• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retired general claims $72K in moving expenses (CTV)

Well that is just awesome. You are now supposed to pick your retirement home, on a 5 day HHT, without even necessarily knowing it was your retirement house.  ::)

SeaKingTacco said:
Well that is just awesome. You are now supposed to pick your retirement home, on a 5 day HHT, without even necessarily knowing it was your retirement house.  ::)

Don't recall who, but someone just said it well over in another thread, "Optics trump common sense and fairness".

Quote of the damn day.

SeaKingTacco said:

Crystal Ball, Mk IV.  NSN 6530-21-865-3389.  Will be available at a Supply warehouse near you.  ;D

I have not yet seen the inevitable CANFORGEN, but does this crap can just the under 40kms final move, or the entire final move (ie you get dumped from the CF at whatever your last posting, is)?

SeaKingTacco said:
I have not yet seen the inevitable CANFORGEN, but does this crap can just the under 40kms final move, or the entire final move (ie you get dumped from the CF at whatever your last posting, is)?

Appears to affect "same city" moves only i.e. you still get your final move to your IPR on release (if you qualify), but it can't be within the same city (however that will be defined).

SeaKingTacco said:

The only time 40 km comes into play for move to IPR on release is that you cannot claim HEA unless you move more than 40 km. 

Otherwise, the 40 km requirement is for a posting from one place of duty to another; the new residence must be at least 40 km closer to the new place of duty than the old residence in order to be eligible for a move under IRP. 

Your final move to IPR on release can be across the street if you so choose (under existing regs), so long as it's a medical release or you have more than 10 years of service.

I'm guessing that an arbitrary distance will be chosen, and if you're under that distance - no eligibility for a move to IPR.

This is frustrating. We moved to our current posting with 8 weeks notice. I quit a super great, very secure civilian job. We bought our house in under two days. We settled on an only okay house since my job was gone and it no longer helped us get a larger mortgage.

I eventually got another great, super secure job. We bought our forever, dream house eventually, about 33 km down the road from the just okay house we bought earlier, thinking we would get some moving costs back upon his eventual and not far off retirement.

Guess not.

And yes, he is past 24 years of service  so could elect to retire tomorrow, but wasn't intending to. It is a real slam in the gut.

Wouldn't they have to pay for your final move if you were living in a PMQ and you chose to remain in the geographical area?

liams mom said:
This is frustrating. We moved to our current posting with 8 weeks notice. I quit a super great, very secure civilian job. We bought our house in under two days. We settled on an only okay house since my job was gone and it no longer helped us get a larger mortgage.

I eventually got another great, super secure job. We bought our forever, dream house eventually, about 33 km down the road from the just okay house we bought earlier, thinking we would get some moving costs back upon his eventual and not far off retirement.

Guess not.

And yes, he is past 24 years of service  so could elect to retire tomorrow, but wasn't intending to. It is a real slam in the gut.

Can you backdate an IPR move?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Wouldn't they have to pay for your final move if you were living in a PMQ and you chose to remain in the geographical area?

You would think so.  Interesting twist to consider.

Capt. Happy said:
Can you backdate an IPR move?

When we did the move we checked and were told yes. Of course, one never knows until one actually files the paper work...we were made aware that the policy can change at any time and we still went ahead, willing to take the risk. It would be nice to claim some of the fees and costs which we paid out.

Hubby is going to get some more info this week and see what our options are.

Occam said:
Crystal Ball, Mk IV.  NSN 6530-21-865-3389.  Will be available at a Supply warehouse near you.  ;D

CGCS doesn't list a crystal ball  :mad: , but the NSN above should be ordered and sent to CTV .

Code:
Item Identification 
 NSN:  6530-21-865-3389
 DMC:   A 
DPA1:  Gen Inst 2b 
DPA2:  NNNN 

Date CGCS Established:  17-FEB-1972
  STATUS Date:  31-DEC-1999

Last Updated:  01-SEP-2009

ITEM NAME:  ENEMA ADMINISTRATION SET,DISPOSABLE

Characteristic  Reply 
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS ITEM DESCRIPTION
  CONSISTS OF A GRADUATED 1500 TO 2000 CC CAPACITY PLASTIC FILM BAG FITTED WITH A 60 INCH ENEMA TUBE,ENEMA SOAP,STERILE LUBRICANT,PLASTIC LINED UNDER PAD,AND ASHUT-OFF CLAMP

USERS:   MS, TA 

RNCC RNVC  Reference Number NCAGE 
5 2  20275-010
3 2  BP3443
 Management Data - from CFSS 
Stock Type:    
 C 
Stock Classification:    
 X 
Stock Item Group:    

IM Advisory:    
 2E 
Tracking Indicator:    

Repairability:    
 A 
Entitlement Checking:    
 NO

Batch Lot Managed in CFSS:    
 NO

Shelf Life:    
 0 (Months)

Quality Assurance:    
 C 
Supply Manager:    
Lead TA:    
 C10K 
SCHC:    

Serial Number Profile:    

Base Unit Of Measure:    

Unit of Issue:    
 EA 
CFSS UOI price:    
 $2.72 

HAZMAT:   

Sounds like it's designed to offer a more clear vision for those with their heads up their asses.

A lot of news "reports" are, partially (sometimes even largely), written by public relations professionals in the "communications" branches/departments of corporations, government agencies and special interest groups. That's why some people, including me refer (too often unfairly) to journalists as stenographers: they, the reporters, in effect, take dictation (some of you young folks may have to Google that expression) from the PR professionals. My sense is that there was some of this in this 'report;' the Conservatives are at war with the public sector - and it's good politics, in most of Canada, to run against "fat city" and the public service -and this news report reads rather like part of the campaign.

So in other words, we're collatoral damage in the summer offensive against the PS.

jollyjacktar said:
So in other words, we're collatoral damage in the summer offensive against the PS.

We could use that as "Optics" in the media......  >:D

jollyjacktar said:

That's how it looks to me.

This is, from a partisan political perspective, a "double whammy:" it reminds voters in 200± ridings why they don't really like the "fat cat" public sector with their defined benefit pensions, and, and, and ... and it reminds a more select pool of voters, in Ottawa, that Andy Leslie (soon to be a star Liberal candidate) appears to have sucked, big time, from the public teat.

E.R. Campbell said:
........and, and, and ... and it reminds a more select pool of voters, in Ottawa, that Andy Leslie (soon to be a star Liberal candidate) appears to have sucked, big time, from the public teat.

So to 'discredit' a potential Liberal candidate, thousands are thrown to the curb. 

Are all our politicians fools to hire complete morons as their advisers?  It seems that in the past decade more politicians have been caught up in the scandalous maneuvering and strategies of their political handlers than in ever in the past.  Although this may cause harm Andy Leslie as a potential candidate, it does just as much harm, if not more, to the Conservatives. 

It's not all politics ... I am 100% sure that there were some earnest bean counters pushing this (and other) cost cutting measures. But, notwithstanding the merits (or lack of same) of the issue, the presentation is being done in a highly partisan manner ~ just the way Liberal, NDP and other Conservative governments frame policy announcements.

Back