• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oldgateboatdriver said:
First things first: Blackadder, Horticulture, as your own post notes is B.Sc., and it is a real scientific degree. It is as close to an applied degree in biology as a B.Sc. in agricultural studies is.

Second, as regards fine arts degree: Aren't all Band officer required to have a degree in music? Let's face it, a degree in chemical engineering would not be of much use to them  ;).

I think some of them end up with Doctorates in Music as well; they are pretty ridiculously talented at music generally.

mick said:
From an RMC standpoint, RMC has never offered fine arts degrees.  The Faculty of Arts does continue to offer B.A. programs in Business Admin, History, English, French, Economics, Politics, Military Psychology and Leadership, and Strategic Studies.
With the exception of English and French, all of these topics are considered "social sciences" by some Canadian universities.  Maybe the rumoured "they" is trying to rebrand these topic in RMC.  If you can justify a new faculty, it comes with additional staff right?

Setting aside that tinfoil hat theory, I tend to be skeptical of rumours attributed to they and them.

My son is taking the ROTP program now. I plan to visit him.  Can I take the shuttle bus at Montreal-Trudeau Airport to the St-Jean Garrison?

Thanks

IaminCanada said:
My son is taking the ROTP program now. I plan to visit him.  Can I take the shuttle bus at Montreal-Trudeau Airport to the St-Jean Garrison?

You posted the same question here,

IaminCanada said:
Hello,

My son is taking the CFLRS program now. I want to visit him. I am wondering if I am allowed to take the shuttle bus at Montreal-Trudeau Airport to the destination.

Thanks

Hey guys,
I am currently 14 years old and am going into grade 9 this Fall.  I really want to become an Infantry Officer.  I am planning  to go to RMC once I graduate from high school and get my degree in military arts and science.  I know that RMC is hard to get into so I am wondering if you guys think I have what it takes to get in.  My marks last year were mostly mid 80s and I am going to try and improve throughout high school.  I play AA hockey and I am the goalie, I don't know how much that will help but I feel that it teaches work ethic, determination and discipline.  In two more years I am going to join the reserves and participate as a Junior volunteer firefighter at a local volunteer fire station.  Do you guys think I have a good chance or is there anything I should change or do instead please let me know.

Thanks for reading and have a great day,
Cameron

Hi Cameron,

It seems that you are on the right path to becoming an Infantry Officer. That said, ROTP (the training program to get you a subsidized education at RMC) is a very competitive program.

Focus on keeping your marks in the high 80's and 90's, and start volunteering and working for compensation as soon as possible. A good work and volunteer background is not something to overlook. As well, you should obviously stay away from the things that can lead someone astray in highschool (drugs, alcohol, the wrong friends).

Joining an Infantry Reserve unit would be helpful assuming you excelled in the ranks, however it will more than likely take you over a year to become a fully trained Private. So if you join immediately at the minimum eligible age, and you have a local Reserve unit that accepts you into their ranks immediately, you likely would not have very much time in as an Infantry Reservist prior to applying and potentially being accepted to RMC. So, this is something you should consider...the Reserves would be a great addition to your resume but it is not essential to get into the ROTP.

Also it is never a bad time to work on your fitness, so weekly running and an exercise program would be extremely beneficial for you. At the end of the day you will never know if you will get into the ROTP until you apply, so just focus on doing everything in your power to improve yourself and make yourself the most competitive candidate.

Welcome to Army.ca, Cameron.

I see that you just registered. We expect people to research, especially on this Site, prior to asking questions, as those question have likely been asked and answered many times before. There is a Search Function which can help with that, or you can just explore some of the existing threads of interest. During that exploration, you will find answers to other questions that have not even occurred to you yet, and a ton of other information.

Dangles' answer is about the best that you will get. You'll never really know, though, until you apply.

Work hard, and good luck.

Topic locked.

With the ROTP 2016-17 competition opening up on Tuesday, I figured this would be a good time to start a thread and get some discussion going.

Would anyone be able to enlighten me as to when it will be announced which trades are open to applicants this year?

For any prospective candidates, which trades will you be applying for?

Cheers

I was under the impression that they start accepting applications again for ROTP on September 1st?

Jay427 said:
I was under the impression that they start accepting applications again for ROTP on September 1st?

They will accept them at any time throughout the year.  The question left is "Will they be able to process them?"  Processing can't take place until RMC Admissions is ready to review them and only once the RMC Portal has been tested and ready to go.

