• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017

If anyone would like an excel spreadsheet to help calculate what their backpay will be, please send me a pm and I will forward the spreadsheet. I will need your email address in your pm.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Myself as well.  I'm chimping out here with the math, I calculated around 4100.. 

The way I see it, it's better than a ball stompin.

Revenue Canada has that in hand (my balls, that is) and are getting this to pay towards the taxes from the sea pay back pay.  Sigh...

murrdawg said:
If anyone would like an excel spreadsheet to help calculate what their backpay will be, please send me a pm and I will forward the spreadsheet. I will need your email address in your pm.

Any chance you could upload it in this thread?

Could be the file is too big; it should accept xls and xlsx files.  Have you tried ZIPing it?

dapaterson said:
Could be the file is too big; it should accept xls and xlsx files.  Have you tried ZIPing it?

Sea pay is going up as well, excellent.

dapaterson said:

Ah! Missed it the first time

Attachments

• BackpayCalculator2.xlsx
    12.3 KB · Views: 564
SJBeaton said:
I'm not confident this Excel chart is correct. When they say compounded, wouldn't that infer that the first year is multiplied by 1.25%, the next year is the new total from the first year x 1.25%, etc.? Could someone confirm? Thanks!

That's what I'm going off of.

Year 14/15= 1.25%
Year 15/16= 2.5%
Year 16/17= 3.75%+ 1.2%

Keeping mind that the 1.2% as of 2016 is not applied to allowances

Beadwindow 7 said:
That's what I'm going off of.

Year 14/15= 1.25%
Year 15/16= 2.5%
Year 16/17= 3.75%+ 1.2%

Keeping mind that the 1.2% as of 2016 is not applied to allowances

Roger that; thanks.

I even had a clerk in a pay office check it out, and it's accurate.

I don't have the newer version of Office at home.  (Old/Old school?)

Anyhow, I took the xlsx, saved the format, and punched it out in xls format.

If anyone wants it, drop me a note.

Of note, Spec 1, PO1/CPO2, my guestimate is approximately a total of $8600, with me seeing $4700 after a 45% tax hit.  (45% is about what I saw come off my SDA backpay last month.)

NS

Quite a substantial pay raise and back pay...  7.5k after tax backpay and 8k a year extra.

Edited for typo!

8k a month extra?

Damn I really should have taken CEOTP pilot back in the day!

SupersonicMax said:
Quite a substantial pay raise and back pay...  7.5k after tax backpay and 8k a year extra.

Edited for typo!
While I appreciate any raise, call me less than overwhelmed. 

The increase in the cost of living between our last pay raise and this one averaged 1.53% a year (Bank of Canada Inflation Calculator - 2013 to 2017) for a net result of a 6.28% increase in the cost of living against a base increase of just 5% and just about breaking even once the Military Factor is added in.  We still fell behind and considering this has just "caught us up" as of 1 Apr 17, we're going to keep falling behind as there is nothing in place for 1 Apr 18...and we can pretty much assume that like the last "x" number of times this has happened, it's going to be another 2-3 years before we get that one...

There shouldn't be a huge chunk of back pay, we should have had that money in our pockets well before now.  Like it or not, there is a cost to that, if for nothing less than the deferred tax implications of suddenly having a significant, unforeseen, spike in your income.  As alluded to, for people who are getting several tranches of back pay for various reasons, this is having a pretty significant impact on the money they are actually able to benefit from.  For folks paying spousal or child support, this could also result in them suddenly owing a significant amount for those issues, depending on the terms of their agreements/settlements.

I'm personally pretty tired of the "retroactivity" on everything that has crept into our pay and allowances over the past 10-15 years, including getting nailed with retroactive cancellations or decreases in allowances resulting in monies owing back to the Crown through no fault of the members. 

murrdawg said:
Ah! Missed it the first time

Thanks, any smart person here do a similar calculator for environmental allowances? Sea pay, LDA etc

Jon

garb811 said:
The increase in the cost of living between our last pay raise and this one averaged 1.53% a year (Bank of Canada Inflation Calculator - 2013 to 2017) for a net result of a 6.28% increase in the cost of living against a base increase of just 5% and just about breaking even once the Military Factor is added in.  We still fell behind and considering this has just "caught us up" as of 1 Apr 17, we're going to keep falling behind as there is nothing in place for 1 Apr 18...and we can pretty much assume that like the last "x" number of times this has happened, it's going to be another 2-3 years before we get that one...

Most, if not all unions settled 4 year contracts that don't expire until well into 2018.  As far as I know, all of the collective agreements will still be in force as of 1 April 2018, so a benchmark Public Service salary should be an easy calculation, making the CF wage increase an easy calculation.  The unions will start the collective bargaining process in early 2018 again.  You have to remember that the long period without anything happening resulted from a government that said "it's our way or the highway"...and that's not negotiating in good faith.

So, just for interest's sake, this pay raise changes the threshold for making $100,000 a year base salary from Major-Basic to Capt-Incentive 8.

Of course, that's just a psychological threshold, and military personnel aren't being published in the Sunshine List, but I thought it was an interesting number.

Back