• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC After a University Degree

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to be a Legal Officer in the Forces. At the same time I want the RMC experience.

I was wondering if it is possible for me to get a law degree then do a BA at RMC.

If you can help, please do.

Thank you

You need to have passed the BAR exam and be "in good standing in a Provincial law society"  in order to be a legal officer in the forces. So, this means you must already be a lawyer in order to become a Legal Officer. Consequently, since RMC does not offer a law program at the graduate level [like an LLB or Juris Doctor] you will not be able to go to RMC in hopes of pursuing a graduate law degree. Yet, you can do your undergraduate degree  at RMC if you wish and then apply to the proper graduate program after that is completed.

You should consider that your total time in University will be 7 years minimum [4 for an honours bachelor of arts - although you can do a 3 year degree it is very rare to be accepted into a graduate law program without an honours degree - and then 3 for the minimum LLB]. Also, this will be school you will be paying for yourself. I assume this based on the aforementioned requirements to become a Legal Office that  require you to already be practicing law.

I suggest you do further research on the requirements to be accepted into a law program at the graduate level. I as well wanted to become a lawyer...that is before I started University and realized that it would be too much time/work for not necessarily as much compensation one would assume. Also, factor in the need to maintain an 80% minimum average in your undergraduate degree that will most likely be in the arts [because the skills you learn in these programs are most valuable to passing the LSAT/succeeding in the graduate program], and you will realize an 80% average in an arts program requires a lot of work. I mean there is a small percentage of students who can maintain those grades in University and balance other aspects of their life [work, friends, family].

Anyways, those are just my thoughts and opinions. I do not mean to discourage you, however it seems like you have not done much research into this occupation, which I can tell from your inaccurate portrayal of the requirements to receive a law degree/become a Legal Officer in the Canadian Forces. :2c:

dangles said:
You need to have passed the BAR exam and be "in good standing in a Provincial law society"  in order to be a legal officer in the forces. So, this means you must already be a lawyer in order to become a Legal Officer. Consequently, since RMC does not offer a law program at the graduate level [like an LLB or Juris Doctor] you will not be able to go to RMC in hopes of pursuing a graduate law degree. Yet, you can do your undergraduate degree  at RMC if you wish and then apply to the proper graduate program after that is completed.

Did you miss this part?

456952 said:
I was wondering if it is possible for me to get a law degree then do a BA at RMC.

Regardless, I do not believe that you can be admitted to RMC for a Bachelor's Degree if you already have one.

It actually is possible to have the military pay for your legal education.  However, you can only apply for it from within the forces and you have to already have an undergraduate degree.  I'm a school with someone right now who's doing that, and I have to say that as an impoverished student I'm pretty jealous of the crazy money he's making as a Lt (N), off post living differential and having all his school expenses paid. 

The only thing I want is the RMC experience. I could go into the Forces through Direct Entry but I would miss RMC.

If I go to RMC can I ask them to let me join the forces 4-5 years later after I have a law degree. I would pay for Law school myself.

Any opinions on that

No @Stacked

I'm sorry for not making myself clear

I want to do be a Legal Officer in the Canadian Forces but I also want to spend time at RMC. I want to gain the RMC experience as well.

I was just asking if I could do a BA at RMC go and do a law degree while promising to come back to work in the Forces.

I hope that is clearer

If you want to go to RMC under the Regular Officer Training Program (ROTP) where there is no tuition and you receive a salary, then no, you probably don't want this.  Upon completion of a baccalaureate under ROTP (at RMC or otherwise), you will have to serve 3-5 years of obligatory service in your military occupation (which won't be legal officer).  At that point (now eight years down the road), you could leave the CF and go to law school and re-join later (many have done this), or you could apply for the Legal Officer Training Plan (LOTP). 

If you want to go to law school immediately after finishing RMC, then you probably want to think about the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP), where you still go to RMC, but you have to pay tuition and other expenses and you don't receive a salary (except when on summer training).  If you graduate from RMC under RETP, there is no obligatory service incurred (although you are encouraged to join the Primary Reserve).  I know of at least one current legal officer who went this route.  As an aside, I have been led to believe that the salary you will earn during the summers pretty much covers the tuition and other costs you will incur during the school year, but my information is dated.

Finally, if you already have a bachelor's degree, are you sure that four years at RMC is worth the experience?

Pusser said:
Finally, if you already have a bachelor's degree, are you sure that four years at RMC is worth the experience?

Probably the important question!  I'm sure the novelty would wear off sooner than later....

456952 said:
At the same time I want the RMC experience.

If you've already got a degree, I'd caution you against wanting the "RMC experience."

Michael O'Leary said:
Regardless, I do not believe that you can be admitted to RMC for a Bachelor's Degree if you already have one.

Do you happen to know if this applies to DCS degrees as well or EDIT: only to those under ROTP or RETP?

JMesh said:
Do you happen to know if this applies to DCS degrees as well or EDIT: only to those under ROTP or RETP?

To the best of my knowledge, the CF will not pay you to attend RMC (or any other university) to get a Bachelor's Degree as a commissioning requirement is you already have one.

Michael O'Leary said:
To the best of my knowledge, the CF will not pay you to attend RMC (or any other university) to get a Bachelor's Degree as a commissioning requirement is you already have one.

Unless your degree is not accepted for your occupation right?

ballz said:
Unless your degree is not accepted for your occupation right?

Correct. If you have an engineering degree but want to be a Nurse, the CF would pay for that. Although I would hope the recruiter would try to steer you towards one of the engineering trades.

As this would never be the case for someone who has a Law degree and wants to be a Legal Officer, this particular scenario is impossible.

From your profile I am taking that you are an army cadet. Is this correct?

If you are still in high school and you want the RMC experience and to become a legal officer (too many JAG reruns?) then perhaps apply for RMC, serve in an honest occupation upon graduation for a few years and then apply for legal? I have colleagues that essentially did that (some were DEO, but macht nicht).

If I'm already in my 2nd-3rd year of my post secondary education.
Am I still eligible to apply in ROTP?
I understand that only maximum of 1 year could be subsidize,
but I'm willing to make this cost in order to get my most desirable position in CF.

Thank you

Pretty sure that's called CEOTP, not ROTP since you're mostly complete with your degree.

As far as I know you can apply for ROTP at any time while in university.  The later you do it, however, will reduce the amount of subsidization you will receive.  It is possible, though to  receive retroactive subsidization.  I went through basic training with a few guys who were reimbursed for the year in which they applied as opposed to just the ones they had yet to complete (i.e. they got money back for the year they started before they were enrolled).  It's worth a shot.

CEOTP is a program for where officers get their degrees in their own/spare time (i.e they are expected to train/work in their military occupations most of the time).  ROTP is for officers who complete their degrees at full time students.

If you are what the CFRG considers to be an "Undergraduate Applicant", you must require between 3 and 1.5 of subsidized education in order to get a degree that would qualify you for your target trade, unless you're a BMOQ by-pass. If this is the case, you must attend a civvie university.

For those who are on the DIN and curious, I got this off the CFRG website here, under annex C of the ROTP instructions.

Back