• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Second Language Training ( SLT )

Inch said:
When I was there people started on Mod 8 but still did the full 8 months, ending on about mod 23 or something to that effect. I didn't mention it before, but there are 10 week courses that are run in the summer for CivU ROTP types, but I still stand by my info in that if you're loaded on an 8 month course, you're staying for the full 8 months. I don't know of anyone that got a shorter course in the 8 months that I spent there.

At the most recent SLT serial in St. Jean, I know of atleast 4 fellows who enjoyed only 4 months of extra time in the Mega. They had all tried and were originally unsuccessful during their initial testing. (I know three of them had to get their BAB). I think they got their C's.

Needless to say, If you are not fluent, or were not raised on beans and chocolate spread for breakfast, you will be doing your time in the Mega. Subway does have good coffee.

I guess that's a new development. In the end, it doesn't really matter, it's all pensionable time.  ;D

Thanks for the info. fellas.  Based on what I have read I think I might as well kick back and prepare for 8 months and Subway coffee.  True enough, it's all pensionable time regardless.  So, how are the courses run?  Is it just French language training and PT?  At least it sounds like we get off base a bit.  How about weekends?

When I was there, we were in class from 0800 till 1500 with an hour for lunch and the standard 10 min breaks after 50 mins of class. If you weren't in class, what you did with your time was up to you. I played intersection hockey a couple nights a week and the odd shinny game if I could remember when it was. Thurs were always a good night at the mess, and we usually spend Sat and Sun in Montreal or the south shore.

Does everyone have to do second language training? I'm applying for Infantry and this is the first I'm hearing of it. I knew it was optional, and I was planning on doing it anyway, but I never heard that everyone had to do it.

I haven't heard of anyone being given the choice. If you're ROTP and you have time in the summer then that's where you go(to french). And if you're DEO you do basic and then the long 8 month thing. I have no idea if NCM's have to take french though if that's what you're talking about.

Sarah

snowy owl said:
I haven't heard of anyone being given the choice. If you're ROTP and you have time in the summer then that's where you go(to french). And if you're DEO you do basic and then the long 8 month thing. I have no idea if NCM's have to take french though if that's what you're talking about.

Sarah

No NCMs I know have had to take french (or had the option to).  I know I'd jump at the chance to go to french school for 8 months :)

I'm not sure which serial you're talking about (starting May I guess?). But I was with an "advanced" group in Jan, we didn't follow the mods since the only thing we were missing was the verbal component since we all had essentially CBA profiles. We were given the chance to leave in May by taking the test... we all scored CCBs with one person that got a CCC, so I don't think it's that uncommon.

Bograt said:
At the most recent SLT serial in St. Jean, I know of atleast 4 fellows who enjoyed only 4 months of extra time in the Mega. They had all tried and were originally unsuccessful during their initial testing. (I know three of them had to get their BAB). I think they got their C's.

Needless to say, If you are not fluent, or were not raised on beans and chocolate spread for breakfast, you will be doing your time in the Mega. Subway does have good coffee.

Having no French at all in my education background, I started taking Adult French courses. Trying to learn as much as I can before I am shipped off to the SLT. Not trying to shorten my time, but prevent myself from being overwhelmed.

The course is offered at a elementary French school not far from my house, is in the evening and is extremely cheap ($120 for four months, 2 hours a week course). I suspect most schools of this kind would offer such courses. So it might be a good idea for those who feel they need to brush up, or are starting from scratch like myself.

One questions about the results mentioned here. What is the required rating to pass SLT? (CCC? BBB?)

Pieman, the profile required to pass the St-Jean course is B (Reading) A (Writing) and B (Oral).

Pencil Tech said:
Pieman, the profile required to pass the St-Jean course is B (Reading) A (Writing) and B (Oral).

Minor Change

B- Comprehension
A- Oral
B- Writing

Bograt said:
Minor Change

B- Comprehension
A- Oral
B- Writing

Unless they've changed things quite a bit, you have the last two mixed up (A-Writing/Written Expression, B-Oral)

I'm not so confident about it now.

Cheers for the clarification.

Does anybody know what the deal is with SLT in St Jean? Figuring IAP + BOTC = 14 weeks, and then as much as 7 months for SLT- Does this mean I'm going to have to live away from my wife for the first year of my military career? Is she allowed to come down for any extended time or is it just restricted to week-end visits? Any advice would be appreciated.

Maritime_Matt said:
Does anybody know what the deal is with SLT in St Jean? Figuring IAP + BOTC = 14 weeks, and then as much as 7 months for SLT- Does this mean I'm going to have to live away from my wife for the first year of my military career? Is she allowed to come down for any extended time or is it just restricted to week-end visits? Any advice would be appreciated.

Unless things have changed, if you're doing a winter BOTC serial, you'll be getting out of Language School around August.  Basically, your job during that time frame will be to learn french...regular work hours, Monday to Friday.  After hours is your life and you can take off on the weekends with a leave pass.

Seeing that you're married, you'll get separation allowance...pays for the shoebox room and the weekly bacon-wrapped turkey tornados.  When I was there, some people chose to go off rations...not a very popular choice for your mod-mates, especially if you can't cook or think that the bathroom sinks are a good place to soak pots.  You can get a phone in your room and the cable connection usually has a few splices.

Some people chose to fly the spouse out to St-Jean and find a place to live off base....imposed restriction, so you'll do it on your own dime.  You also have leave entitlements and can fly back home on block leave (or fly to wife out to Montreal for a vacation).

Life can get very repetative, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.  The Mega has a theatre and a decent gym...use them.  If you don't have a car, find someone who does that shares your interests.  Even if you're stuck inside...GO OUTSIDE.  It's very easy to enter the Mega and never go outside, especially during the winter.  Every weekend I was in downtown Montreal.  Getting out will maintain your sanity, and give you some good opportunities to practice the language.

Finally...yes, it's a long go.  In my first year in (and my first year of marriage), I saw my wife 21 days out of the entire year.  It gets better, just takes leaving the Mega for that to happen.  ;D

Reinforcing a question asked earlier but never answered:

Is SLT run similarly to any other military course? With PT, etc?

thorbahn said:
Reinforcing a question asked earlier but never answered:

Is SLT run similarly to any other military course? With PT, etc?

PT is on your own initiative. You'll have plenty of time for it, i.e. you'll make the time. ;) Those who are going on CAP do have a weekly ruck march, but other than that, it's a little more lax. They'd probably have you sign up for some OPME courses as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do them since I've been told numerous times that you generally don't have much time for them when you're trade qualified.

Frack the OPME courses while you are doing SLT.  You are better off concentrating on your SLT because in the end it means more than the OPMEs.  Do them later you will have lots of time when you are "trade qualified".

kincanucks said:
Frack the OPME courses while you are doing SLT.  You are better off concentrating on your SLT because in the end it means more than the OPMEs.  Do them later you will have lots of time when you are "trade qualified".

Generally, I'd agree with you. The main point of SLT is to get some proficiency in your second language. But, the OPME courses they had us do were the Defence Management and Intro to Military Law which do not require that much time away from studying, just a bit of weekend work is basically all that's needed. I'm not suggesting taking all 6 courses at once, just those two and maybe 1 more in the second term and half the requirements are gone.

Besides, based on what I saw during SLT, most people do have a spare hour or so if they choose to use it constructively (after the SLT studying and PT).

As for lots of time after "trade qualification", I'm getting the opposite impression from some of the Lts and Capts. Then again, some of those who come through RMC have the advantage on that score since most of the OPMEs are covered in their degrees.

Back