• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
I recently got my letter of acceptance into the ROTP program for communications (Signals Officer)! I am currently a second year computer science student at a civilian university. I had a couple question that I hoped you guys could answer.

1) What was the process after receiving your letter of acceptance? The letter doesn't say much other than 'you'll receive more information at a later date.'
2) This question is for folks who have done the ROTP program at a civilian university: was there a lot of communication between the Armed Forces and you? Did they check up on you or were you left to work on your own?
3) For any Signals Officers: how do you currently like you position? Is there room for promotions? How is the work load? What exactly do you do on a day to day basis either at home or on base? Is the position more hardware or software orientated?
4) Is there any disadvantage of going to a civilian university opposed to The Royal Military College of Canada (RMC)?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Army.ca.

You registered and immediately launched your question. Clearly, you did not take the time to read through existing threads or check out the Nifty Search Function.

Please do so. If you genuinely cannot find answers to your questions after a thorough and honest search, feel free to ask.

hi!
  I got my offer for Health care administration!
My enrolement is in Montéal on the 10th.
Starting BMOQ on June 27th

From what I understand, The french BMOQ is on June 27Th and the english one in July?
Hope to see you all there!

fany said:
hi!
From what I understand, The french BMOQ is on June 27Th and the english one in July?
Hope to see you all there!

Congrats !

Those attending CMR St Jean will start BMOQ June 27Th with CMR St Jean to follow on Aug 14Th.
Students attending RMCC Kingston will have their BMOQ July 13Th and RMCC Kingston to follow on Aug 29Th.
There should be French and English cadets at both.

http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/fe-fs/ir-ji/ire-jic-eng.asp

http://www.rmc.ca/en/training-wing/officer-cadet-recruit-joining-instructions-2015-welcome-letter

Received my offer as a CT a little over a week ago. I will be attending BMOQ Mod 2 starting June 22nd then off to RMCC.

I have a general question.  My son has been accepted into the ROTP Programme at St Jean, after applying to RMC Kingston (chem engineering).  He is ( will be) an Ontario gr 12 grad. 

I have done some reading but do not know 1) why he has to go to St Jean vs Kingston and 2) how many years he will be at St Jean for.  I see that there are 2 options.  One for Quebec CEGEP students and a single year which leads to RMC at Kingston. 

Also,  he has to go very soon.  At the end of June for BMOQ.  Why is this different than the Kingston Pam, where this happens after the first year. 

Thanks. 

JEDi624 said:
I have done some reading but do not know 1) why he has to go to St Jean vs Kingston and 2) how many years he will be at St Jean for.  I see that there are 2 options.  One for Quebec CEGEP students and a single year which leads to RMC at Kingston. 

Also,  he has to go very soon.  At the end of June for BMOQ.  Why is this different than the Kingston Pam, where this happens after the first year.

Is seems that there is a good number of non Quebec grade 12 grads that will be going to St Jean for their 1st year of university and the following 3 years at Kingston to complete their Degree as in previous years. It is likely this is clearly stated in his contract. I'm in the same situation.
I have read in other CMR St Jean posts that the split between St Jean CMR and Kingston for 1st year students is about space.
First year RMC Kingston students will complete their BMOQ before the school year starts also.
See my post just previous to this one for the link to both schools joining instructions.

JEDi624 said:
I have a general question.  My son has been accepted into the ROTP Programme at St Jean, after applying to RMC Kingston (chem engineering).  He is ( will be) an Ontario gr 12 grad. 

Thanks.

We were in the same situation like you a year ago when my son had to go CMRSJ for the first year and 2/3/4th year to Kingston. Now he finished first year at St Jean and in August, he will be going to Kingston after holidays. I had lot of reservation like why CMR and not Kingston, will CEGEP be disadvantageous and all that. But looking back after a year, all my reservations were turned out to be advantageous to him.  Smaller campus, tight community(just 3 squadrons), very close rapport with professors, improved French, great wifi, bigger dorm and list goes on. Not saying Kingston don't have it. Pretty sure RMC has equally best facilities like CMR. Under CEGEP, the pass mark is 60 whereas at RMC it is 50. But with the personal attention that you get from Professors, the chances of failing is next to nothing. Allocation to CMR is just random and you should accept it in a trice. I tell you. You wont regret it. You would just like me say after a year that this is the best thing ever happened to your kid

Hello all,

I have been doing some research regarding what my summers will look like if I accept my ROTP offer and I've come across a lot of ambiguity about this topic. When asked what summer training will be like for Civvy ROTP students, there have been a lot of answers starting with "I think" or "I believe." So the question in my mind was how will the training be organized for Civvy students in the ROTP program. I am under the impression that I HAVE to attend the Summer training in St Jeans in my first year but is that something I have to do every year? Also, is there any training or programs that I would have to attend during other holidays such as March Break? If I wanted to get a job during the summer, is that a possibility?

Thank you in advance!

You will conduct your year of study and will then be sent to complete your basic training courses over the summer.

From Forces.ca directly, under the heading Career Options:

If you join under the Paid University entry plan or you are attending the Royal Military College of Canada, you will complete the Basic Military Officer Qualification course during the summer between first and second year. In the following summers you will do career training courses and on-the-job training with the Forces.

Pretty straight forward and without ambiguity. You will be paid by the CAF during your study and during your training courses.

Yes of course :facepalm:.  I have just finished my first year of university and going into my second year so I am assuming I would just have one less summer for on-the-job training? Also, where would on-the-job training be? As a (hopefully) future Signals Officer, would I have to live in another city for the summer to get special on-the-job training or would it be some place close to where I currently live?

I dunno.....Have you tried asking other Sig O's on ROTP, in their second or third year, what their experiences have been? 

TedFromIT said:
Yes of course :facepalm:.  I have just finished my first year of university and going into my second year so I am assuming I would just have one less summer for on-the-job training? Also, where would on-the-job training be? As a (hopefully) future Signals Officer, would I have to live in another city for the summer to get special on-the-job training or would it be some place close to where I currently live?

Is this your second year on ROTP, or are you starting ROTP in your second year?

Your training will still be hosted over the summers while you are in school and the CF will send you to wherever the training is being hosted. Once you've graduated, you will be posted to a base to learn your occupational training. Very likely you will start out in Kingston and then once your are occupationally qualified as a Junior SigO, you will be posted to a Regiment which could be anywhere in the country.

As a Sig O Civy-U student the plan for your summers should go as follows:
1st Summer - Basic Officer Training Course
2nd Summer - Common Army Phase
3rd Summer - DP 1 or Language Training
4th Summer - Language Training or DP 1
Followed by the Sig O course in Kingston.

What DP1 training are you referring to? BSOC is only run 1.5 times a year, Jan to Apr, and End May to Oct, so not an option until graduated with a degree.

Just received my offer for ROTP-Pilot at RMC starting this fall. Swearing in is the 20th and 1st module of bmoq is the 13th of July. I'm curious if anyone can give insight into what sorts of things we are aloud in our dorm room, like computer monitors, mini-fridges, etc... standard dorm room stuff. Trying to figure out what I need to sell haha.

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker first time poster. I have been following this thread for some time now and can finally add my own post to say I have received an offer today!

ROTP (civilian university) for MPO. I'll be enrolling June 16 and will be headed for BMOQ July 13.

Congratulations to those who have also received an offer and good luck to those still waiting to hear! :)

So I'm an Reservist right now who's studying in the states for one more year. I'm wondering which Canadian Universities have an ROTP program that I can get in touch with and would I fill out the application and hand it to my chain of command?
As well do any of which have a rugby program if anyone happens to know. Thanks. Good day eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back