• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retired general claims $72K in moving expenses (CTV)

civmick

Reaction score
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ctv-exclusive-retired-general-claimed-72k-in-expenses-for-move-within-ottawa-1.1688678
One of Canada’s most high-profile military leaders claimed more than $72,000 in expenses, including real estate fees, for a move from his Ottawa home to another residence in the city after he retired, CTV News has learned.

Documents obtained by CTV News show retired general Andrew Leslie, who once led Canada’s mission in Afghanistan, claimed the expenses for a move in 2012.

Leslie retired from the military in 2011, but members of the Canadian Forces are entitled to expense one last move after they retire.

So the story here is that LGen Leslie took the final move that all CF members are entitled to upon release from the CF (assuming they serve long enough to qualify). Do I have that about right?

::)

SeaKingTacco said:
So the story here is that LGen Leslie took the final move that all CF members are entitled to upon release from the CF (assuming they serve long enough to qualify). Do I have that about right?

::)

What are the conditions on this "one last move"? I am not familiar with this policy.

Goose15 said:
What are the conditions on this "one last move"? I am not familiar with this policy.
You're not even through the recruiting process.....sigh

I'm going to introduce you to a phrase you will hear at Recruit School......
"Wait for it!"

Journeyman said:
You're not even through the recruiting process.....sigh

I'm going to introduce you to a phrase you will hear at Recruit School......
"Wait for it!"

You are correct in that :nod:

I simply enjoy obtaining knowledge and I was quite unaware of this policy. I am simply interested in how it works. Would be interested even if I was not in the reciting process :)

Edit to add: I have tried searching for it but no combination of key words is acquiring pertinent results.

If I might quote David Dingwall...

"I'm entitled to my entitlments"

mark-space said:
If I might quote David Dingwall...

"I'm entitled to my entitlments"

Utter tripe.  Their expert is Stven Staples --- that should tell you something.  Once again, the MSM is attempting to put the government in bad light by creating a scandal out of nothing.

Each and every member of the CAF is entitled to a final move upon retirement; this means you too. There are very legitimate reasons for that. Bonified Service Requirements being only one of them.

Think about it: you enrol in Halifax, NS. At retirement, you are posted in butt-fuck nowhere Wainwright, Alberta.  YOU are entitled to have the government move you to the location you are going to settle in.  They will pay the cost of that final move up to what it would cost them to move you from that last posting (Wainwright) back to Halifax, NS (pace of enrolment).  If you enrolled in Halifax and your final posting is in Gagetown, NB but you want to retire in Victoria, BC ... they would only contribute/pay up to what it would cost to move you from Gagetown (your final posting) to Halifax (your place of enrolment).

Otherwise, you'd have a tonne of persons who volunteered to serve their country all over this nation, stuck in whatever location they happened to have been posted to by their government when they hit retirement.  Imagine stuck in Goose Bay, Wainwrong or XXX forvever after you retired simply because your government posted you there ... not because you moved there by choice.

[Edit to note that I deleted a portion of this post]

And if Mr. Leslie decided to move to say Victoria, his expenses would have been in the hundreds of thousands.  Maybe the counter spin is that if the policy is reversed, then some poor corporal in Cold Lake AB is going to be stuck there, forcing him to busk his way back to e.g. Quebec....

ArmyVern said:
Utter tripe.  Their expert is Stven Staples --- that should tell you something. 
Technoviking said:
I read the magic word ("Staples") and since I knew they weren't talking about a retail outlet, I stopped reading.
Ad hominem against public figures has gotten the site in legal troubles before.  You can have your opinion of the author, but please focus your comments on the content of the article.

I read the article, the issue isn't whether he was entitled to move, it's whether he should be entitled to move four minutes down the road as he moved from one house to another in the same city.  He didn't break any rules but the optics just look bad.  All CF members are entitled to their entitlements though so it really should be a non-story.  Pisses me off that we have former officers like Pat Strogran calling him out when attacking this could affect everyone in the CF.

There may be a problem with this when the mention is made of "four minute down the road".  When a member qualifies for a paid move at the end of their service, there are regulations that dictate minimum and maximum distances that a cost move can be made.  The question that has been raised in the comments to this article included one that raised this factoid:

Under the Integrated Relocation Directives of the Department of National Defence, Officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces are entitled to a relocation within 2 years following retirement, providing the move/relocation is not less than 40 kilometres between the old residence and new residence. This is not about the costs associated to the relocation, but, whether a relocation under 40 Km meets the DND Integrated Relocation Directives Entitlements for approval.

If there was an abuse here, then there is a problem.  If there was no abuse of this regulation, this is a non-news event.

George Wallace said:
If there was an abuse here, then there is a problem.  If there was no abuse of this regulation, this is a non-news event.

Exactly.

George Wallace said:
There may be a problem with this when the mention is made of "four minute down the road".  When a member qualifies for a paid move at the end of their service, there are regulations that dictate minimum and maximum distances that a cost move can be made.  The question that has been raised in the comments to this article included one that raised this factoid:

ack George thanks for that tidbit

Goose15 said:
I simply enjoy obtaining knowledge and I was quite unaware of this policy.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2011-2012-directive-ch14.page

Eye In The Sky said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2011-2012-directive-ch14.page

Thank you sir! :salute:

George Wallace said:

As long as you have more than 10 years of service, or are being released under a 3(b), you're entitled to a move anywhere in Canada.  There are no minimum distance requirements on a move to IPR.  The 40 km minimum requirement only kicks in for members posted from one place of duty to another place of duty.

I've read Chap 14 of the Relocation Directive and it makes no mention of final IPR location having to be a minimum distance from current employment location. Part 14.3 states that entitlements for IPR move are basically the same as for any other move with some restrictions on things like HHT and HEA (IPR locn must be >40Kms for both). Thus, unless he claimed something that's expressly forbidden in these limitations, he should be G2G.

That said, I can see how the optics still look bad to those who are not in the know, but selling a house valued at over $1M alone would account for most of what his IPR move cost - and that's something I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of CF pers will never have to do in their lifetime.

Eye In The Sky said:

Thank you for that link.  It qualifies many of the posts that followed.

It really doesn't matter on what rank a member retires at after over ten years of service; according to the directive any move will be a fairly expensive cost.  Movers are not cheap.  Realtors (X2) are not cheap.  Lawyers and Legal Fees (both ends of move) are not cheap.  Hotel accommodations are/may be involved.  Temporary storage may be involved.  Contracts for cleaners may be involved.  Building Inspector fees most likely are an additional cost.  Travel costs, even for a short distance are involved.  I am quite sure that the expense of $72K for this move, can easily be matched by dozens or more moves made by other members of the CAF on Release after twenty or more years of service.  The longer the member serves the more they accumulate in property and the larger their family may become.  It is only common sense that their last moves may be expensive.  Perhaps the author of this article is on a "witch hunt" looking for some sensationalism to promote their own agenda......or they just have no common sense.

To give you some context, I just did my IPR move in August 2013 - it was 35 km door-to-door, the house at origin sold at $342K, we had no unusual move-related costs like boats or trailers - and the total cost of the move came out to approx $25,500.

I was posted last APS to a new geographical location inside the same province.  We bought a new home, stayed in hotels, had cleaners in at the residence we vacated, got misc expenses, put my posting allowance into a spousal RRSP, had lawyers fees paid for, home inspections, deed transfers etc.

How come *I* never made it into the news dammit?  :tempertantrum:

Back