• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OCDT.Wannabe said:
Hey guys!
I just wanted to post an update for my application.
Background Info:
- High School Gr. 12 Student
- Applied for ROTP; trades MARS and LOG
- Applied for the Arts Program
- Applied early in September

So the whole application process went okay.
My military counselor said that my Aptitude Test was average and that I qualified for my trades.
He also said that if I was to be accepted into ROTP,
I would most likely go to St. Jean for the first year.
Also when I finished my interview, the counselor said that he found me eligible for ROTP,
and that I was an average applicant.
My medical was passed, my background check went smoothly, the telephone interviews were completed,
and I was merit listed the day the recruiting office came back from winter break.
Also I was told that selections will be made Late March 2013.
-------
I'm not sure if we are allowed to state how many spots are available for the trades since my counselor did state
that no information is allowed to leave the room (but I'm pretty sure he meant that for the questions).

Overall, I'll say that I'm not very competitive for ROTP and I have my options open, but the experience has been great.
I'll come back to say if I got in or not.
Ciao.
--
P.s I would love to answer PMs, but I apologize beforehand if I do not come around to answering them as I rarely come online anymore.

If you're an average applicant, your odds are difficult to calculate. If you're in the higher range of that average area, you may receive a last minute offer.
My recruiter said I was "competitive" but even that can't promise me a spot since there are such little spots. Our military funding is tiny.

Globemaster77 said:
If you're an average applicant, your odds are difficult to calculate.
Honestly, I realize my chances of getting in are very slim. So when my counselor went on for half an hour describing ROTP life to me,
and telling me how he would contact me if I was to get in, I was like WHY YOU PHUNKING WITH MA HEART!?
But anywho, it has been a great ride so far! If I was to get in I'd take it no doubt, but I'm not sure if there would be a next time if I don't get in.
Also I'm pretty sure I've read a couple of comments by people from the '11-'12 and '12-'13 ROTP threads that said they were told that they were competitive, however when the results came out, they weren't accepted.
However I'll pray in the end that you and me both get in.
Ciao
Ps. I think it would be good to keep your options open and have the possibility of not getting in set in your mind; it can ruin a lot of things if you don't get in.

OCDT.Wannabe said:
Honestly, I realize my chances of getting in are very slim. So when my counselor went on for half an hour describing ROTP life to me,
and telling me how he would contact me if I was to get in, I was like WHY YOU PHUNKING WITH MA HEART!?
But anywho, it has been a great ride so far! If I was to get in I'd take it no doubt, but I'm not sure if there would be a next time if I don't get in.
Also I'm pretty sure I've read a couple of comments by people from the '11-'12 and '12-'13 ROTP threads that said they were told that they were competitive, however when the results came out, they weren't accepted.
However I'll pray in the end that you and me both get in.
Ciao
Ps. I think it would be good to keep your options open and have the possibility of not getting in set in your mind; it can ruin a lot of things if you don't get in.

Yeah definitely. That would be amazing.

Well I went through my interview, medical and cfat in December. After my Cfat I was told I had scored high enough to qualify for my trade (nursing officer) however, in my interview I was told it was something I could improve on. He followed that comment with "anything less than perfect can be improved on" so it definitely left me feeling a little open ended on how well I actually did. After my interview I was told that I was considered competitive and, provided my medical files came back ok, I would be merit listed. So that all went pretty well I think.
There are not a lot of positions, though, as I was told and am sure you all know. So when I was asked if I had a backup plan my response was to go to school (which I have recently been accepted to, as nursing officers have to go to civi u) and keep applying until I am accepted. He seemed impressed that I was still going to go through with my career choice even if I were to not get accepted this year. He then said that if I am not accepted he can switch my application over to reserves and that if I do the reserves for a year and reapply next year my file will be more competitive.
I am currently waiting for Ottawa to get back with my medical files. But to anyone feeling down because the chances are slim, honestly the chances are slim for everyone simply because of the number of people applying compared to the spots available.
If this is really what you want to do though, I would suggest not letting that deter you. I think joining the reserves for a year is a great way to get your foot in the door and give you a taste of it while you wait to reapply
Well that's my  :2c: and a quick update in my application so far  :)
Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know how many people are studying at the RMC Kingston and CMR St-Jean.

If anyone knows it, just answer me!

Thank you!

For RMC Kingston, are you looking at undergrad only?  Full time only?  Depending on how you ask the question, the answer will vary significantly.

ouellette9 said:
I mean students that are actually full time studying. Sorry for this.

Again, by full-time students are you asking only about undergrads (ROTP) or are you including masters and doctoral students?

All undergraduate students in RMC are covered under the ROTP and must be apart of the Forces,
the graduate programs on the other hand do accept civilians.

While the undergraduate program at the Royal Military College is only open to those individuals looking for careers in the Canadian Armed Forces, the graduate program at RMC is open to both military personnel and civilians (non-military personal)
Retrieved from: http://www.rmc.ca/aca/me-gm/gs-es/index-eng.asp at 27/01/2013 10:27pm

Furthermore on the Wikipedia page for RMC it states that there are a total of 1,032 full time undergraduate students studying there.

Also, here are the total number of positions being offered at RMC for the 2013-2014 Academic Year.
(Remember that this is how many RMC is giving out, so if the required positions of trades is higher then those numbers, thats where civilian university offers come out)

Arts - 60 (+60 transfers from St. Jean)
(English, Business Administration, French Studies, History, Politics, Economics, and Military Psychology and Leadership).

Science - 70 (+60 transfers from St. Jean)
(Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, and Space Science).

Engineering - 70 (+60 transfers from St. Jean)
(Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Aeronautical Engineering).

