• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce Monkhouse said:
As of October 18, 2009, 1,023 offenders were deemed eligible to apply for a judicial review. Of those eligible, there were 174 court decisions of which 144 became eligible for earlier parole. Of these, 85 were granted parole.

Tess, this is more Parole Board crap as I read it...........over 800 didn't even bother to apply as they would rather wait a bit longer  for mandatory release and have either no strings attached or at worst, very few. [or just like the nice easy life in jail]

So now we have 85 out of 174 released........unless I too am mistaken.

They have to apply to apply. I *think* the 1023 "deemed eligible" must have passed the first application (to the Chief Justice of the province), and then failed at the parole board. They were deemed eligible (by the Chief Justice) to go face the parole board, or that is how I am reading it anyway.

"The prisoner must apply to the Chief Justice of the province where they were convicted, and the Chief Justice (or another designated judge) then reviews the application to determine whether there is a reasonable chance the prisoner could be successful in his or her application before a jury; if the applicant is likely to succeed, the court will empanel a jury to hear the application." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faint_hope_clause

How many actually put in the first application to the Chief Justice of the Province would an answer to another question we'd have to ask before we could get the real percentages, but it would make it small.er

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Either way the real shitty part of the 'faint hope' clause is it makes victims families start attending these hearings years sooner to start listening to a total jerk off spout on about how he/she deserves another chance.

No kidding. After reading about the clause I've become to think it's pretty stupid. I mean, max sentence of life, parole after 25 years, is basically a 25 year sentence as it is. If the faint-hope clause works for them, you've cut a murderer's sentence by 40%, which is ridiculous.... and if a murderer deserves that 40% reduction... who doesn't? Very few.

The latest news from The Toronto Star

Accused colonel kept tabs on police probe

OTTAWA—Word of Cpl. Marie France Comeau’s murder arrived in her alleged killer’s inbox at 12:13 a.m. on Nov. 26, 2009. The message was marked “significant occurrence” and kicked off a stream of messages that would keep Col. Russ Williams, her commander at Canadian Forces Base Trenton, abreast of the unfolding police probe, one that would lead months later to his stunning arrest...

The most chilling of the documents released is perhaps Williams’ letter of condolence to the Comeau family, offering help during this “very difficult time.’’... Williams drafted a note of condolence on his official letterhead to the Comeau family. “Please let me know whether there is anything I can do to help you during this very difficult time. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers,” he wrote, signing the letter with his swirling signature. Despite his offer of support, Williams did not attend Comeau’s funeral at the National Military Cemetery in Ottawa on Dec. 4, 2009, though he did offer his good wishes to the deputy commander of Comeau’s squadron later that day. Comeau had served as a VIP flight attendant for 437 Transport Squadron. “I’m pleased to hear that the service went as well as could be expected, given the very sad circumstances,” he wrote.

More here: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/805300--accused-colonel-kept-tabs-on-police-probe?bn=1

from CBC.ca

Woman sues Col. Williams
Last Updated: Monday, May 10, 2010 | 4:33 PM ET .

An eastern Ontario woman is suing Col. Russell Williams, the former base commander now charged with killing two women, for an alleged sexual attack.

The 21-year-old plaintiff, identified only as Jane Doe, claims she has been suicidal and dealing with drug and alcohol dependencies since being attacked in her home on Sept. 17, 2009.

She says in the suit she was terrified Williams would kill her or her infant daughter when Williams allegedly broke into her home in the Tweed, Ont., area and tied her up, blindfolded her, forced into sexual acts and photographed her over two hours.

The $2.45-million lawsuit also alleges Williams' wife was involved in the fraudulent transfer of Ottawa real estate in a effort to defeat Jane Doe's claim against Williams.

The suit alleges the real estate transaction took place on March 26 — some six weeks after Williams, former commander of CFB Trenton, was criminally charged in two sex assaults and the killings of two other women.

The allegations have not been proven in court and it is not clear if a statement of defence has been filed.
Williams also faces an additional 82 break-and-enter charges.

Numerous sources are reporting on the first public pronouncements by Col Williams' wife:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/court-documents-provide-first-glimpse-of-col-williams-wifes-devastation/article1596789/

An affidavit filed in a lawsuit in court in Belleville, Ont., provides the first glimpse of how the charges that have rocked the Canadian military have traumatized the colonel's own wife.

“The revelation of these charges has been devastating to me,” Ms. Harriman says.

“As a result of the charges, my previously anticipated future and financial security had (sic) become jeopardized.”

