• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That photo reminds me of what Dallas homicide detective Jim Leaville said to Lee Harvey Oswald: "Lee, if anybody shoots at you, I hope they're as good a shot as you are."
( They were hand-cuffed to each other. )

News Room
Clarification Regarding The Military Justice System And Military Pension
MA-10.098 - October 20, 2010

OTTAWA ─ The judicial process surrounding Colonel Williams has generated a great deal of public interest on a number of issues related to the management of military personnel and the military justice system. Unfortunately, some defence analysts have provided the media with incorrect interpretations of the law.  This note is intended to offer news editors and reporters clarification on the following two points:

Colonel Russell Williams cannot be tried by court martial.  Some analysts on National Defence matters suggest that Colonel Williams should also be tried through a military court martial in addition to the ongoing civilian justice proceedings. To suggest this possibility is simply wrong in law. This is because Section 66 of the National Defence Act specifically prevents an individual from being tried by court martial where the offense, or any other substantially similar offense arising out of the same underlying facts, have been previously dealt with by a civilian court. This basic principle, often referred to as “Double jeopardy”, is fundamental within our civilian and military justice systems. Editors and reporters are invited to consult Section 66 of the National Defence Act at: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/N-5/page-3.html#codese:66

The Canadian Forces cannot remove Colonel Williams’ pension.  The Canadian Forces Superannuation Act determines a member’s pension entitlement upon release. Entitlements are calculated based on years of service and earnings, and are not affected by the type of release from the military, whether he is convicted by a civilian court or a military court martial or the sentence. Editors and reporters are invited to consult the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act at: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/N-5/page-3.html#codese:66

Additionally, with Colonel Williams’ conviction now confirmed by the court, the CF are in a position move ahead with the following actions:

the prompt release of Colonel Williams from the armed forces;
the termination and recovery of his pay from the date of arrest;
the removal of his medals;
and other measures to be determined.

readytogo said:
The old way of punishing criminals (even criminals like Col. Williams, or Paul Bernardo, etc, etc, etc) is outdated.  Eye for an eye does not work.  If it did work or was an effective deterrant for capital offences then why do the Americans and other nations in the world still continue to find people to execute? The death penalty is not stopping people from killing eachother.  IMO a 6x9 cell without windows or exposure to other human beings is the proper way to dispose of convicted murders and those who endanger or do harm to our children.  By committing these crimes Col. Williams has forfeited his charter rights and should be subjected to the above punishment for 23 of 24 hours a day for the rest of his life.  Ending his or any other monsters life makes us no better than him. Civilization must hold itself to a higher moral standard.  My :2c:

Tangent ends

Bollocks!! It may indeed not be a deterrent, but, BUT, it will prevent a second occurrence.  Take for example the sad case in Texas that made the papers the past week.  The subject killed another 6 people including his brother and nieces and nephews.  This after already spending years in jail for another killing.  Gingras, another killer who escaped to kill again.  Bernardo, Olsen and Picton are not redeemable nor I wager Williams.  Rope is cheap and reusable.  Bugger spending big tax dollars on housing these assholes.  There are plenty of victims who have been taken by killers getting a second chance.  Screw them!!  They are a danger to society, and society comes first.  :2c:

From your article NFLD Sapper:
Quote:
"and other measures to be determined"

As I stated earlier.....those measures should include an input from the much higher authority.

My thoughts ;D

Bring back the death penalty for this type of crime. Maybe the inmates will pass judgement on him so that these girls get justice.

tomahawk6 said:
Bring back the death penalty for this type of crime. Maybe the inmates will pass judgement on him so that these girls get justice.

He'll be in segregation and when he's out of his cell, no other inmate will be.

....he should have to deal with "internal" (prison) justice IMHO , none of this segregation BS.! .

I  had a chance to see the raw footage of Williams confession. To  me,  while he tried to hide it at first, he seems honest  in telling all and ready to face the consequences.  He almost seems confused himself that he  committed the crimes he did and perhaps he is confused that he has no remorse.  Perhaps he could be useful to psychiatrists and psychologists in learning how the mind works in a person who can commit such heinous crimes.  Was he disassociating?  Did he have OCD?  Punishment is necessary so that he never hurts anyone again, but equally important is trying to  get clues that can be used to prevent another person from acting on their impulses. Maybe he can help.

krustyrl said:
....he should have to deal with "internal" (prison) justice IMHO , none of this segregation BS.! .

There are some stats floating around that said Bernardo wouldn't last an hour in gen pop. Same could probably be said for Williams. Not so much prison justice, but you get cool points for being the guy that shanked a famous person.

PuckChaser said:
There are some stats floating around that said Bernardo wouldn't last an hour in gen pop. Same could probably be said for Williams. Not so much prison justice, but you get cool points for being the guy that shanked a famous person.

Serial killers murdered in prison

Could the killer colonel be destined for Kingston Pen?

