• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol... I've never been to see the fatty PT...lol...  ^-^ :D
Might have to go check that out one of these days.

I came across your post about your ambitions to go to RMC, and then join JTF2. You mentioned that you were considering some reserve service before you attend RMC, and then perhaps continuing on afterwards. While you were talking about this, I got the impression (perhaps accidentally) that you're actually from Kingston. If so,and you have a couple years to go before university, I would certainly reccommend joining the local reserve infantry regiment. I was a member of the PWOR for about a year and a half, and have just transferred to the Cameron Highlanders in Ottawa.

Now for a bit of advice. I'm not an expert on JTF2, but I've learned enough about the system to be abole to help you out.

Firstly, it's MUCH easier to get into the unit as an NCM rather than as an officer, which everyone at RMC is. If you're serious about JTF2, I'd suggest you join the reserves immediately to start preparing yourself for the military. After high school, ost secondary is definitely a good idea, however going officer may actually prevent you from getting into JTF, as their officer spots are undoubtedly limited. Civilian university would let you remain an NCM in the reserves, while giving you the education to go officer at a later date.

Stay a reservist through school, then in your alst year start to initiate a compnoent transfer to regforce infantry. Go regs, and serve at least two or three years as an NCM. At that point you'll finally be ready to go JTF. It's not just about the technical skills- developing the right military mindset will take you years.

Being in the reserves initially, and then ther egs will also let you decide if it's TRULY what you want. A lot of people join, then find after a few years that they've 'gotten it out of their system', and no longer feel that combat arms is right for them. Also, having served as an infanteer for several years reg and reserve will give you more credibility and merit when you apply, and then if you manage to get into the unit, you'll be more prepared. If you're lucky, you'll also have gotten a tour overseas in taht time, either reserve or reg.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful, and if you are in fact in Kingston, let me know which high school your'e at, and whether you have any questions about the reserves. I'd be glad to help you out, and we may have a few mutual acquaintances.

Regards,

Pte. Harding, CH of O

23007 said:
This might be a bit of an overstatement. look at all of the people on fatty pt...or the ones who barely make 250 on their pt tests. I wish there was an extremely high number of people in excellent physical condition, unfortunately there isn't.

Even given that fatty PT is bigger this year (from what I've heard), and it would be nice if we had less MIR commandos, the large majority of people pass the PT test. 250 might not seem impressive to us, but I'd like to see avg civi U Joe do that.

Scardee Cat said:
I am currently in grade 11 taking a College English and a University History. I have no problem with english just I don't like the whole poetry crap etc... I can write essays with ease and I score in the 90s for History. I love it and plan to take it if I'm accepted into RMC.

If you are planning to go to university at all with grade 11 C English, in Ontario, you are gonna be in for a huge surprise. Remember for any university, whether RMC or U of T, you need six M's or U's at the grade 12 level plus the compulsory courses like English 12 u. in order to take prep English 12 U you must take grade 11 U. Now here is where its gonna frig you up, to take grade 11 U you must have grade 10 U. you can switch without a transfer course between 9 applied, college bound kids, and 10 academic, the magnet students, but you can't do that with grade 11 C to 11 U. Reason, the differences between the two streams is so great. It's like comparing 12 College n' Tech math with 12 Discrete and Geometry, you simply can't. From what I remember of grade 11 U in the new system is that it focus on essay writing, developing your ability to write a proper thesis and proper mechanics of writing in general; transitional sentences and crap. Poetry was never a huge deal; in grade 10 U it is but not 11 U.

Anyways, is the history your taking at the moment grade 11 or 12? What you get in 11 doesn't matter, what you get in 12 does. Averages for admission is calculated from your 6 U's or M's.

What you need to do is transfer to a school that is semestered and take the courses needed in order to get those grade 12 Us'. If you do not do this then you might not graduate in 4 years. But if that isn't possible you can enter RMC as a junior student after high school and get enrolled in their prep school in order to play catch up. All I know is that if they believe in you enough, your military potential, they will allow you to become a junior student.

