• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Schedule of CAP

hoote

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone have a course syllabus for CAP?  I'm starting this may.
thanks.

I am also going to be in gagetown for cap 01 may. My best guess would be looking at emails that cap emails are going to. other than that can they realease that info?  I know my father who is military was able to find out exactly when I was going.  Other than that. see you in may.

I know I always get the same way before a course;  trying to find out all the inane details involved with it beforehand.  It's good to be eager.  However, I've found that knowing the details early really doesn't help in any way.  Rest assured that you will know all the schedule details when you need to know them.  The schedule is usually a fluid document anyways, and changes frequently.

I had a blast on CAP.  It was stressful and difficult, but I made some really awesome friends, and always found things to laugh about.  My staff were funny and I respected them (for the most part).  We had one MCpl who was crossing the boundary between staff and course member though.  We all loved him, but understandably the other staff weren't impressed.  PT every morning in garrison, mostly running interspersed with rucksack and webbing marches.  The staff were hard on us and expected a lot from us both physically and mentally.  We spent a lot of time on the range: C-9, C-7 and grenade.  And we always marched back from the range, day in and day out.  It was about 5 or 6km.  The march was a bit more difficult than one might think because the majority of the march is uphill.  I can't remember which range my platoon was on, some were closer than ours and some were further too. 

The last five weeks of the course were spent in the field (not including weekends).  The main class and evaluation topics were: navigation at day and night (with PLGR GPS and without), occupation of a hide, section attacks, patrols, and the defensive (digging in).  There seems to be something I'm forgetting, oh well.  Plus, our staff was fond of middle of the night platoon moves (bugouts) where the course senior would be in charge of the move and the new occupation including navigation.  Navigation was fairly difficult because Gagetown is incredibly swampy and has VERY thick bushes and trees.  It made trying to travel in a straight line to your nav destination virtually impossible.  The defensive part wasn't much fun, it rained and everyone's feet were falling apart.  Plus it was right at the end and we were ruined.  One of my favourite moments was getting on the radio as pl cmdr and screaming out orders to the sections through my gas mask and over the din of the pyro.  The patrol section was pretty good.  Made you feel kind of stealthy sneaking around in the bushes to some pre-determined recce point.  The culmination of the field time included a company-sized attack that included the Phase III Infantry guys and others.  It was pretty interesting seeing all the people involved.  After coming out of the field we did the Commander's Cup which included a C-7 rundown competition on the range and a 13km ruck march followed by a run through the obstacle course.  I didn't enjoy the competition very much, although some did. 

I think CAP has changed significantly from when I did it, since they combined CAP-R and CAP.  The year I did it there were very few civy U people(like me) and mostly all RMC kids.  Those kids are tough and I think it caused the staff to push us harder.  Although, no one suffered more than the Franco platoon.  Those guys really got it bad from their staff.  People who had been re-coursed from the previous summer said that the Franco platoon got it worse then too.  I don't know if that's always the case.  It seemed as though the Franco staff were always trying to prove their course was the toughest and in doing so, they were constantly being "c*cked". 

For the non-combat trades, CAP could be the most intense course one will ever go on.  It was a real character builder for me, and I look back on it with fondness.  For everyone going on it this summer, try to take things in stride and stay positive!  Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.  I have another question.  Is there a specific kit list to bring to cap or is it the same as BOTP?  For example, do you use civvie PT gear or the grey PT short and long?  Is there a civvie lockup if I bring a suitcase or does it all have to go in a locker like in BOTP?  Can I use a camelback? or my own webgear/tacvest if its OD or cadpat? 

Lots of questions I know.  Any help would be appreciated.

With ref to tac-vest, you can ONLY USE ISSUED ITEMS no other items are allow.

With ref to camelback, that will depend on your course staff.

Please remember that things may have changed since I did CAP (two years ago) so these answers should be taken with a grain of salt. 

We were able to wear our own PT shorts, no particular colour or style, and had to purchase a PT shirt that had the Infantry School logo on it.  Long grey PT sweater if it was cold.  All your civy stuff can be stored in the big overhead closets in your room.  It's annoying  and awkward having to climb onto a chair to get at the stuff when you want it, but there's plenty of room to fit a moderately sized suitcase.  The closets have to remain locked at all times, so bring at least three locks.  They were pretty liberal about what we could keep in the desk drawers, no real standard, just as longs as it was tidy.  The inspections weren't very tough, they didn't matter very much except that things were neat and in reasonable order.  The only thing that really mattered was the state of the weapons. 

We were allowed camelbaks and most of us had them, however, they had to be green, black or any other dark neutral colour.  If they weren't they could be covered with scrim for camouflage.  Blue straws were not allowed!  Only clear or a dark colour.  If you don't want to pay the 60 bucks for a camelback, I would suggest getting a straw for your canteen.  It works just as well and you don't have the added annoyance of dragging the camelbak everywhere (losing it, etc.) and it is fairly frustrating to fill it with a jerry can (impossible as a one man task). 

When I did CAP no one was allowed to use a tac vest, they weren't issued to non-operation units then.  If it's an issued tac vest then bring it.  If it's non-issue and no one else has it, you probably won't be able to use it.  My summer was the first year that flak jackets were used too, keep that in mind.  If you're a big dude, there's plenty of sizes that will work for you, but if you're small like me you might get stuck with whatever size is available (not many small ones).  If it's non-issue webgear I doubt it.  Until you're overseas or comfortably in place with a unit, I don't think a soldier is in a position to make the call about what kit he should carry. As an officer I don't think it's proper to be carrying around a bunch of fancy kit that his troops don't have (in this case your fellow platoon mates).  If the issued kit is good enough for all the troopies than it should be good enough for you.  We couldn't use headlamps either, so don't purchase one until you've been given the ok. 

Ladies/Gents:

Get on the DIN and go to CTC Gagetown for joining instructions/kit lists, etc. I believe that on the kit list it suggests bringing DEUs. If you have them do not bother bringing them - - half of the course candidates will not have them anyway. Adhere otherwise to the kit list. Bring 3 good KEYED locks, a rough draft autobiography, and good attitude and all else will be fine.

First mod commences 1 May 06. You'll need to be nominated by your unit and then receive a confirmation of loading (followed by a route letter, etc.) from your unit before you can go. Good luck.

:cdn:

You're at RMC. Ask someone who has DIN access to download the info for you then.

So they use the TV's now for CAP training?  Both Reg and PRes? 

Yes.  Tac Vests all around.  If you don't have one when you get to the School of Cool, you'll sign for one on a TI card with everything else they give you.

I've "heard" one of the biggest things is being sleep deprived - deliberately.  I can't comment on that from personal experience until July. To all those going to CAP on May 1, see you there!

Does anyone have a comment or info regarding the "Note" on Page 2A-2/3 of the joining instr that refers to **AFV/AC Recog and Instruct Personnel** being "Distance Learning" for PRes officers? I was under the impression that I was enrolled on a complete Reg Forces course that did not require in house or DL POs...

Those joining instructions are out of date potentially.  The standard joining instructions for Gagetown certainly are.

Come August you'll learn what sleep deprivation can feel like, during the last exercise you will discover strengths within yourself you had no idea existed, and you'll start to understand "pink bunnies" when you've been on patrol taskings for two or three days straight, or defending your position non-stop for three days.

Back