• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but Infantry does not interest me in the slightest. Mostly because I am from Halifax and it would be more likely that I would get posted out here, seeing as there are no reg force Infantry units here.

I just graduated from RMC.  I got a BEng degree.  I think that it is a fantastic idea to actually go to RMC and talk to the Cadets there.  Although not the first years, you can, but try to talk to fourth years, and not just one.  I really wished I had.  Some people love it there, and others hate it.  I was one of the ones that hated it. 
I have had many conversations with my peers over the recruiting centers.  A lot of them felt as though they'd been lied to or mislead.  Just like everything else, there are some good recruiters who really know their stuff, and others that just don't.  None the less they are the ones that know the system.  So for all your questions about chances based on various factors, they are the only ones who would have any chance of knowing. 
All I want you to take away from this is start asking the right questions.  If you talk to Cadets ask questions about lifestyle, about their courses, find someone who has the trade that you are interested in.  The training is constantly changing, and they'd be the most up to date on that topic.  Again try to find the older Cadets.  Also what no-one seems to have told you, is that there is the ROTP civilian university program.  It is in no way the lesser option.  There are many benefits to it that RMC does not have.  Including a much wider academic choice.  I also think that more independence is gained through going to civy U, provided you won't still live with your parents.  People go from the influence of their parents to the very oppressive influence of RMC.  Without ever having developed on their own. 
From what I've experienced marks are a large part of who gets accepted.  There are a lot of very intelligent people at RMC, book smart that is.  Socially smart?  That's a little different.  I also have friends that got in with comparatively low high school marks (I personally was about 85 or 86%).  Some were recruited for sports, others just applied in the right year.  Some may have wowed the interviewer, who knows?  Remember there is also a waiting list! 
The point is, before you accept find out as much as you can about it.  If you really want to be an officer there is more than just RMC.  Determine if you really want to go to RMC (there is also the first year trial to determine if it is right for you).  Don’t dismiss the NCM world, there are some really exciting opportunities only open to them.  And, about being a leader, most of the good leadership examples I have experienced have been senior NCMs/NCOs.  So find out what you want and apply, and stop wondering about what the chances are, because it REALLY DOES'NT MATTER!  Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your response. I have done my homework on RMC, and it looks perfect for me. I would very much like to go and talk to some RMC students, but unfortunately due to distance I cannot. I have although heard accounts from people saying that there is nothing like the RMC experience and Highly recommend it. I have also seen through these posts that RMC has appeased many people. I have considered the option of going to a civilian university while doing ROTP but have opted not to choose this option, so I can gain as much military experience as possable to help me as I enter my career. As for the NCM path I am currently experiencing it now in the reserves, and plan to stay in if in fact my application is denied. I realise that there are many interesting jobs in the NCM section, but I feel that I am more suited to the role of an officer and their line of work is more appealing to me.
thank you again

awaitingtraining said:
Although not the first years,

Whats the problem about talking to the first years? Do we not know anything in your view or what?

Paish said:
Whats the problem about talking to the first years? Do we not know anything in your view or what?

4th years have been there for 4 years and therefore, know the most out of anyone about the college. They also know what its like to be a 4th year vs being a first year. They can give a much more detailed answer to any question.

By your initial post, it appears that you have some attributes that the military looks for...physically fit, and ambitious. If your strenghts are channelled properly, I think you have a great chance, just keep your marks up.

Cheers,

Gnplummer :cdn:

4th years have been there for 4 years and therefore, know the most out of anyone about the college. They also know what its like to be a 4th year vs being a first year. They can give a much more detailed answer to any question.

Then again, first-years have very recent experinces with newer versions of IAP, FYOP and the recruiting process.

loyalist said:
Then again, first-years have very recent experinces with newer versions of IAP, FYOP and the recruiting process.

That is true, but when people go to the college for a tour they usually like to hear about life at RMC, not IAP or the recruiting process. Also, 4th years run FYOP so they know what it's all about. 4th years aren't in the "fog of war" like the first years are so they can give more information based on 4 years of experience.
Just my 2 cents...

Don't you think it would be equally important to talk to both groups?

Given that a relatively small number of fourth-years actually run FYOP and all first-years have gone through it recently, I'd like to think we definately have a contribution to make.

loyalist said:
That's an unfair statement. To do well in arts, it requires a lot of time and effort.

As I happen to agree having one BA under my belt, three credits short of another undergrad grad degree. Again a mixed double major science and arts and a Master of Arts commencing very soon. But here a qualification, it depends at least in my own perspective what the program is. A straightforward BA in basket weaving and navel contemplation is nowhere near the worth of of History and Geography double major or for that matter any other double major combination.

