• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RIP Walter Cronkite

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
THIS man indeed influenced the world:
Cronkite passes away at age of 92

The iconic CBS News anchorman Walter Cronkite died Friday at the age of 92, his family said.
Cronkite, who anchored the newscast from 1962 to 1981, became a pioneering face of television journalism and was an evening institution in millions of American homes.

RIP Walter Cronkite!

:salute:

Edit
Mods: I just noted that this is Military Current Affairs and News.  Is there a more appropriate forum?  Thanks

R.I.P.  although I'm not an American I will admit this guy was a hell of a reporter.

These day it seems that most television news anchors are selected for their jobs because of their “prettiness” and “acting” ability.  Cronkite was a reporter of the old school, who paid his dues but continued to try to tell the truth despite becoming a personality.  Like most Canadians of my generation (before cable), we only got glimpses of him as he told “ . . . the way it was” about JFK’s assassination, the space race, the Vietnam War and much more.  Even so, it was easy to see why he was the most trusted man in America.

A footnote to Chapter 3 in Cornelius Ryan’s A Bridge Too Far

*Because Market-Garden was considered an all-British operation, few American correspondents were accredited to cover the attack.  None was at Arnhem.  One of the Americans attached to the 101st was a United Press reporter named Walter Cronkite, who landed by glider.  Cronkite recalls that “I thought the wheels of the glider were for landing.  Imagine my surprise when we skidded along the ground and the wheels came up through the floor.  I got another shock.  Our helmets, which we all swore were hooked, came flying off on impact and seem more dangerous than the incoming shells.  After landing I grabbed the first helmet I saw, my trusty musette bag with the Olivetti typewriter inside and began crawling toward the canal which was the rendezvous point.  When I looked back, I found a half dozen guys crawling after me.  It seems that I had grabbed the wrong helmet.  The one I wore had two neat stripes down the back indicating that I was a lieutenant.”

I read that in some parts of the world that news anchors are referred to as "Cronkites".
Uncle Walter was no pretty boy, but he could put the fear of God into people with his Channel Four ( Buffalo ) "bulletins".
He was before my time, but I read that Walter Winchell spoke at a rate of 197 words per minute, whereas Water Cronkite spoke at a rate of 124 words per minute. They both trained themselves to speak at these speeds because they recognised that the average American spoke at a rate in between of 165 wpm. Illustrates the different stlyes that newscasters choose for themselves.

mariomike said:
I read that in some parts of the world that news anchors are referred to as "Cronkites".
In Sweden, news anchors are "Kronkiters".  In Holland, they are "Cronkiters".

What has this got to do with Canadian military, was is Canadian?  ??? He was 92 for crying out loud and this sort of news doesn't have to overshadow our comrades in Afghanistan, of which one is being brought home tomorrow.

Jacksparrow:
I posted this (in error) in the Military Current Affairs and News.  This is simply "Current Affairs and News". 

This man brought us news that Kennedy was dead, that man was walking on the moon, that the Vietnam war was "unwinnable" and thereby affected US foreign policy for years.  He was the inspiration for the modern "Anchorman" (Called "cronkiters" in various nations).  That's all.

With that maybe its time to make a Current Affairs/News thread?

Midnight Rambler said:
Jacksparrow:
I posted this (in error) in the Military Current Affairs and News.  This is simply "Current Affairs and News". 

This man brought us news that Kennedy was dead, that man was walking on the moon, that the Vietnam war was "unwinnable" and thereby affected US foreign policy for years.  He was the inspiration for the modern "Anchorman" (Called "cronkiters" in various nations).  That's all.

So no one in Canada reported the same news then? Like I said, is he Canadian and apart from reporting news for an American outlet, what did he do for Canada?

It's time we start embracing our own people here in this country

Just my 2cents

So no one in Canada reported the same news then? Like I said, is he Canadian and apart from reporting news for an American outlet, what did he do for Canada?

It's time we start embracing our own people here in this country

Just my 2cents
Well, though he was not Canadian, he is more iconic that that one-gloved wearing pop star, who received plenty of news in life and in death, if for nothing else than mass voyeurism. 
There are plenty of notable Canadian reporters, including the "Voice of Doom" himself, Lorne Greene, who reported on the Blitz on London.  Walter Cronkite's influence extended beyond the states, but it was Walter Cronkite, the "most trusted man in America", whose statement that the Vietnam war was "unwinnable" that altered US policy in that war.

In short, not "Military" current affairs and news, but we certainly cannot be so myopic that we focus only north of the 49th parallel.

I've moved this topic here - based on the valid objections of some.

Let me say this - Walter Cronkite inspired me to become a military man - then he inspired me to protest "The War" - then he inspired me to become a military man.

Although some of you have a point - IE - he isn't Canadian - you need to understand that in the '60s and early '70s he was "The Man" when it came to news.  Nationality didn't matter.

Godspeed, Mr. Cronkite,

"And that's the way it was .... "

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff

Midnight Rambler said:
Well, though he was not Canadian, he is more iconic that that one-gloved wearing pop star, who received plenty of news in life and in death, if for nothing else than mass voyeurism. 
There are plenty of notable Canadian reporters, including the "Voice of Doom" himself, Lorne Greene, who reported on the Blitz on London.  Walter Cronkite's influence extended beyond the states, but it was Walter Cronkite, the "most trusted man in America", whose statement that the Vietnam war was "unwinnable" that altered US policy in that war.

In short, not "Military" current affairs and news, but we certainly cannot be so myopic that we focus only north of the 49th parallel.

Am sure there are a lot of people like him in Europe that were just as good and reported unbiased news, but I don't see them getting a shoutout here. Honestly....I think CBS is making a big deal out of it and people are getting carried away with it.

Just my take on it

Back