folks just finishing BOTP are all headed to the Fort and CFLS now...

On the bus, off the bus...on the bus...

FWIW, it apparantly was a political decision, vice a military one.

There are also production capacity issues in the schools - more people than places on various phase courses.  So, rather than have people twiddling their thumbs, some are being sent on SLT.

Mud Recce Man said:
Unless things have changed...SLT students are not allowed to eat or use the gym facilities on CFSJ...they have to go to the Mega.

However, folks that are at the NCM PD world at CFSJ can use them...again unless that has changed since...2 weeks ago...

You are correct, the unwashed hordes of 2Lts can only use the food & gym facilities at the Mega. We have been given strict instructions to stay out of pretty much everything at the Fort except for our own beds, to keep us away from the young officer cadets and the grumpy senior NCOs.

xmarcx said:
You are correct, the unwashed hordes of 2Lts can only use the food & gym facilities at the Mega. We have been given strict instructions to stay out of pretty much everything at the Fort except for our own beds, to keep us away from the young officer cadets and the grumpy senior NCOs.

Yeah Ok, they sure as heck didn't miss the Mess though. Some, even bought this grumpy old Senior NCO a beer.
Hey do you SLT guys actually have staff to make your beds too like we did? That little perk shocked the hell out of me.

The Librarian said:
Yeah Ok, they sure as heck didn't miss the Mess though. Some, even bought this grumpy old Senior NCO a beer.
Hey do you SLT guys actually have staff to make your beds too like we did? That little perk shocked the hell out of me.

We all thought you are a WO. (because of your profile info of course)

A Snr NCO is a Sgt.  A WO isn't a Snr NCO, unless things have changed.  Hence the term "WOs and Sgt's Mess". 

Well, atleast, that is what was taught on my SLC (ILQ) back in 2002 anyways.  And my CLC in 1993...and...

Funny thing, this "paying attention to detail" thing.

But, what do I know.  I was only a Snr NCO for just about half my time in the CF. 

I am just a Cpl now.

MRM...out.

Mud Recce Man said:
We all thought you are a WO. (because of your profile info of course)

A Snr NCO is a Sgt.  A WO isn't a Snr NCO, unless things have changed.  Hence the term "WOs and Sgt's Mess". 

Well, atleast, that is what was taught on my SLC (ILQ) back in 2002 anyways.  And my CLC in 1993...and...

Funny thing, this "paying attention to detail" thing.

But, what do I know.  I was only a Snr NCO for just about half my time in the CF. 

I am just a Cpl now.

MRM...out.

Yes, I am well aware of what an NCM, Jr NCO/Snr NCO and WO are.

However, as the ILQ was loaded with WO's and the prep students are OCdts...and WE are all the ones who eat in the kitchen there and using the gym (ie the ones he was warned to stay away from)...I was quite sure that he was referring to us on course....his words were "grumpy Snr NCOs," and, in the context of personnel on the ILQ Course, his use of such is indeed correct.

And no things haven't changed. A WO on their ILQ (just like in the days of your SLC) is considered to be an A/L WO, thus, still legally only a SnrNCO until successful completion of that course...the rank to which they would revert should they fail?? Sgt. Just to stir your memory and attention to detail, which yes, is a very funny thing isn't it?

Are you having fun now MRM? Happy hunting. I bet that post by me just made your day.  ;)  No worries. It certainly doesn't bother me one bit.  ;)

Edit of the typo type.

After all the rumor and conjecture about SLT I can actually let you know that most folks will NOT be sent to SLT after BOTP.

We finished BOTP Aug 02 07 and only the Poilets and Social Workers were sent to "The Fort" to learn Francais. The rest of us were sent on our way. The air force and navy to OJT and us army folks to Gagetown.... yes Gagetown were we sit on PAT  :blotto: and wait for the overloaded system to find room for us.

rossco said:
After all the rumor and conjecture about SLT I can actually let you know that most folks will NOT be sent to SLT after BOTP.

We finished BOTP Aug 02 07 and only the Poilets and Social Workers were sent to "The Fort" to learn Francais. The rest of us were sent on our way. The air force and navy to OJT and us army folks to Gagetown.... yes Gagetown were we sit on PAT  :blotto: and wait for the overloaded system to find room for us.

Wow! Must be a new officer occupation ''Poilets''. What background do you need for this one?

New one came out yesterday. PAO is also mandatory SLT.

Did all of the PAO's get sent on SLT? I heard even that MOC, the training is being deferred to later in the member's career.

Maybe it will be taken later but as of last week, it is a MOSID that requires SLT for both Anglos and Francos so we must tell new enrolees that they can plan for up to 33 weeks of SLT sometime after IAP/BOTP.

Rick, whats the new official policy for the CBT Arms trades, I'd heard it was changing but hey who knows??

"Are the ZERO trades going to SLT after BOMQ"

;)

...or are they off to CAP?

I realize that this thread started as a discussion about SLT WRT BOTC (how's that for an acronym run?), but isn't this nearly the last year that MWOs can be promoted CWO without SLT. I seem to recall that it's either this year, or 2011.

The language school that 2Lt's fresh out of BOTP usually get posted (or in my case.. TD to). I assume it is in St Jean. I know there is another large language school in Borden, as well as smaller language schools at the Wings/Bases.

Back