Time will tell!

DAA said:
They will accept them at any time throughout the year.  The question left is "Will they be able to process them?"  Processing can't take place until RMC Admissions is ready to review them and only once the RMC Portal has been tested and ready to go.

Time will tell!

When I applied in Grade 12, I was given initial contact early on, but didn't really do much in the way of processing until the Winter term. Same thing when I reapplied in first year (Super long story, but if it's for an air force job that requires Aircrew selection, brush up on your math).

Keep your chin up if you don't hear anything for a bit!

I received a response from the VCFRC today asking me to send in my supporting docs to RMC (transcripts and academic questionnaire). I've been poking around the site for a while and have noticed that in previous years the academic questionnaire included an essay portion where the applicant explains why he or she would like to attend RMC. I have been able to find that particular questionnaire on Google, however it is not the form I was provided on the RMC portal. So my question is, just out of curiosity, can anyone shed some light on whether they have condensed the academic questionnaire, or if this is just an initial suitability check?

Thanks in advance.

betzj427 said:
I received a response from the VCFRC today asking me to send in my supporting docs to RMC (transcripts and academic questionnaire). I've been poking around the site for a while and have noticed that in previous years the academic questionnaire included an essay portion where the applicant explains why he or she would like to attend RMC. I have been able to find that particular questionnaire on Google, however it is not the form I was provided on the RMC portal. So my question is, just out of curiosity, can anyone shed some light on whether they have condensed the academic questionnaire, or if this is just an initial suitability check?

Thanks in advance.

I applied last year, couldn't get my FBI background check in time since I applied from the US. But to answer your question, yes. It appears the essay portion has been eliminated, or it may become necessary to complete later. We will have to see what they require for this year.

I uploaded mine on the 2nd of September, has anyone else received information back on if they'll process you after you sent in your academic information/ questionnaire?

betzj427 said:

Thanks in advance.

Interesting!  ??? Last year the RMCC Academic Admissions Questionnaire was a 4 page document. They asked about 1) Personal info, 2) Education, 3) Homework, Employment, Sports, Hobbies, Music, Volunteer and Leadership. 4) Long Question : Explain your interest in ROTP and a desire to pursue a career as in the CF

In any event, I would suggest that you prepare to answer these questions. If it doesn't come up in your questionnaire, these topics may be of interest in your interview.

I'm currently in gr. 12, and I filed my application on September 2nd. I got the email for ROTP a few days later along with a link to the academic questionnaire. I submitted it that night with my transcript, and after I got the confirmation email I haven't heard anything from them since. I listed my top three trades and 1) Pilot 2) ACSO 3) MPO. A bit about myself:

School:

Advanced Functions: 88 (did it last year)
Gr. 11 English: 94
Gr. 11 Physics: 93
Gr. 11 Chem: 92
French: 93

Overall Highschool avg: 92

Extra Curriculars:

Football
Rugby
Air Cadets
Student Council
Science Olympics
Part-time Job

Best of luck to all of you!

Oh, and I don't know about other trades, but I know there are 33 spots for ROTP Pilot this year.

Anyone had further contact besides confirmation of files being received? I'm guessing it wont be until later in Oct or early Nov, but you never know.

Jay427 said:
Anyone had further contact besides confirmation of files being received? I'm guessing it wont be until later in Oct or early Nov, but you never know.

I just received contact this morning. I'm at the Victoria detachment and sent in my verification just now.

I came from a high school in the US; so contact times may differ from applicant to applicant. You may get contact tomorrow or a month from now. It depends on when you applied as well I suppose.

Just saw this tweet

``The Regular Officer Training Plan application deadline for all occupations is January 31 for admission the following September. Starting in 2015, we are offering conditional Regular Officer Training Plan acceptances as early as September 15, 2015. Early Conditional Acceptance holds a full university scholarship position at a military college for the applicant.  Regular Officer Training Plan Applicants who have completed Step 3 of the applicant process (see Apply Now section), may be offered a conditional acceptance to a Regular Officer Training Program for the following September. The acceptance offer is conditional based on the applicant meeting academic requirements in their final year of high school and successfully completing Steps 4-7 of the Canadian Armed Forces Application Process.``

This should be interesting to see how this plays out.

For more information:

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96#tab2

and

https://twitter.com/ForcesJobs/status/649966053334904833

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back