Now for your question to about RMC, from my understanding there is this prep school that you can attend to as a junior student

Anyways, all and all, you gotta talk to your guidance guys to figure out how you can get the credits needed to get to a university. RMC, when though there is a college in its name, is a university. If I understand the purpose of ROTP, at least one of the purposes of it, is that when you sign up for ROTP you understand that you will be university educated at the end.

Oh, one last thing, what program are you trying to enter? The Arts or sciences & engineering? Unless you are in 11 math university prep, the functions and relations one, I suggest you try the arts out, the requirements are way easier. Who needs inductive proofs in combat anyways?

Most of this info comes from the booklet they gave us at school, common sense about general requirements for general university programs and their CD. If any of you guys see anything wrong, please correct me so miss-information doesn't spread.
[Edit]
http://www.rmc.ca/admission/requirements/ugrad_coursereq_e.html <- check that site out.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but does anyone in this forum are from RMC who is working towards a CS degree? I have all my credits for a CS degree that is acceptable for almost every university I'm interested in, besides RMC. I have two maths but no senior sciences. I got my geometry and calculus... Do you think that they will be nice to me considering I have a nice n' high average and I also took the dreaded discrete course?
[Edit: it was spread over a year and a half. but you only need to back track in 3 courses: 10 english, 10 math and 10 scienece  and plus the CS and CE courses]
*ps: i was almost on the same ship, college bound half way through then decide i could do better. it took me a year of back tracking of courses,  in order to get where i am, a cs prep student.
[Edit: why did i waste space to write this, just talk to your guidance counselors about universties in general.]
Anyways, a bababooey to you all.

dante7sins said:
Now for your question to about RMC, from my understanding there is this prep school that you can attend to as a junior student

I entered under the junior program 5 years ago. I`m originally from Newfoundland and we had people from every province across Canada there with me. In total I believe we started with about 120-125 on prep year, finished with about 100 or a little less and the majority of the students were from Quebec due to their grade 11 educational system. It was a great experience but I don`t think it really prepared me for RMC. And looking back, if I didn`t go there then I would have already been to Moose Jaw for my next phase rather than getting hit by this huge backlog in the system.

Yeah I'm in college at the moment doing a program which would generally classify as a transfer year from college to Univ. I was wondering about RMC also, if I keep a 3.0 Average or higher in this year of General Arts and Science transfer crap, would they look at me?

:sniper:

I'm studying in university of waterloo and currently want to apply RMC. I would like to know more about this school before I come. Here is my following Q
1) is there any chinese in this school?
2) how hard is this school?
3) if i'm a second language student, do you think it will be a big problem to come to this school?

1) Yes, there are a handful that I have seen at Kingston. Here in Prep year in St. Jean sur Richelieu, Quebec, I am the only one. But the number of visible minorities should not really matter as everyone treats everyone the same regardless of ethnicity, religion, etc...Well...actually its a little hard when you're the ONLY ONE out of 100 people, but its not really too big a deal.
2) This depends very much on what is hard to you and how much effort you want to put in. Of course it will be hard meaning that it will be a challenge, both physically and mentally, but I find (atleast from my experiences here) that if you use common sense and put in effort, everything will be fine.
3) I am not entirely sure, but I think its as long as you are functional in one of the two official languages, English or French. I think you will probably have to past the part of the CFAT with the big hard words. Last year in Prep year, there was one Officer Cadet of asian descent. I was told he was not perfect at English but it was good enough to get him through prep year.

Unfortunately, I as a RMC cadet am judged not by my conduct, but by the school/base/training system that I am currently a member of.  We know of our reputation here at the school, and the general dislike of 'ring-knockers' within the NCM corps of the military.  And sadly, some of us do deserve the reputation of cocky and arrogant - however these cadets are a distinct minority within the system, a minority who serve to give us a sad name.  As a former reservist, I have been incredibly impressed by some of the training received at RMC versus that which all ROTP officers go through (RMC and Civi school OCDTs all go through IAP/BOTP, and despite the nickname my BOTP platoon got, "c**k" platoon, both courses were jokes were success, and effectiveness in the field, didn't matter).  In particular, FYOP at RMC is about as tough physically as you can get, with 4 to 6 hrs of PT a day, on top of 8 hrs of class.
In conclusion, I would highly recommend RMC to any prospective applicants, if they are open-minded and physically fit.

