• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retro Pay & Allow 1Apr 2014 - 1Apr 2017

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Yea,...must really suck to be able to get wage increases without having to risk a friggin' cent of your own money while on a picket line.  Give your head a shake......

We're not allowed to picket, as I'm sure you know. You can bet there'd be quite a few CF members willing to risk their money on a picket line to get better compensation and benefits, after all, we're expected to have to risk our lives right?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Yea,...must really suck to be able to get wage increases without having to risk a friggin' cent of your own money while on a picket line.  Give your head a shake......
I don't have anything against the public service or public service unions. I do, however, take exception to the notion that I should be thankful for the fact that whatever I get as compensation or benefits for my military service is linked to the success or failure of the public service collective bargaining process. You give your head a shake. 

In my line of work we used to have 'binding arbritation" and then Bob Rae was "kind" enough to give us the right to strike.......careful what you wish for Gentlemen.

Be thankful someone else does your dirty work.....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
In my line of work we used to have 'binding arbritation" and then Bob Rae was "kind" enough to give us the right to strike.......careful what you wish for Gentlemen.

Be thankful someone else does your dirty work.....
I can flip that argument on you. You be thankful that I do the dirty work that allows you to do your dirty work without fear of being shipped off to the Gulag. Which is more important? I get the point you're trying to make however, and I know that for good or bad, that's how it works. But I don't have to like it or be guilted into feeling thankful for it.

Transporter said:
I can flip that argument on you. You be thankful that I do the dirty work that allows you to do your dirty work without fear of being shipped off to the Gulag. Which is more important? I get the point you're trying to make however, and I know that for good or bad, that's how it works. But I don't have to like it or be guilted into feeling thankful for it.

Ooooooohhh, look at that.  The "respect me because I stand on the wall" argument....

Infanteer said:
Ooooooohhh, look at that.  The "respect me because I stand on the wall" argument....
If that's your take-away from what I said, or the point I was trying to make, then you ain't gettin' it. Read back a few posts and see if it makes any more sense to you... on second thought, don't bother.

PuckChaser said:
We're not allowed to picket, as I'm sure you know. You can bet there'd be quite a few CF members willing to risk their money on a picket line to get better compensation and benefits, after all, we're expected to have to risk our lives right?

Are you serious?  How much better of a pay raise do you think you would get that wouldn't get eaten up by the loss of income for the period for which you didn't get paid?

I always tell people that if money is your biggest motivation, then military service is not the way to go, but for the most part, we're paid pretty well (especiially if you consider the amount of training and education you DON'T need to join and which we provide).  If you plan your life and don't expect to move into a mansion with an SUV and boat straight out of BMQ, then you can live pretty comfortably.  Furthermore, we have a host of other benefits that those in the private sector can only dream about. We're also paid without interruption and don't have to worry about layoffs.

Some folks don't seem to know how good they have it.

There is no need to goad or insult each other.

Different jobs, different conditions, different rules.

We all made the choices that we did.

Whether or not the CF deserves a pay raise is outside of my lanes, but based on the historical record, there has been a pay raise implemented effective every 1 Apr since 1997. So based on the trend -- there is probably one coming in 2014.

Sun goes up, sun goes down, after a while you start to trust it.

With them trimming the fat, it all depends on the budgets. Only can wait and see.

Pusser said:
Are you serious?  How much better of a pay raise do you think you would get that wouldn't get eaten up by the loss of income for the period for which you didn't get paid?

I never said I'd be one of those people, it was simply a response to the fact that we should be thankful someone is willing to walk a picket line for us, which I think is BS.

Because one of my corporals-now-newly-minted-Master-Corporal just asked, thought I'd post it where most relevant.

I haven't otherwise seen the new scales, they're not on the Web site yet either.

"Approved wage increases for Non-commissioned members, General Service Officers, Pilots in the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and below, and medical and dental officers are 1.75% for 2011-2012, 1.50% for 2012-2013, and 2.00% for 2013-2014. Included in the pay increases are adjustments of 0.25% for fiscal year (FY) 2011-2012 and 0.50% for FY 2013-2014 in consideration of the changes to the severance benefit."

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/pay-increase-backgrounder.page

SupersonicMax said:
So, how has this anything to do with FY14-15??

Dunno, that's all I could find. I'd hoped it was a starting point, but...

Any number crunchers out there?

National Defence Act, s. 12

Treasury Board’s power to make regulations

(3) The Treasury Board may make regulations

(a) prescribing the rates and conditions of issue of pay of military judges, the Director of Military Prosecutions and the Director of Defence Counsel Services;

(b) prescribing the forfeitures and deductions to which the pay and allowances of officers and non-commissioned members are subject; and

(c) providing for any matter concerning the pay, allowances and reimbursement of expenses of officers and non-commissioned members for which the Treasury Board considers regulations are necessary or desirable to carry out the purposes or provisions of this Act.

blackberet17 said:

There are no numbers to crunch yet.  There won't be any numbers to crunch until most if not all Public Service unions negotiate new collective agreements this year, which will establish new benchmarks for the CF pay to be based upon.

blackberet17 said:

Current pay tables reflect all the adjustments you mentioned.

I'm not holding my breathe for one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/financial-transparency-motion-approved-at-tory-convention-in-wake-of-senate-scandal/article15232241/

"One of the motions – to claw back public-sector pay and benefits to private-sector standards – was backed by Treasury Board President Tony Clement, the federal government's point man on reaching contracts with its civil service.

"This is exactly our position going into the next round of bargaining. For too long, there has been this major gap in wages and benefits between the public and the private sector, where the public sector is considerably more than the private sector norms.  This is not sustainable, it’s not right, it’s not conservative and it’s not in the public interest," Mr. Clement said to cheers from the convention Saturday, urging delegates to back the motion, which they did."

i trranslate as a possible - no pay increase and welcome back to the dark ages.  I can see it going down as "we will leave the pension as is if you forego an increase."  Winners all around, they union boss can brag how they saved the pension and the goverment can brag how they held they unionized pay at par.

CountDC said:
I'm not holding my breathe for one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/financial-transparency-motion-approved-at-tory-convention-in-wake-of-senate-scandal/article15232241/

"One of the motions – to claw back public-sector pay and benefits to private-sector standards – was backed by Treasury Board President Tony Clement, the federal government's point man on reaching contracts with its civil service.

"This is exactly our position going into the next round of bargaining. For too long, there has been this major gap in wages and benefits between the public and the private sector, where the public sector is considerably more than the private sector norms.  This is not sustainable, it’s not right, it’s not conservative and it’s not in the public interest," Mr. Clement said to cheers from the convention Saturday, urging delegates to back the motion, which they did."

i trranslate as a possible - no pay increase and welcome back to the dark ages.  I can see it going down as "we will leave the pension as is if you forego an increase."  Winners all around, they union boss can brag how they saved the pension and the goverment can brag how they held they unionized pay at par.

To be fair, the policy of the Conservative Party of Canada =/= the policy of the Conservative government.  There are plenty of items in the Conservatives' declaration on policy that will never become government policy for a variety of reasons.

Back