• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reversion to NCM

Yasha

Inactive
Reaction score
I was in the Infantry reserves for 2 years when I decided that I wanted to CT to the Infantry. My parents were big on education  and we reached some sort of compromise. I applied to RMC ROTP and was accepted. I arrived at RMC and after several months I realized that I do not wish to be an Officer but wish to serve as an NCM and obtain my military leadership and experience through the ranks. I put in my memo to revert as an NCM. I am now currently in 'Holding Platoon' at RMC awaiting my reversion and posting message. My BPSO's interview is on the 10th of March.
I understand that these things can take time. I have heard of people waiting for 6-11 months for their reversion and posting message. This is way too long for a person with my goals, ambitions and abilities. For the first time in my life I know what I want to do with my life and it is to seve in the Infantry. Howevever somethings held me back and I did not follow my will. I did not trust my decision to CT as a NCM. There must be a way to speed this process up. I am an ambitious, disciplined, reliant, switched on individual and all I would like to do is to serve in the infantry and my country. I do not want to lift boxes filled with printers and computers everyday for 8 months. I want to serve in Afghanistan more than anything before we pull put. This is my goal, and I am afraid with the rate things are going I will not be able to make it. I am fluent orally in both Dari, and Farsi, and understand the middle eastern culture well.  I would like to make a career, a lifestyle out of this. Everyday that goes by becomes harder because I feel I am stuck. My talent, drive, motivation, leadership and warrior spirit is being put to waste. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
:cdn:

You're not the first to do this and you probably won't be the last.  These things take time and while it's admirable that you want to serve overseas, I don't think there's any way to speed up the process.  You know what they say, the job isn't finished until the paperwork is done.
Right now, I'm sure there's people in PRETC (who are only waiting for trades training) who would be glad to be doing something, even if it is as "menial" as moving boxes all day.

There's lots of other people sitting around waiting for the CF to do something with them. You are but one small part of the larger machine called the CF, so just sit and wait.

Consider this a lesson in not doing something if you truely don't want to do it because, as you've just learned, it can take a while to extricate yourself.

So you and your 'warrior spirit' will just have to hurry up and wait like everyone else.

For some reason I thought of this scene from Star Wars:

"Yoda: Why wish you become Jedi?
Luke: Well, mostly because of my father, I guess.
Yoda: Ahh, father. Powerful Jedi was he. Powerful Jedi.
Luke: How could you know my father? You don't even know who I am. Oh, I don't even know what I'm doing here! We're wasting our time!
Yoda: [Looking away from Luke] I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.
Obi-Wan: He will learn patience.
Yoda: Much anger in him... like his father.
Obi-Wan: Was I any different when you taught me? "

Piper said:
There's lots of other people sitting around waiting for the CF to do something with them. You are but one small part of the larger machine called the CF, so just sit and wait.

Consider this a lesson in not doing something if you truely don't want to do it because, as you've just learned, it can take a while to extricate yourself.

So you and your 'warrior spirit' will just have to hurry up and wait like everyone else.

haha..star wars

My only advice would be to make sure your language skills, your willingness to go overseas, and whatever other assets that may prove useful as an infantryman are known.  The rest is up to 'the green machine'...

777 said:
I am fluent orally in both Dari, and Farsi, and understand the middle eastern culture well...  I feel I am stuck. My talent, drive, motivation, leadership and warrior spirit is being put to waste. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Unlike others I won't chastise you for "what you should have done", particularly given some posters' experience (or lack thereof) in the CF.  At times "hurrying up and waiting" is not the best course of action, particularly as the "system" has at times been known to lose files and perhaps not represent people as well as it could.  Here are a few questions to consider and some advice:

1.  What level of qualification did you reach in the PRes and did you complete basic training as an officer - ie would you be a Recruit School bypass and able to go directly to SQ and Battle School?  What infantry courses have you completed - basic comms, machine gunner, any driving courses, etc?  Make sure you know and if you can prove it with course reports or documentation, it would be most helpful.

2.  Who have you spoken to?  I would suggest getting an interview if at all possible with your supervisor to make them aware of your situation.  If your supervisor is a bored Cpl or a Sgt/WO/Capt waiting to retire who doesn't really care one bit about your or your peer group, suggest you see them first and push for an interview at the next level.  Chances are your chain of command doesn't understand the skills you bring to the table and are treating you like a zombie.  Curb your frustration with them and don't use the term "being put to waste" when you ask to speak higher - this will not help your efforts.  Be calm, reasonable, courteous and professional when you ask.  In addition, every CF member can view their own personnel file with their supervisor - a sit down together to go through it to make sure that it contains all the proper documents, course reports, etc.  I would suggest asking for this, as the BPSO will use your personnel file to build the snapshot of who you are and advise you accordingly.  If it's incomplete, then the picture will be incomplete.

3.  Prepare yourself for your BPSO interview.  Ensure you bring copies of all your Res infantry course reports with you.  Be able to speak about your goals, what you bring to the table and stress your previous qualifications in light of what they will mean in terms of getting you to be a productive combat arms soldier that much quicker vice being another new recruit going through the mill.  Treat it as a job interview.

4.  Work through options in your mind.  If the BPSO offers you another trade - Armour, Artillery, Engineer with the option to get into the training mill that much sooner, what will you say?  Blowing fish kisses, shuffling the feet and saying "I don't know" will have an impact similar to providing a firm, confident, logical, polite and well-reasoned answer... only in the negative respect.

