• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2008-2009

SupersonicMax said:
You know ROTP means REGULAR Officer Training Program right?
I think he means should he join the reserves as an NCM then apply for ROTP in 09.

I could be wrong though...

Just a slight off topic:
If you do decide to apply for Officer in 09, you now have 8-9 months to make yourself a better candidate.  Learn a new language, start university courses (or continue them), take up a sport, get life experience, etc.

Hello fellow forummers.

I was wondering if anyone one could tell me if there is still a slight possibility of getting accepted into this falls ROTP program. Here's my situation... I've already applied to be in the CF as a NCM - more specifically - an AVS TECH. This past July, I had my CFAT session which I did extremely well on (coming from the interviewer). I also have had my interview and medical exam done that same day in Ottawa, which also went well. All I need to do to get the ball rolling again is hand them a medical document from my family physician and wait for the OFFER. Just my bad luck, she had to be away one vacation for a few weeks. Anyways, she just got back last week. On top of that, the doc office has recently been  relocated to another building, so things are moving real slow over there. The secretary assured me that they would try to get the form filled out for next week, which then I can fax it in to the physician group in Ottawa. So you see, I have about a few weeks before having to accept the position and go off to BMQ probably in mid September. But, I'm having second doubts about AVS TECH and wished I would have filled the ROTP application instead. I just recently applied to a civilian university in two different programs, Electrical Engineering and Mathematical Physics which both are still accepting applications for this fall.

So back to my original question, even though I applied for a NCM post and haven't been offered the job yet, can I still hand in an ROTP application and hope to get in this fall - that is if I get an offer from the university? If worse comes to worse, can I be accepted for the winter term if I'm too late for this fall?

PS - In 2006, I received my Technologist diploma from Algonquin college's Electronics Engineering Technology program.

Thanks

Ti Jay

Unfortunately the ROTP has a separate selection process which is now done for this fall. You would have to apply for the 09/10 school year now. Someone yell at me if I'm mistaken, but as far as I know, the selections have been long over for this year. Don't let that discourage you though. There is plenty you can do in the meantime.

Also, ROTP doesn't start subsidization for half a year of studies. For now you would be on your own for your first eyar, and would then have to wait until your second year for subsidization.

Ti Jay:

I think you're pretty much SOL for this year's ROTP...The selections were made several months ago and I'm reasonably sure that any last minute openings would be offered to people who have already undergone the ROTP selection process (some who have submitted applications as far back as a year ago).  If going officer is what you want to do, then you may want to start school this year (on your own dime) and then start the application process for ROTP 2009. 

As a side note, if you are interested in the ROTP program then this year will give you the chance to work on things that will help make you an ideal candidate (ie. fitness, leadership positions, academics, etc).

I was afraid of that. Well, I don't believe I can fork out enough money for this falls tuition on time. However, I can start putting money aside for the winter term instead.

As for backing down from the NCM AVS TECH offer. Would that affect me in any way in regards to the ROTP application? What I worried about is that if I decide to not go through with NCM application, I won't be allowed to apply for the ROTP program since I already applied for a NCM job. Am I correct to think that?

Thanks for your replies - I greatly appreciate it.

Ti Jay

I'm sure you're not the first person who's changed their mind about whether they want to go NCM or Officer.  I would assume that there must be a way that you can change your application from an NCM one to an ROTP one but I'm just speculating and may be way off...

Your best bet would be to contact the recruiting center and ask them...They'll be able to tell you for sure whether or not it's a possibility, and if so, then how you'd go about doing it.

I turned down 3 offers for ROTP before i got the one i wanted, hasnt affected my application thus far. Probably helped because they were sick of seeing me lol

Actually, an officer board is going to be deciding the elegible candidates on August 13, 2008. Although I am applying through the CEOTP program, I am pretty sure the officer board is still the same. And by the way, it will decide whether I go on Sept 1, or (as I have been told at the recruiting office) for October some time this year.
Hope this helps, but you have no chance in applying now, considering it took me 3 weeks straight of getting documents for the office in order for your file to be finally reviewed for the selection board (apparently the recruiter signs and stamps your file after the interview, and it gets sent to the main office wherever it may be:) ). But, I am pretty sure (but not completely sure) that another board might allow you to decide before September.
Anyways even though this is an ROTP question, May I suggest you look into CEOTP. Find more about it in search.
thanks

Corey Darling said:
I turned down 3 offers for ROTP before i got the one i wanted, hasnt affected my application thus far. Probably helped because they were sick of seeing me lol

what offers did you turn down and which one did you accept?

1st: Air engineer RMC
2nd: Air traffic control Civi
3rd: Air traffic control RMC - but offer pulled due to my wearing hard contact lenses, they wanted me to wait 6 months before retesting :(
4th: Air operations Civi

All the time wanted Pilot, but vision didnt meet standard until they changed it to 20/60 for the 4th attempt :) so i just kept trying till they changed it.

Corey

They shouldn't have made you wait for that long for hard contacts. The form for the medical just said to have them out for 3 days before the test...

Sry, should have been more specific. I think it had to do with the fact they were Ortho-k lenses (and reshape the eye). But no, shouldnt have had to wait that long. My opthamologist said 1-2 weeks should be plenty. oh well, im in now :)

It's been a while since I've heard from our current year of ROTP people. We are already half way done the semester everyone! On my end at UBC here, midterms are finished now, and term paper season has begun. It's time to hit the library and gather a rather long and arduous collection of journal articles with which to write my 3 papers this year. All I tell myself is "At least it's not a 150 page master's thesis". :D

I got saved by my archaeology prof who gave us the option to either write a paper, or use a 3D animation program to do a 3D model of an archaeological site. You can all guess what the more popular option was!

Anyways, I wish you all the best on your papers, and then on your finals! Then it's WINTER BREAK!

I'm still getting used to the Scaled grading they do here at uvic. Im not sure if its  a good thing or not.

All three of my first midterms are finished, 3 to go. Luckly the sciences don't do much in the way of papers :) just labs.

BK said:
hey guys, i got accepted also this year for ROTP  and i saw a couple mentions that some of you are P. Reservest.  My application got processed so fast because i totally skipped the security, aptitude, medical and went straight to the interview (cause of my records with the res.) it was kindah creepy to the point did the CF make a mistake with me or did the rest of you guys breeze through the application process?
That'd be really great if serving in the Reserves did help it along. I mean, I think it SHOULD because it shows you have experience and stuff. At the same time, I am worried that if you get a career in the military prior to the ROTP that they might try to get you to go for education through some other route. Surely there's someone in Reserves who applied to ROTP, what are your experiences?

Back