• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saluting the PM

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Saw the CDS saluting him at the Cenotaph. Is that required or is it an un-needed courtesy? I don’t support it but then I’ll never be in the position to have to make that choice.

Saw the CDS saluting him at the Cenotaph. Is that required or is it an un-needed courtesy? I don’t support it but then I’ll never be in the position to have to make that choice.
From the drill manual: In Canada, military compliments are only paid to the Sovereign; the Governor General; members of the Royal Family; recognized foreign royalty; foreign heads of state or government; the Prime Minister; the Minister and Associate Minister of National Defence; lieutenant-governors; and commissioned officers. Exceptions, such as compliments paid to deceased service members, are as detailed in paragraphs 20 to 23 and paragraphs 25, 26, 28, 29 et 41.

Saluting an elected official seems wrong, although the Prime Minister is actually an appointed position, so I guess it works.

I think it shows appropriate deference and subordination to the lawful civil authority. Setting the position/appointment as distinct from the individual occupying it at any given point in time, I’m comfortable with that.
We are saluting the office, not the person that holds the office. Same when you salute officers - its the commission you're saluting, not the person holding that commission.

We are saluting the office, not the person that holds the office. Same when you salute officers - its the commission you're saluting, not the person holding that commission.
I was taught to salute on entering another Officer's workspace - even if of an equal or lower rank. The root of Officer is Office, as in "hold an Office"

Back