PS - GO MILSTUDS! ;)

I'm curious about the culture at RMC. Other than the military traditions and lifestyle...Do people have other things on their minds than just class and the military? Is it an anomoly to see some guys jamming with some jazz on a guitar during some free time? My main concern is that if I do happen to be admitted to the school that there won't be any room for non-army things like music, art...some of the finer things in life. I'd like to have the ability to learn more that what I would between the classroom walls and the field. Thanks.

Yes there is time for the finer things in life at RMC including: drinking at the mess, drinking downtown, drinking at mess dinners, drinking at monthly parties, as well as general drinking. Theres also the breakfast beer at the Toucan on sundays (one of my favourites when I was there).

But seriously if you`re not into drinking (I don`t know why you wouldn`t be) there are plenty of other things to occupy your "free" time. You can go to the gym which is quite impressive. There are also a number of bands that cadets have formed. There is also a talent show every year so if you have a particular talent, you can demonstrate it to the citizens of Kingston. You could join a varsity sports team or any one of the clubs offered at RMC. The culture at RMC is very unique and you`ll see that if you ever go there. But I must say, and this is extremely important for all who is considering RMC: IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. If you coast through it without getting involved, you will not have the best training. you must get involved to maximize the potential of the College.

s24062 said:
Unfortunately, I as a RMC cadet am judged not by my conduct, but by the school/base/training system that I am currently a member of.  We know of our reputation here at the school, and the general dislike of 'ring-knockers' within the NCM corps of the military.  And sadly, some of us do deserve the reputation of cocky and arrogant - however these cadets are a distinct minority within the system, a minority who serve to give us a sad name.  As a former reservist, I have been incredibly impressed by some of the training received at RMC versus that which all ROTP officers go through (RMC and Civi school OCDTs all go through IAP/BOTP, and despite the nickname my BOTP platoon got, "c**k" platoon, both courses were jokes were success, and effectiveness in the field, didn't matter).  In particular, FYOP at RMC is about as tough physically as you can get, with 4 to 6 hrs of PT a day, on top of 8 hrs of class.
In conclusion, I would highly recommend RMC to any prospective applicants, if they are open-minded and physically fit.

PS - GO MILSTUDS! ;)

Milstuds? pfft, look my face! You tink I bozo!?

Sorry, had to throw that in once I figured out who you were.

eu_chan said:
I'm studying in university of waterloo and currently want to apply RMC. I would like to know more about this school before I come. Here is my following Q
1) is there any chinese in this school?
2) how hard is this school?
3) if i'm a second language student, do you think it will be a big problem to come to this school?

Answers:
1) Yes, there are also Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, and a Phillipino, however, the staff gets their names mixed up
2) school is hard... for engineers
3) Shouldn't be, however you will be required to learn French and become functional in it

Does anyone know what happens with Incident Reports (IR's)?  Are they signed and treated as toilet paper, or do they stay in our folders for our future (post graduation.)

pi, they stay on your college file and I believe they may be wiped at the end of the year. It doesn't have anything to do with your real military file.

Well in all honesty, your chances are truly made by A) what province you come from, and B) how well you do on your interview. The first is because the representation at rmc is proportional to population the averages must be more competative in provinces which send less people too RMC. Secondly, the interview determinsif you will get accepted straight to RMC or go to prep or stay at home.

all the best

That's really great to know. Thanks! Does anyone by any chance know how many people from each province are accepted to RMC? I had no idea that was how it worked. If there are any recruiters out there could you maybe just ballpark it?

If I could know that will maybe put my mind at ease, or maybe scare me to death..whichever one it is, I'm eager to know.

Thanks again...

Contrary to what some people might tell you, applicants are selected nationally not by province. Applicants are selected by the score assigned to them after the interview and by their academic performance.  Secondly, your academic performance will determine whether you go to Prep Year not the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back