• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year there is a new field of applicants with different resumes competing for a different number of slots based upon the current needs of the CF.  You seem to be hitting all the big things, only thing I would suggest is some kind of leadership experience.  Other than that keep working hard, keep improving your grades, continue volunteering.

And bilingualism is always an asset.

Well, if x=14 and y=watermelon then we are able to determine that x+y=nobody here can tell you what your chances are. Visit your local recruiting centre or file an application to find out.

Steve Tay said:
Low 60's in 11 chemistry.

Students must offer a minimum course mark of 70% for each of the required courses and have an overall average of 70% on the best 6 courses completed in grade 12.

If your chemistry mark remains a 60 in first semester next year, you can't even be considered for the engineering program.

http://www.rmc.ca/adm/apo-pao-eng.asp

PrairieThunder said:
Well, if x=14 and y=watermelon then we are able to determine that x+y=nobody here can tell you what your chances are. Visit your local recruiting centre or file an application to find out.

;D    :goodpost:

As I just went through the whole recruiting process for the ROTP program I know first hand how nerve wracking it can be but from what it sounds like you have all the bases covered.  Remember there are many steps to the application process and you need to do well at all of them.

Steve Tay said:
I am aware that there is a search function on this website, but I would be more than thankful for the people who comment.

Just aware, or have you used it?

If you have not used it, why not?

If you had used it, you would have saved PrairieThunder the time and effort of composing his most witty reply because you would have seen the same answer, albeit in more plain language, many times.

Normally, I'd berate you for expecting others to do work for you that you could and should have done for yourself, but I won't do that this time because I liked PrairieThunder's response so much.

It sounds like your strengths are in the Arts, your English mark for example. Why would you want to study engineering? In my experience only those people who are very strong in math and science make it in engineering. I know of high school students with 90's in math that struggle with engineering. I would re-think my career choice and play to my strengths.

I would wait until you complete your grade 12 math and science courses before ruling out engineering. I understand he will have to apply before he completes his grade 12 courses, but I still think he should see how the first semester goes.

I have my engineering degree in civil engineering (structural). I agree that engineering school is quite hard, but it doesn't mean you can't do it. Especially if you start working hard in your final year of school.

I think it's more important to determine if you're truly interested and have a passion for engineering (problem solving).

I don't understand why everyone here has to be so hard on young people...

You can PM me if you want to ask more specific questions.

Stiman: "...I don't understand why everyone here has to be so hard on young people..."

Personally speaking, I can definitely see how it appears that some users (I don't feel young people are targeted and more than any new user in general--it simply comes down to the types of questions being posed and how they're presented) get unnecessarily chastised for asking seemingly innocent questions. However, after reading several, several posts it becomes frustrating when more often than not the OP is looking for validation in an inappropriate venue and from strangers who can't possibly affirm their decision-making in any manner. In addition, it's also frustrating when quite often the same question has been asked and answered many times.

If a user chooses to post on an open forum they are subjecting themselves to varying responses. Some will be positive and encouraging, some not.  I think it's a good exercise in general for them (the poster) to learn how they respond to criticisms/ridicule towards their intentions from complete strangers. If they become upset by text alone, how are they going to handle being negatively critiqued in person?  (Which, by the way, kudos to the OP for being gracious and accepting of the responses he received thus far, regardless of whether or not he was pleased with their content).  Some users are more gentle and patient in their approach, while others are not. Either way, assistance/insight can always be gained, it's just a matter of learning how to accept the way it's offered.

Just my  :2c:

BeyondTheNow: I completely understand how it can get repetitive. My intention was to balance out the responses since most where a bit hard (in my opinion).

Good luck OP!

After two years of applying to ROTP, I received a call today from CFRC London with an offer.

Civi-U: uWindsor

Thanks to everyone who showed support. Good luck to all applicants.

Hey everyone! I'm doing a BSc in Nursing at McGill and applied for ROTP nursing officer.
I spoke to my recruiting center yesterday (Montreal)and was told that most of the offers that have gone out were primarily for RMC and that offers for civ u will continue to go out until mid June. At that point if we are not selected we should receive a letter explaining this. Good luck everyone!

Just got an offer this morning out of CFRC Ottawa for me to continue my degree at Carleton U and have my final year subsidized. Good luck to other people still waiting.

flatlander13 said:
Has anyone besides the previous nursing posts received offers for ROTP civi U for this fall?

I don't know if this is how you reply to a post (First time replying) but I got my offer today for civi-u to continue my studies at Queen's to become an artillery officer. Hope that helps!

Christo905 said:
I don't know if this is how you reply to a post (First time replying) but I got my offer today for civi-u to continue my studies at Queen's to become an artillery officer. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply and congratulations!! Good to know some civi U offers are going out. The waiting process is killing me; so hopefully I hear one way or another soon! Will update once that happens.

omidae said:
Does civi u rotp not count as pensionable years?

Yes it does. Your time starts the day you are sworn into the Forces.

jwtg said:
I guess my philosophy with RMC is that everything is there to make you a good officer - quality education, excellent fitness facilities, long-term second language training, and practical management/quasi-leadership experience day-in and day-out.  Most importantly, daily contact with officers/NCOs provide many good and bad examples of leadership and officership, which an astute O/NCdt will use to hone their own leadership skills.

This is all there at a Civy/U if people choose to get it. I would argue that it is even more readily available if the individual is paying their own way though. I learned much more that is relevant to being an officer from paying for school over 6 years and the associated jobs then I did at school.

That being said, I strongly believe that each stream produces both good and bad officers. The individual motivation, intelligence and aptitude is much more important then where they went to school.

flatlander13 said:
Thanks for the reply and congratulations!! Good to know some civi U offers are going out. The waiting process is killing me; so hopefully I hear one way or another soon! Will update once that happens.

I'm also waiting! I called my CFRC and my file manager said offers will continue over the next couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back