5.  Career managers.  Any CF member has the right to speak with their career manager.  Since you wish to be an infantry soldier, perhaps a call to the Infantry career managers may help you.  On a DWAN computer, you will be able to go to the DGMC website and find out who the Infantry NCM career managers are (http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmc/engraph/mDetails_e.asp?Opensub=10&mosID=00010).  Ask them what the manning picture looks like in terms of your case, identifying the qualifications you have.  Don't call them cold, they're busy folks - be sure you've got your documentation in front of you and you know what questions you wish to ask.  Now, WORD TO THE WISE - the Career Managers CANNOT magically sort out your situation.  They manage the big picture and move soldiers from place to place, make sure career course loadings and promotions are taken care of, but they have VERY LITTLE POWER to influence your situation.  They work for their respective Regiments, under the umbrella of the Chief of Land Staff, as staff principles that keep the machine running, but they have no decision-making or executive authority.  They can provide information and help you look at options.  That being said, if they know about you, they may be able to ask, and when your file finds its way to their desks, you won't be an unknown.  However, DO NOT attempt to play "Career Manager vs RMC vs BPSO" games - it's been done and YOU WILL LOSE.  Don't attempt to influence one group by telling another group "well, MWO X told me this".  Trust me, the groups talk to each other and if you try to play, you'll be dropped from the good books like a bad habit, which will not help you.  In all cases, be honest and true.

6.  Language ability.  Have you been tested?  Is it reflected on your Military Personnel Record Resume?  If not, then according to the system, you have no MENA or other language ability.  Ask your chain of command if you could be tested and have your language skills reflected in your MPRR and personnel file.  The CF needs linguists, wearing uniforms, with soldier skills, to deploy.  If you have the skills, it could give you an edge.  Again, something to be mentioned in the BPSO interview and to your supervisor.

Bottom line, you must, in many cases, create your own luck and set conditions for your success by selecting and maintaining the aim.  Sell yourself, but focus on the good and what you can do for the CF, not the thought that "RMC is wasting my time, I want to go to Afghanistan".  Be not petulant, but patient.

My 2 cents and some free advice.  Take it for what it's worth.... I may have seen this sort of thing before.  Or, you could consider that I'm full of BS and just go your own way. 

The ball is in your court.

One small point:  Don't call the Infantry CM yourself, request it through your CoC.

Agree partially - ask the CoC/advise them of your desire to speak with the Infantry CM and get their OK to call.  But YOU should be speaking with them and asking the questions, not your chain of command.

CSA 105 said:
Agree partially - ask the CoC/advise them of your desire to speak with the Infantry CM and get their OK to call.  But YOU should be speaking with them and asking the questions, not your chain of command.

Sorry, that's what I meant, was to have them make the call but speak to them yourself.  Thanks for clearing that up, CSA 105.

CSA 105, thank you very much for that. Greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I agree with everything CSA 105 is saying here.

However, I am curious.  What is it exactly that makes you want to revert back to NCM.  Based on your description of yourself, assuming it is all true, it sounds like being an officer would not be the worst use of your attributes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it does appear as if though your decision to revert has more to do with trying to get to Afghanistan "before it is too late" then it does with anything else.  Im not trying to flame you or anything, but, if there is any truth in what I am saying, you should take some time to consider this carefully before you proceed...

There are also worse things out there then completing a university education, officer, NCM or otherwise.

maverick...
There are a whole lot of us NCOs who are educated.
Not all Bachelors & Masters are restricted to the Officer ranks.

geo said:
maverick...

geo, I think that's why he said officer, ncm, or otherwise.. in addition to basing his assessment on the posters description of himself and not soley on his potential for university.

Regardless, I think questioning 777's true motives for the reversion may give a better  context to those trying to help him here.

geo said:
maverick...

Snakedoc sums my thoughts up pretty well.  It doesnt matter wheather one is an officer, NCO or NCM, having a university degree is of huge benefit.  I get the impression that this guy is looking to forgo a degree, and a free one at that, to get to Afghanistan before its too late.  If that truly is the case then I recomend thinking twice about it.  Sadly, I think its safe to assume that Afghanistan is not the last conflict the world will ever see.  There will be plenty more chances im sure.

Think sunny Sudan, with maybe a side trip to the devastatingly beautiful Darfur....

Ummm RMC isn't quite a "free" education.
When I graduated, I entered the job market debt free & with no obligations to anyone.
RMC grads are required to serve XX years in the CF as payback.  Some people might call that free - others don't.

"....having a university degree is of huge benefit."

For officers, it's merely a condition of employment.
For NCMs, while diverse knowledge, ability to use spell check [hint], intellectual competence, etc are all useful attributes, there are times when there really isn't much value added in having the company signaller citing Foucault's Madness and Civilization.

For both groups, beneficial? Yes. Hugely beneficial? Not necessarily.

Well, since I continue to serve the CF with great enthusiasm, I regard such a deal as a free education with many benefits.  Not to mention the fact that the original poster aspires to a career in the regular forces one way or the other, so again in his case, a free education.

But either way, I was more trying to be brief then anything else.  Not having to pay tuition is one of MANY benefits associated with the ROTP program.  I would have given anything to get into this program back in the day, the marks just werent pristine enough.  777 has been given an opportunity that very few receive.  Id hate to see him or anyone else not follow through with it in a rush to get to the sandbox.

Journeyman said:
For both groups, beneficial? Yes. Hugely beneficial? Not necessarily.

Thats a matter of opinion I guess.  I think the more educated soldiers of all pay grades are, the better it is for the CF and for those individuals.  And god forbid you develop a medical condition and the CF decides they dont want you anymore...  Unless your family is about to starve, I have always beleived in education first, career/employment second.

Journeyman by your writings in this site I think you have a degree.
Am I to assume by your comment that you see no value in this education ?

Put me down in the pro education column.

Back