• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Scoliosis

Well I guess it's a good thing Sig was , in fact, able to give the only answer that was needed, or asked for, right?  Without all the bs antagonism and vitrol that some just seem to love slinging.  Kinda unfortunate that he wasn't the first person to respond, as it would have saved a lot of that bs.

If you're physically able to do the job, and are not likely to present a liability to the CF in the future, then they will accept you, however, as has already been pointed out to you by several people, no one can decide if you are except the recruiting centre, specificly, the medical folks. The answer everyone else gave you is valid. Go to the recruiting centre, find out,

And yes, regularly end up teaching, as do most of the folks who post regularly to this board, learning to teach is a requirement for promotion beyond corporal for all trades in all branches of the CF.

Enough of the entertaining chit chat.  :argue:

Willow said:
Will having scoliosis automatically bar me from entry into the military? 

No it will not automatically bar you from entry to either component of the CF. But depending on the severity of the scoliosis it may prevent you from being recruited for certain trades and even make you unfit to be in the CF, as determined by your examining physician, PA or medic. Ultimately, DMed Pol or a group very similar will make the final judgment call.

FYI, many people have mild scoliosis.

You have to be EXAMINED to determine just how minor your scoliosis is, a history has to be taken and information from the treating physician or practitioner must be obtained prior to making that decision.  However, if you walked into my office and your looked like Quasimoto, I would suggest right there and then that you withdraw your application no questions asked.  Long and short, you need to go through the process as it's one of those grey areas - it's not like you have Insulin Dependant Diabetes where it's cut and dried.  Nobody here is going answer the question any other way - other than with varying degrees of politeness and patience. 

MM

As everyone who has ever watched the movie "300" may realize, not every child is given the opportunity to grow up to be a Spartan.

Rider Pride said:
As everyone who has ever watched the movie "300" may realize, not every child is given the opportunity to grow up to be a Spartan.

:rofl:

By far the best retort I think I've ever come across on these boards. Well played!

One of the reasons "Don't even try" came (comes) up in this thread and others like is simply this - alot of hand wringers come here looking for what they want to hear, that their problem, no matter how miniscule or ginormous it might be, shouldn't interfere with their joining the CF.  Facts are we can't diagnose you over the internet, there are lots of grey areas with conditions, and the Regulations frankly change almost on an hourly basis.  That being said, the only real way to know is to apply - and some people don't want to hear that, they just want to be able to say that "Someone at Army.ca  said I'd be fine..." and we can't.  If the person starts to fly off the handle and are uber worried/obscessed, some will just say "fine, you just threw your teddy in the corner, don't bother" - because frankly, that's what will happen at Recruit School when things don't go their way (and invariably, they don't for all comers at some point in time). 

MM

Hey all,

I've recently been deemed medically unfit to join the CF due to a few issues, the main one being vertebral subluxations. I've been seeing a chiropractor weekly for a while now and feel totally fine now. I just continue going for postural maintenance. I'm about to appeal this decision, but I'm not sure how to go about writing it. What sort of information and how much information should I include? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

CAFRN said:
I've recently been deemed medically unfit to join the CF due to a few issues,

CAFRN said:
I'm about to appeal this decision, but I'm not sure how to go about writing it. What sort of information and how much information should I include? Any help is appreciated.

(Enrollment Medical ) Challenging a medical decision/Requesting second review 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/37404.25

(Enrollment ) Medical appeal 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/68680.0

( Enrollment ) Medical Appeals
http://army.ca/forums/threads/83309.0/nowap.html

( Enrollment ) Failed to meet Medical Standards.
https://army.ca/forums/threads/110159.0
"I'm planning on appealing their decision and discussing why I disagree with it.  If anybody has some helpful information with regards to this situation it would be greatly appreciated!"

etc....

I have a friend in my troop with scoliosis, it doesn't inhibit him and he obviously passed medicals, but it does present some concern.

kelsauce said:
I have a friend in my troop with scoliosis, it doesn't inhibit him and he obviously passed medicals, but it does present some concern.

Obviously this dude/ette's scoliosis is worse than your buddy's, else they would have been enrolled by now. 

MM

CAFRN said:
Hey all,

I've recently been deemed medically unfit to join the CF due to a few issues, the main one being vertebral subluxations. I've been seeing a chiropractor weekly for a while now and feel totally fine now. I just continue going for postural maintenance. I'm about to appeal this decision, but I'm not sure how to go about writing it. What sort of information and how much information should I include? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
The fact that you require weekly chiro and ongoing postural maintenance is incompatible with long term military service. Good luck with your appeal, but, if I was a betting man...

Las week I had medical exam at CFRC for my re-enrolment.
Doctor found scoliosis and asked my family doctor to fill papers.
For me it was big surprised cause in my 40s  I never had back pain or so.I haven't been diagnosed with scoliosis.

I know nobody can say here if CAF accept it or no.
But I hear there is maximum degree what can be accept . I heard about 19° or mild scoliosis.
Is it true?
Now I am waiting for appointment with my family doctor and feel so frustrated about if can affect to my application.
Any comments will be appreciated

secondchance said:
Any comments will be appreciated

Only to add this to the comments above,

Canadian Armed Forces Medical Standards
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/index.page

mariomike said:
Only to add this to the comments above,

Canadian Armed Forces Medical Standards
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/index.page
Which chapter ?

secondchance said:
Which chapter ?

It says,

"Questions?

If you need additional information pertaining to CFP 154 please send an email to the following address: CFP 154 Standards mailbox"

mariomike said:
It says,

"Questions?

If you need additional information pertaining to CFP 154 please send an email to the following address: CFP 154 Standards mailbox"
Thanks

Back