• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heff18 said:
Word I received from CFRC London was that enrollment is July 18th and that I will be contacted in April/May with more specifics.

As of that moment of time, I will not be attending basic this summer (was originally told I would be), and that I will probably be doing some sort of mini-basic a few weeks before the school year starts for preperation for RMC.

That is FYOP (First Year Orientation Period) I am assuming. For you RMC people :p

FYOP does not begin until September. That mini- basic is known as Recruit Camp and for my year it was 2.5 weeks before September. The rumour mill is saying that both RMC First Years and Civi U First Years will have to partake in Recruit Camp, however take that with a grain of salt.

Interesting. I am intrigued to know what we'd do for 2.5 weeks... Sounds like "Recruit Camp" is a fancy way to say "stand in line and get your kit" or maybe "get you ass up, it's time for a fitness test".

I'm guessing details are few are far between at the moment. However I'm sure once the CFRCs know, we'll know as well.

Lumber said:
When I was first given acceptance to ROTP, they "told" me I was approved to go to McMaster for Engineering. I immediately told my recruiter that I hadn't even applied to McMaster, and that I hadn't even applied to Engineering at ANY of the school that I did apply to. His answer was simply, "that's fine, University of Ottawa for Economics will be alright."

In my case, I simply told them that I had already accepted an offer and paid my admissions deposit, and was going there either way.  They didn't have a problem.

I wonder if there's ever been a case where someone fought for a different school than the one they were told to go to, and were refused. 

boot12 said:
In my case, I simply told them that I had already accepted an offer and paid my admissions deposit, and was going there either way.  They didn't have a problem.

I wonder if there's ever been a case where someone fought for a different school than the one they were told to go to, and were refused.

Unless it is not recognized I do not see why there would ever be a problem. As long as you are accepted to the Uni of your choice.

haha its good to know whats going on to a degree i guess. 
Itll be a month of them kicking our asses,  :-\ and taking names. 

Is there anyone in London that has gotten accepted to ROTP for next year

Rgallant13 said:
I was also told basic is 2nd year and enrollment ceremony is around end of July to start of August.

This is also the information I received although it came with the usual caveat that these things are subject to change.

The two and a half weeks in August are split up into approx. a week of administration and a week and a half of basic skills training
e.g. marching, saluting, basic military behaviour etc..

Does anyone know when ROTP Salary starts? Is it in July? or when you start at your university or at RMC?

I was told I could keep my full time job until the last minute (day before) I actually start full time at the university. From that, one could deduce that the salary will start on your first day of classes, but I could be mistaken. Two salaries at once wouldn't be too bad... even if the CF one is lower. Extra money is better than no extra money!

Yes, unless you start basic before classes then the first day of classes will be when your pay starts. (or so I`m told)

derael said:
Yes, unless you start basic before classes then the first day of classes will be when your pay starts. (or so I`m told)

That is what I thought also. Just making sure for I can set up a summer job without hassle.

Marshall said:
Does anyone know when ROTP Salary starts? Is it in July? or when you start at your university or at RMC?

When you are enrolled you will be given a leave pass with so many days of Leave Without Pay (LWOP) and once that LWOP period is complete, usually the first day of classes or the first day of training, if required, you will start to get paid for your service.  Don't spend it all at once.

And don't expect the pay to just start automatically either.  There is a long winded clear-in procedure you have to do with your ULO and the Payroll/records clerks before your pay will start.

I've heard stories from my ULO that past students never caught on to this, and didn't start getting paid till January lol.

Also, the PLD will not start the same time as your first pay check. For me it didn't kick in until the third pay check i believe. It took a month approximately. So its a good idea to have lots of spare cash saved up, or a credit card to pay for rent etc while your waiting for your first few paychecks.

And the PLD is cut in half by tax. So 850$ in victoria for PLD is really 400$

But it definitely helps a lot. After all the tax is out, we students get a respectable amount to rent a nice place if you so desire.

Corey Darling said:
And don't expect the pay to just start automatically either.  There is a long winded clear-in procedure you have to do with your ULO and the Payroll/records clerks before your pay will start.

I've heard stories from my ULO that past students never caught on to this, and didn't start getting paid till January lol.

Also, the PLD will not start the same time as your first pay check. For me it didn't kick in until the third pay check i believe. It took a month approximately. So its a good idea to have lots of spare cash saved up, or a credit card to pay for rent etc while your waiting for your first few paychecks.

And the PLD is cut in half by tax. So 850$ in victoria for PLD is really 400$

But it definitely helps a lot. After all the tax is out, we students get a respectable amount to get a rent a nice place if you so desire.

I heard of this. A friend at RMC did not get her pay correctly started for a couple of cheques. Thank you for the information. As for this process for payroll, are you contacted about it?

As for this process for payroll, are you contacted about it?

I wasn't, no.  If I recall, when you sign your contracts, you are given dates by which time you should contact your assigned ULO.