One of Col. Williams' alleged sex assault victims, identified only as Jane Doe, has launched a $2.45-million lawsuit against Col. Williams and Ms. Harriman. The 21-year-old woman claims the “horrific and reprehensible” alleged sexual attack has left her fearful and suicidal.

Doe is also suing Ms. Harriman, claiming Col. Williams fraudulently transferred an Ottawa property to his wife in an effort to defeat Jane Doe's claim.

The criminal charges have not yet been tested in court nor have the civil allegations.

Col. Williams has not yet filed a statement of defence.

In the suit, the woman alleges Col. Williams secretly transferred a property in Ottawa, the city in which he shared a home with his wife, in “unusual haste” and under “suspicious circumstances” on March 26.

The woman believes that Col. Williams and Ms. Harriman “will remove assets from the jurisdiction or otherwise dispose of or dissipate them in an effort to defeat the plaintiff in any attempt to recover upon the judgment, if the plaintiff is ultimately successful,” the suit reads.

In her statement of defence Ms. Harriman says Col. Williams did transfer his interest in their home and other assets, but it was a “domestic contract” they executed and there was “nothing untoward or suspicious about the transfer.”

“At all times my intent in executing the conveyance was to provide for my financial security as against my husband,” Ms. Harriman writes.

Because personal financial details are expected to arise in the course of the lawsuit, Ms. Harriman's lawyer Mary Jane Binks, has signalled that she will be seeking a sealing order on details that haven't yet come up in court.

“My reputation in the community is exemplary,” says Ms. Harriman, an associate executive director of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.

“The publication of further particular details of my professional life, personal financial situation and legal affairs could have a significant negative impact upon me personally and professionally.”

...and the wheels of the system grind slowly onward.

Today's decision is the 6th time the court date has been shifted to a later date. Highlite text is mine.

from CTV.ca

Pre-trial date set for colonel accused of two murders
The Canadian Press
Date: Thursday Jul. 22, 2010 12:24 PM ET

BELLEVILLE, Ont. — There appeared to be some movement Thursday in the case of a former Canadian Forces commander facing murder and sexual assault charges.

After months of brief video appearances by Col. Russell Williams, during which a date for another brief video appearance would be made, a date for a pre-trial hearing was set Thursday.

Williams appeared via videolink Thursday from a detention centre and stated his full name -- David Russell Williams -- for the record. He was ordered to appear again via video on Aug. 26 at 1:15 p.m. for a pre-trial hearing.

Crown attorney Lee Burgess would not elaborate outside court on what that hearing will entail, but in general such hearings are held so that a judge can weigh the evidence against the accused and decide whether a trial is warranted.

Williams is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two women, sex assaults against other women, and 82 other charges related to break and enter. The list of his charges took up about one-third of the entire courtroom docket.

Williams was a rising star in the military before being charged with murder in the deaths of Jessica Lloyd, 27, and Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 37. Lloyd's brother attended the hearing Thursday and said he intends to be back for future dates.

"I think it's something I personally, for myself, have to do," Andy Lloyd, 30, said outside court.

Jessica Lloyd's body was found in Tweed, Ont., on Feb. 8, two weeks after she failed to show up at her job in nearby Napanee.

When asked if he will get closure by seeing the court case through her brother replied, "What's closure, really?"

"Hopefully everything works out for the best as far as the justice system, but I don't know really if that's going to be closure or not," he said.

Comeau was found dead in her home in Brighton, Ont., last November. She was a flight attendant at CFB Trenton and served aboard the same military VIP flights Williams piloted for much of the 1990s, ferrying the Governor General, the prime minister and other dignitaries on domestic and overseas trips.

In addition, Williams and his wife, Mary-Elizabeth Harriman, are facing a $2.45-million lawsuit filed by one of Williams' alleged sex assault victims, identified only as Jane Doe. The 21-year-old woman claims the "horrific and reprehensible" alleged sexual attack has left her fearful and suicidal.

Harriman, who has not spoken publicly since the charges were laid against her husband, says in an affidavit filed with her statement of defence that she is devastated.

The criminal charges have not yet been tested in court nor have the civil allegations.

Williams has not yet filed a statement of defence.

kratz said:
...and the wheels of the system grind slowly onward.

Today's decision is the 6th time the court date has been shifted to a later date. Highlite text is mine.

from CTV.ca

Welcome to the long, cold world of pre-trial detention. The Crown is obligated to put him (and everyone else being held before trial) in front of a judge on a regular basis to publicly review and reconfirm his detention. These remands will go on for many more months unless he pleads out and professionally, I will be very, very surprised if the Crown is ready to go to pretrial in August. That's the blink of an eye in Ontario's court system and I've seen many more minor charges take far longer to get to that point.

