• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017

opcougar said:
I mean some people can't even be bothered going to university (I don't mean those where money is an issue)

Just what the f$&% is THAT supposed to mean??

opcougar said:
You took the words right out of my gob.....and just to add to your brilliant answer, if it was that easy becoming one of those, everybody will be doing it. I mean some people can't even be bothered going to university (I don't mean those where money is an issue)

Sounds like you need a cup of "get the hell over yourself".  I have had subordinates with degrees that couldn't lace boots up correctly.

opcougar said:
You took the words right out of my gob.....and just to add to your brilliant answer, if it was that easy becoming one of those, everybody will be doing it. I mean some people can't even be bothered going to university (I don't mean those where money is an issue)

It's a long drop off that ivory tower of yours.

Me thinks, this is going to get interesting.    :pop:

You asked and I'll try to explain myself.....here goes

The point was made about Medical / Dental officer salaries.....now move away from Military for a second and think in Civvie terms. Now if being a dentist and doctor was easy everyone will be doing it and we won't have the doctor shortages we have in the country would we?

My comments were not Military centric, I was simply talking about the professions in general. My latter point about people not even deciding to go to university, is in reference to the usual comments that am sure you've heard...."people with degrees can't get a job, why should I bother" etc

I have staff with degrees, but they've told me that they enjoy what they do, and that is all that matters in life.

So for those that jumped in here with both feet, hopefully this clarifies things for you?

Serenity folks...the rule still applies i.e. when you read something, take a break and come back before you pull the rage trigger

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Just what the f$&% is THAT supposed to mean??

opcougar said:

opcougar said:
The point was made about Medical / Dental officer salaries.....

My comments were not Military centric, I was simply talking about the professions in general. My latter point about people not even deciding to go to university, is in reference to the usual comments that am sure you've heard...."people with degrees can't get a job, why should I bother" etc

I have staff with degrees, but they've told me that they enjoy what they do, and that is all that matters in life.

Point noted on the Med/Dent side but then you went on to use the proverbial "wide paint brush" comment which is rather confusing/intriguing to most.  It gives the impression that what you are telling us, is that those who possess higher education (ie; post secondary) are "better" than those who don't.  Hell, if someone said to me "I mean some people can't even be bothered going to university (I don't mean those where money is an issue)" I think anyone who didn't, would be offended by such a remark.

I have had Jr Ranks working for me who had "Masters Degrees".  Didn't make them a "Super NCO" nor did it sell them short.  Higher education is always a good thing but to use it as social measuring stick, been there, seen it and it's an amazing thing to behold.

You seem to put alot of stock in post secondary education........

PS - like a good PhD friend of mine told me one day, higher education may get you through the door but it's what you do afterwards that really counts

opcougar said:
.... some people can't even be bothered going to university (I don't mean those where money is an issue)
Some people would rather go to college, equivalent vocational school or an apprenticeship and apply a trade for a living.  I don't see that as any sign of sloth.

opcougar said:
Serenity folks...the rule still applies i.e. when you read something, take a break and come back before you pull the rage trigger

...and I'll say before you talk, or hit send, think about what you are about to say.  Something a Grade 9 drop-out shouldn't have to explain to you.

I've got two degrees, and it does not mean in any way shape or form I am any smarter or less smart than any of my NCOs.

Somehow, for the Army, it means I'm officer material. Yay me. But that's a different story for another day. I guess at least I didn't have a rich family member who could buy my commission for me, like was still done about a hundred years ago.

All it really means is I chose one path in life, while a degree-less NCO chose another. His/her life experiences are different than mine, and mine from his/hers. But those experiences frame our collective approach to the jobs we do, the tasks we are assigned, and as long as Commander's intent still being met, who gives a flying sexual encounter?

DAA said:
PS - like a good PhD friend of mine told me one day, higher education may get you through the door but it's what you do afterwards that really counts

My sister, also a PhD, said if there was one thing she learned (as an older student)  was that for some people a degree just meant they were educated idiots.

opcougar said:

No rage, just a simple, point of fact, observation. Also I suggest you look at what time you posted and what time I responded. How much longer of a break would you suggest?

You also know I'm here all the time. ;)

opcougar said:
Now if being a dentist and doctor was easy everyone will be doing it and we won't have the doctor shortages we have in the country would we?

There certainly are no shortages of dentists, and the only reason some areas have a shortage of Doctors is because after sucking at the taxpayer's teat for 8 years they all think they deserve to practice in whatever large city they chose........

Bruce Monkhouse said:
There certainly are no shortages of dentists, and the only reason some areas have a shortage of Doctors is because after sucking at the taxpayer's teat for 8 years they all think they deserve to practice in whatever large city they chose........

That's not entirely correct.  The medical profession also artificially limits entry to medical school, helping to ensure scarcity, which in turn increases their leverage when seeking money.

dapaterson said:
That's not entirely correct.  The medical profession also artificially limits entry to medical school, helping to ensure scarcity, which in turn increases their leverage when seeking money.

True,...thanks for that point.

dapaterson said:

As well, there was a large influx of Doctors from the US, recently, that had decided they'd rather practice here.

As soon as that trend was noticed, the Feds changed the rules and made the hoops they had to jump through impossible, except for the most stout hearted and financially well off to pay the immigration lawyers to facilitate their entry.

Prior, it was "I have a skill that's needed here, there is no one to fill it, I have a company to hire me for that skill."  That was it in a nutshell.

When a bunch of them started to apply, a trend was noticed, 'someone' drew Ottawa's attention to it and the game changed.

However, we'll still take in doctors from Lower Slobovia (google it, it's a place ;) ) that have their most recent diploma from Good King Nogoodnik's School of Barbering, Dentistry and Internal Medicine.

It's the provinces, not the feds, that set the rules for doctors.  They're a self-regulating profession, meaning that there's rarely legal accountability for their actions - witness the doctor who performed cosmetic surgery in her office, had a patient die because of her incompetence, yet never faced manslaughter charges.

(Or for another example of the failure of self-regulation look to the Ontario Bar - interesting series of articles in the Star recently about how lawyers can steal from clients for years before the Bar takes any action - and the lawyers have decided that the law means they can't report those crooks to the police; so the only ones that lose out, in the end, are John and Jane Q Public)

dapaterson said:
It's the provinces, not the feds, that set the rules for doctors.  They're a self-regulating profession, meaning that there's rarely legal accountability for their actions - witness the doctor who performed cosmetic surgery in her office, had a patient die because of her incompetence, yet never faced manslaughter charges.

(Or for another example of the failure of self-regulation look to the Ontario Bar - interesting series of articles in the Star recently about how lawyers can steal from clients for years before the Bar takes any action - and the lawyers have decided that the law means they can't report those crooks to the police; so the only ones that lose out, in the end, are John and Jane Q Public)

My mistake. I knew there was Gov't interference, whoever it was. Even though the Feds control immigration, whether it be doctors or green house workers from Mexico.

I know first hand about the lawyer stuff. One of mine was suspended twice, and kept practicing, including my case, then finally disbarred. Bribery, trust fund issues, you name it. All the while working for a large local, 'supposedly' reputable law firm. They knew his sanctions, but let him keep practicing under their banner because he brought in money for the firm. In the end they let him take the fall and they skated with a warning from the Law Society. ::)

Yes, the lawyer who handled my house sale and purchase just sent out a friendly letter telling folks he had retired, and that his files had been transferred to another law firm in town.

A few days after the date on his letter he was disbarred.

Back