If you don't contact them, then the Clear-in procedure will not start, and you certainly won't get paid.

Your ULO likely wont call you until way past the suggested date to see if you fell off the earth.

So, you have to make the initiative and call to make appointments with the ULO, who will help you get ready with the Clear-in procedure at the base to get set up with payroll and records.

With payroll/records, you will deal with setting up your Direct Deposit, your Will, who you want your death benefits to go to, your PLD, etc. 

This can take a couple days.

So, you want this taken care of at least 1-2 weeks before September starts or you will likely end up missing Pay periods while the documents get processed.

The sooner you call your ULO to set an appointment, the sooner you get paid when September comes along.

If it's left until a few days before Sept, the first pay period will likely be missed.

Hope this helps

Corey

EDIT: I just remembered while typing this why, in my case, the PLD didn't kick in with my first paychecks. It was because the date of Move-in on my Rental Agreement wasn't for another few weeks (october 1st). And the PLD wont officially start until the date on the agreement.

Unfortunatly, the 1st of october (when rent was due and I moved in) was AFTER the previous paycheck on Sept 30th just a day or two before. So I had to wait until the next check on the 15th to get my first PLD amount tacked onto my pay.

So out came the credit card  :p

Just incase your wondering:  Pay periods are every 2 weeks, on the 15th, and 30th of the month.

If those days fall on a weekend or holiday, then the pay will come early.

Sorry for all the Edits: Running on 2 hours of sleep.  Homework  :threat:

Hello all! Congrats on those who got into ROTP...I hope to join you.

I am currently transfering from Scotian (naval reserve unit) to the reg force and finish my last 2 years of UNI under ROTP. They screwed up my file for the first board, and rushed, i mean RUSHED my file to get in, and it got away to RMC 1 day before it was due for the second board.

I just have a couple of questions though for anyone who knows. When is the second board in march, I cannot remember the specific date. Also, did anyone get into ROTP through transfering from a reserve unit...I'm just scared that I wont get in, and I hope that this makes me more competitive.

My recruiter said "I cant tell you you're going to get a job, but I have seen several other MARS applicants less qualified than you get through, so I would feel very confident." I felt really good about what he said, but I am scared that this is something a lot of recruiters say, and that people who are told this dont even get accepted...

hahaha sorry about unloading everything, I'm just nervous, I really want this

Corey Darling said:
I wasn't, no.  If I recall, when you sign your contracts, you are given dates by which time you should contact your assigned ULO.

If you don't contact them, then the Clear-in procedure will not start, and you certainly won't get paid.

Your ULO likely wont call you until way past the suggested date to see if you fell off the earth.

So, you have to make the initiative and call to make appointments with the ULO, who will help you get ready with the Clear-in procedure at the base to get set up with payroll and records.

With payroll/records, you will deal with setting up your Direct Deposit, your Will, who you want your death benefits to go to, your PLD, etc. 

This can take a couple days.

So, you want this taken care of at least 1-2 weeks before September starts or you will likely end up missing Pay periods while the documents get processed.

The sooner you call your ULO to set an appointment, the sooner you get paid when September comes along.

If it's left until a few days before Sept, the first pay period will likely be missed.

Hope this helps

Corey

EDIT: I just remembered while typing this why, in my case, the PLD didn't kick in with my first paychecks. It was because the date of Move-in on my Rental Agreement wasn't for another few weeks (october 1st). And the PLD wont officially start until the date on the agreement.

Unfortunatly, the 1st of october (when rent was due and I moved in) was AFTER the previous paycheck on Sept 30th just a day or two before. So I had to wait until the next check on the 15th to get my first PLD amount tacked onto my pay.

So out came the credit card  :p

Just incase your wondering:  Pay periods are every 2 weeks, on the 15th, and 30th of the month.

If those days fall on a weekend or holiday, then the pay will come early.

Sorry for all the Edits: Running on 2 hours of sleep.  Homework  :threat:

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely get in contact ASAP after I sign the dotted line.

boot12 said:
Interesting that they told you which Civilian University you were allowed to go to.  I wasn't aware that they made a distinction beyond RMC/Civvy U.

The university itself is your posted unit.  It's part of your ETP message.  Thus, the CF needs to know where you'll be for admin purposes (support base) not to mention reimbursment of tuition. 

Marshall said:
Also, does anyone know If I have to wait for the CF to contact me to deposit my fee and choose courses for my CivvieU? Or can I do that myself right away?

Since you're accepted (congrats!) you just go ahead and register like any other civvy student.  When you do up your claim in the fall, you'll be reimbursed then.  If you need, you can get an advance on your claim in the fall in order to pay the full tuition, otherwise the paperwork's a little easier (less to go wrong) if you can go out of pocket.  (does that make sense? I'll rephrase if needed)

You got the acceptance phone call, so they'll trust you to take the steps necessary to attend class in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back