• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC After a University Degree

runormal said:
If all you want is some "Experience" i'm sure you can get it, just depends how long you want. When I toured RMC, i was sitting in a psychology stat class, the guy who was giving me the tour pointed out that this older guy, was a major and went back to RMC to do some classes , I forget the reason, but it is possible.

Obviously once you are in the CF if you can some how argue/persuade why you need to go back to school, you can do it but it will mean you have to add more years to your contract.

You can also call the CFRC. :p

Sitting in a class/taking a class is not the same thing as getting a Degree.  Anyone can take a class.  The question here is taking all the credits/classes necessary to acquire another Degree.

There are certainly officers who attend RMC later in life to obtain a degree. They don't, however, march around and enjoy the "RMC Experience."

breezie said:
Just for clarification, if you want to do ROTP at RMC, you will be starting again as a first year, regardless of how many years of university you already have. You may get lots of transfer credits that you can apply to your degree (depending on your program and what you've already done), which will lighten your course load, but you will start again as a first year, as RMC is not just about the academic aspects. This is especially true in first year. I was lucky enough to figure out a way to skip second year, as I had 19 transfer credits from other universities (I already had a degree that was deemed not applicable to my trade). But, skipping any part of the program is definitely not the norm, and only about one cadet a year does that at most (and it's usually due to CEGEP credits). RMC has a very structured program, and it's really hard to make it fit around different circumstances (but not impossible).

I'm having my 2nd year in psychology major now, and hoping to get into ROTP for an engineering degree.
I wonder would I get all the credits transfer to RMC, despite that they r two different majors.

nickanick said:
I'm having my 2nd year in psychology major now, and hoping to get into ROTP for an engineering degree.
I wonder would I get all the credits transfer to RMC, despite that they r two different majors.

RMC is a recognized Canadian university.  You would have your credits recognized/transferred/accredited the same way you would if you were transferring to any other Canadian university, through the Registrar's office.

nickanick said:

To add to George's answer, while credits may be transferable I suspect that only a limited number of them will be applicable to an engineering degree.  Without knowing the details of the requirements for that degree at RMC, I'd speculate (based on my time at a civilian university) that you might get a couple of arts and/or business electives and perhaps some first-year hard sciences if you've taken any of those.

N. McKay said:
To add to George's answer, while credits may be transferable I suspect that only a limited number of them will be applicable to an engineering degree.  Without knowing the details of the requirements for that degree at RMC, I'd speculate (based on my time at a civilian university) that you might get a couple of arts and/or business electives and perhaps some first-year hard sciences if you've taken any of those.

Agreed, being accredited is nice and all but some university's let ego or some other unknown variable that's just as stupid get in the way.

My buddy was in the same year as me, but went to RMC instead of Civie U. Didn't get the trade he wanted (Land Engineer O) so decided to get out after the first year as he was entitled to do, and came back to Newfoundland for school. MUN gave him credit for 2 courses out of a full year of courses at RMC, and wouldn't accept any of Engineering courses towards his Engineering degree.

Meanwhile, Dalhousie will give a CF member 3 classes worth of credits for attending SLT in St. Jean during the summers.

All depends on the university, and likely the person sitting behind the desk.

Each university has its own policies as to what credits they will accept and the number of credits they will allow you to keep towards one of their Degrees.

Back