Pick your media coverage today:
- CBC.ca,
- CTV.ca,
- Ottawa Citizen, and
- The Star

He appeared in court for the ninth time this afternoon via CCTV. He has waived a preliminary hearing and his trial is set to begin 7 Oct.

The comments section for CBC is actually open on today's news report.

*edit* Within 30 mintues one inappropriate comment was posted and the comments section has now been closed.

On the CBC's "Fifth Estate" tonight (24 September):

Above Suspicion
The shocking case of Colonel Russell Williams. This unbelievable story has captured the country's attention, leaving people to wonder: What really happened? Who is the man behind the headlines?

Meanwhile, in the civil litigation arena, via Canadian Press.....
A Canadian Forces colonel whose murder and sex assault charges shook the military to its core plans to defend against a civil suit filed against him and his wife.  A lawyer for Col. Russell Williams — former commander of CFB Trenton — has filed a notice of intent to defend in the civil case.  Williams is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two women, sex assaults against others, and 82 other charges related to break and enter.  One of Williams' alleged sex assault victims, identified only as Jane Doe, has launched a $2.45-million lawsuit against Williams and his wife, Mary-Elizabeth Harriman.  In the suit, Doe claims Williams fraudulently transferred an Ottawa property to his wife in an effort to defeat her claim.  She also claims the "horrific and reprehensible'' alleged sexual attack has left her fearful and suicidal .... The criminal charges have not yet been tested in court, nor have the allegations in the civil suit ....

You have to file an intent to defend, otherwise the lawsuit sails through and the person gets everything they ask for.  I would be blown away if it actually ever sees a trial though.  This stuff is certainly something to settle out of court. 

Note to AP headline writer - this guy is NOT Canada's "top commander", he's a senior officer  ::)
Canada top commander to appear in court

By ROB GILLIES (AP) – 3 hours ago

TORONTO — A military commander charged with several counts of murder and sexual assault in a case that shocked Canadians was to appear in court in person for the first time Thursday.

Col. Russell Williams — an elite pilot who once flew Queen Elizabeth II and other dignitaries around the country — was the commander of Canada's largest Air Force base until he was charged earlier this year with the murder of two women, the sexual assault of two others and 82 break-ins, during which he stole women's panties. He has previously taken part in court hearings by video link from a detention center ....
More here or in attached if link doesn't work.

In fact he is a former Base Commander since he has been officially replaced without a chance to march off the parade square one last time (so far anyways).

Myself, being formerly a mamber of 8Wing during the time of the criminal activity, I am watching intently.  It just curls my toenails that he is still listed as Colonel.... embarrased thru association.  This is just my opinion.     

This, according to the Canadian Press:
The lawyer for former top military officer Col. Russell Williams says his client intends to plead guilty to charges of first-degree murder, sexual assault, and break and enter.

His lawyer is telling a Belleville, Ont., courtroom today that Williams will plead guilty at his next court appearance on Oct. 18 ....
We'll see...

It stuns me that nowhere in any of the news I've read about the guilty plea is there any talk about him being saddled with a Dangerous Offender status.  If this clown is ever allowed out into society again, he will surely rape and kill again. 

zipperhead_cop said:
It stuns me that nowhere in any of the news I've read about the guilty plea is there any talk about him being saddled with a Dangerous Offender status.  If this clown is ever allowed out into society again, he will surely rape and kill again.
I'm guessing this'll come up during the sentencing coverage/discussion/debate.

zipperhead_cop said:

I forget which news source I was watching, but I seem to recall them saying that the reason the plea wasn't entered yesterday was that negotiation was ongoing as to the details of his incarceration, given he'll "be spending the rest of his life in jail", as the commentator put it.  Is it possible that they're negotiating the location where he'll be imprisoned, perhaps knowing that DO status is a given?  Is there a difference between prisons?

I wonder if this case, among others, is what is prompting the government to bring in legislation to extend the life sentence to 35 years for people convicted of multiple violent offenses....

I think it's great our taxes will go towards paying him to sit in prison for a life sentence.

Here's something I found in the Winnipeg Free Press. It seems Col (ret'd) Drapeau thinks we should all take criminal profiling classes:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/horrendous-week-puts-forces-hiring-under-scrutiny-104555844.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back