Yes, the engineers have a heavy daily course load combined with that dreaded four letter word "math". Try researching and writing five major papers, eleven precis, numerous readings, seminar prep and in just three weeks. All the while maintaining an a average. Or for that matter try marking sixity odd poorly written badly spelt papers in an evening. Once you have some experience it becomes second nature. The lack of experience is often observed in students who use short flipant answers to cover up their own inexpertise or lack of prior preperation and planning. Academic disciplines are as hard or as easy based upon the effort by the individual student. The same goes for your time in the Armed Forces.

Piper said:
The physics major asks: "How does this work?"

The engineering major asks: "How can I make this work better?"

The arts major asks: "You know if you two had done a little research you would not be reinventing the wheel"

(I'm taking a BA myself, I'm not sure about everyone else's schools, but what I find is the hardest here is trying to write my essays/exams from a leftist point of view so that my profs/TA's won't be biased when they mark them)

Welcome to the real world Piper. It pays to do research on your profs before you take their course. In your case to bone up on Marxist Leninist thought and vocabulary.

I haven't much experience, but I'm studying at RMC right now and it's pretty cool. Teachers are really good and you can really see weater your like the military life or not. We have to make do with academic, sport, billinguism and leadership all at the same time, which could be a little to much for some people. I agree when peolple say tha some Cadets are here for the wrong reason! There are also some cadets that should have joined as NCOs because they simply do not have the potential of an officer.

OCdt.Goulet said:
I haven't much experience, but I'm studying at RMC right now and it's pretty cool. Teachers are really good and you can really see weater your like the military life or not. We have to make do with academic, sport, billinguism and leadership all at the same time, which could be a little to much for some people. I agree when peolple say tha some Cadets are here for the wrong reason! There are also some cadets that should have joined as NCOs because they simply do not have the potential of an officer.

People don't "joined as NCOs".  They earn that status.  People either join as OCDTs (as you apparently did), or Ptes - some exceptions to these two routes exist.

Personnel who elect the officer route are not "superior" in any way except in legal authority.  I have met many decent Officers who would make poor NCOs, and many decent NCOs who would make poor Officers.  The vice is also versa - I have met many Officers who would make excellent NCOs, and many NCOs who would make excellent Officers.

I may be bristling unnecessarily here - but it appears to me that you are falling into the mindframe that somehow Officers are "better specimens" than Ptes and NCOs.  It ain't so, as you will learn throughout your career.

Good luck to you.

I think I've been interpreted wrong because I have a lot of respect regarding NCMs and I don't think officers are superior. In my point of view, NCMs and Officers are like two parallel world that have to work all together. I also realize that I have a lot to learn but I see that the image of RMC cadets isn't really in our favor... I've only been in the military for 7 months!

I probably made a mistake when I said some Cadet should have joined as NCMs, in fact they probably should not have joined at all! I'm really sorry if I seemed to be superior, it was not my goal at all.  I will always look up at the sargeant with 25 years of experience, whatever my rank.

According to your profile, you are an OCdt, just like me...
I don't see why you are judging me so hard!
Are you frustated because they didn't accept you at RMC or what?

I go to St. Jean with Goulet and I used to be an NCM before I got here. Believe me Piper I feel the same way you do. Right when you get here you can till whos got their head up their ass and who respects what their about to do. It also felt like a step down from my days as a Private. When I got back home for Christmas and saw all my old buddys still in as NCMs they were all in crazy good shape while I had gotten worse.

St. Jean is a pretty good place though and RMC is supposed to be better at least from what I've heard and seen. Its not all uniform and inspection, I've made a lot of good friends and have had a lot of good times here. I still have respect for the path your taking as while, my course officer was direct entry and he was as hard as nails. I've never met a better officer than him.

I'm just curious as to whether or not it is possible for one to transfer from a civilian college to RMC.

I applied in November, but I screwed up on my CFAT, so I'm planning on taking courses next year at Camosun College and working at 11-SVC BTL as a weapons tech.  I applied for Infantry/Armour/Log with either Military and Strategic Studies, or Business Admim.  What I'm wondering is if I can take the university entrance - business degree program (1-2 years) at Camosun and then transfer into 2nd or 3rd year business admin at RMC.

I have a feeling it might not be possible, what with FYOP and all, but I would much rather transfer, rather than taking up to 2 years before starting my degree from scratch.

Q-Ball, I'd advise getting in touch with the RMC liason officer about this. Email address is liaison@rmc.ca. Good luck to you.

Did you know that Royal Roads has a 2 year BComm course you can do? I think that'll look better on your application than Camosun. Something to think about at any rate.

As for the transferability of the courses, definately talk to RMC about it.

M :brickwall:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back