Bernardo faced death threats from other convicts as soon as he arrived at Kingston Pen in November 1995.
He was assaulted twice in his first year at the prison. He was sucker punched by an inmate while returning to his segregation unit cell and on another occasion he was drenched by mop water thrown through the bars of his cell.
After that incident, a Plexiglas front was installed to shield him. Most inmates in the segregation unit spend 23 hours a day locked in their cells. They have no contact with the other 400 inmates in the prison.

dileas

tess

Bernardo.....was drenched by mop water thrown through the bars of his cell.
:crybaby:

I guess the general population aren't as hard-core as we'd like to believe.

Mods.
This thread has jumped the shark.  Can we please lock it?  There is no merit in continuing this discussion.

Technoviking said:
Mods.
This thread has jumped the shark.  Can we please lock it?  There is no merit in continuing this discussion.

Really?  So you have unilaterally decided that people can't voice their disgust and revulsion about Deviant Williams? IMO let people purge.  That is the only way that we as an organization can get past this sort of thing. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Really?  So you have unilaterally decided that people can't voice their disgust and revulsion about Deviant Williams? IMO let people purge.  That is the only way that we as an organization can get past this sort of thing.

I'm with Zipperhead on this one...... The news about Williams gets more and more horrifying each day, as if he finds a new way to turn into an even greater monster with each detail revealed....

Where exactly are we supposed to discuss our thoughts and feelings on this creature..... I call him that, because it's hard to fathom that he is Human.... a normal human doesnt do things like this.....

I am just sick of hearing of him, that is all.  I get it: he's a monster.  I just feel that he is still winning, in that we have 29 + pages on this sick bastard, when instead couldn't we just let it go?  They have him, he's off to jail, and in this thread I see some comments advocating "jailhouse justice".  As I understand it, killing someone because of what they did, not because of current threat to life or limb, is still a crime in this country.  I may advocate the death penalty, but as a rational decision by the state, not by "mob rules".

And I have decided nothing, I just recommend that we stop talking about this monster.  Anyway, it's quite obvious that I am in the minority here, so instead I will avoid this thread.

Like the TECHNOVIKING I am sick of Russell Williams. I am sick of the constant repetitions of his depravity. But mainly, I suppose, I am sick at heart that someone who purported to share my values and my ethos could have done these things - especially (and I do not mean in any way at all to suggests that each of his victims didn't suffer horribly) to a subordinate member of the CF.

I'm guessing that the psychiatrists and psychologists will have their hands full with Williams because I'm also guessing that he is, in some meaningful way, insane. Surely, sane people do not attend the Royal Military College, do not become pilots, do not rise to command a squadron and then Canada's largest Air Force base and, at the same time, morph into serial sex offenders; right?

Don't bother closing the thread. Let people vent - that's what I'm doing; but I will be so glad when we turn our attention to more pleasant, even sensible and comprehensible matters like terrorism, global mayhem and the next war.

E.R. Campbell said:
Like the TECHNOVIKING I am sick of Russell Williams. I am sick of the constant repetitions of his depravity. But mainly, I suppose, I am sick at heart that someone who purported to share my values and my ethos could have done these things - especially (and I do not mean in any way at all to suggests that each of his victims didn't suffer horribly) to a subordinate member of the CF.
Here here.

E.R. Campbell said:
.... I will be so glad when we turn our attention to more pleasant, even sensible and comprehensible matters like terrorism, global mayhem and the next war.
I truly don't miss cable TV access at a time like this.

PuckChaser said:

There is a hierarchy in the prison system. Cop killers are near the top, child molesters aka "kiddy diddlers" are near the bottom. Williams will be most likely near the bottom due to his posing in teenage
girls underwear etc and his "celebrity" status.
In my former employment as a Corrections Officer, I had the chance to meet an inmate who punched Bernardo. He was regaled in the con system as a bit of a hero. Not only that, several people sent him cardsand money.
Williams is destined for segregation.

As for closing this thread. In my opinion it would be unwise at this point in time.  Having been posted to 8Wg during that time period and now much further away, I read how others are putting their thoughts and opinions to screen (or paper) .  Knowing there are plenty others who are just as pi$$ed-shocked-irritated (the list goes on...) as I am and feel somewhat let down by RW's actions yet the whole thing still burns in peoples mind.
I'm sure this thread will peter off as time passes but until then maybe we should use this as a sounding board and let some vent. I'm sure the mods are hovering to see that nothing out of context gets posted on here due to the extreme frustration of some, myself included.

Thanks      :2c:

As an aside- Williams behavior was text book dirt bag duiring the interview. I recall an MLA I was investigating for sexual assault as demonstrating the same- the requests for discretion and the statements that he would cooperate in whatever way he could to clear himself.

Then when confronted with evidence of his involvement the long pause and then the honest cooperation once the goose is cooked. But only once he figures out that he is fried either way.

It was about as ernest as the disgusting letters he wrote the family members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back