So the total of 1st Year positions available at RMC Kingston and St. Jean are a total 380 spots. Remember the Forces may want more bodies to fill trades that number more then those spots.
Ciao.
------
Ps.
If you're wondering where I got this information from...
Arts http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_572098_892_0
Engineering http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_572098_914_0
Science http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_572098_913_0

So I applied for AEC and went through all the process which is the component transfer because I am actually in the reserv. The guy at the interview told me that I was very competitive. Next step is to pass my medical exam on febuary 20. I am a junior so I need the prep year at St-Jean. I hope I'll get the job and see few people there!

OCDT.Wannabe said:
All undergraduate students in RMC are covered under the ROTP and must be apart of the Forces,
the graduate programs on the other hand do accept civilians. Retrieved from: http://www.rmc.ca/aca/me-gm/gs-es/index-eng.asp at 27/01/2013 10:27pm
No.

There are a few OCdts taken each year under the RETP (Reserve Entry Training Plan) who are not part of the ROTP.  There is also Otter Squadron, composed of UTPNCM (University Training Plan for Non-Commissioned Members), although the latest news is that Otter sqn is being phased out.  Further, there are interest only students (frequently athletes and sometimes civilian as well) as well as local reservists who pursue undergraduate studies at RMC.

Just a friendly reminder to make sure your facts are indeed valid before propagating them. 

For the OP, if you're trying to get a sense of how many people are going to be joining RMC/CMR in any given year, then you need to bear in mind that the positions available very from year to year.  Only recruiters would have access to accurate info.

Alright.

The way RMC is being looked at in this context is as an actual University.

RMC produces "Officers well-educated". Which means they don't have set numbers like Civilian universities.

They will continue accepting people until they have filled all the positions they need to fill for that year.

Like Skeletor said, you can change from being a soldier to an officer. In my year there's someone who used to be a MCpl and is now studying to become an officer.

Also, regarding your question about RMC:
Ideally, yes, RMC graduates are promoted faster because the point of RMC is to build up officers well-educated. Going through a military school versus a civilian university is 'supposed' to give you an upper hand because that's exactly the point of the school being there in the first place.

Now, this isn't always the case and as such it's only a correlation and not a causation.
In the end, it all depends on the individual's drive to succeed.

Focus people.... the poster's original question was "how many people are studying at RMC..."

From my passing familiarity, usually no more than 20 or so are actually studying.  >:D

Kayghee said:
Like Skeletor said, you can change from being a soldier to an officer. In my year there's someone who used to be a MCpl and is now studying to become an officer.
UTPNCM Candidates.  There are many of these throughout the country, some at RMC (Otter Squadron) and some at civi universities.

Ideally, yes, RMC graduates are promoted faster because the point of RMC is to build up officers well-educated. Going through a military school versus a civilian university is 'supposed' to give you an upper hand because that's exactly the point of the school being there in the first place.
I have yet to see the document which states that RMC graduates are ideally promoted more quickly than their DEO/Civ U counterparts.  The advantages RMC provide are that there is a possibility that you will be better known throughout your branch, having had 4 years to meet other officers both in training and those already commissioned (through events like RMC MOC weekend, etc.) and that you may have the advantage of better training during your school time, having access to officers/NCMs every day of the year, as well as mandatory SLT, athletics (including a higher PT standard) and other things like that. 

These, however, have no weight on a PER unless they somehow improve your standing, such as having a bilingual profile because you learned French at RMC.  In that case, you would have a slight advantage come PER time because you are bilingual, not because you went to RMC.

There is no direction connection between RMC and quicker promotions; early promotions are often based on time in and courses completed, while senior promotions are theoretically based on merit (not interested in debating the quality of the current PER/promotion system) and not based on where you got your degree.
Now, this isn't always the case and as such it's only a correlation and not a causation.
I don't even accept that proposition that there is a correlation, unless you're willing to provide hard statistics, rather than your own assumptions or anecdotal evidence.
In the end, it all depends on the individual's drive to succeed.
Insofar as your drive increases your merit and your standing come PER time.  This is the only part of your post I don't take real issue with, and I'll point out that it has nothing to do with going to RMC vice Civ U.

As an aside...I am an OCdt at RMC and have access to many tools which can be used to improve my quality as an officer when I graduate from here.  There is more here that I can use to improve and succeed than there was when I was at Civ U before arriving here.  That is the only advantage I have over any Civ U students, other than potential networking.  In the end, a better OCdt at a Civ U is going to be a better officer than a lesser OCdt at RMC; if you put bad ingredients but use a great recipe, you're still going to get bad soup.

I'll also add that this sense of entitlement (to promotion, or in other cases respect, seniority, leadership, position, influence, etc.) is exactly what makes other members of the CF think poorly of ringknockers RMC grads.  I highly recommend you start thinking of yourself, Kayghee, as on a level playing field with those attending Civ U, or you're going to get a wake-up call when you find yourself coming up short come PER time.

Alex.Landry said:
Alright.

The way RMC is being looked at in this context is as an actual University.

RMC produces "Officers well-educated". Which means they don't have set numbers like Civilian universities.

They will continue accepting people until they have filled all the positions they need to fill for that year.
This looks like a contradiction. 

Wouldn't they determine that they've filled all their positions by comparing the number of offers/acceptances with the number of projected positions?  Wouldn't that number of available positions be a set number?

jwtg you are quite correct!

I misspoke when I said there is not a number of set positions.

What I meant to do is disprove the fact that there are set numbers for EACH DEGREE as many trade positions can be filled by different degrees.

And as for actually studying, Journeyman, that number is a quite optimistic one.

Kayghee said:

That flies in the face of the whole "meritocracy" (performance and potential on PERs) thing that is supposed to be at the centre of promotions. 

I'd go on a tangent/rant and suggest that something more like Sandhurst would be better, where it's purely an Officer school that one has to enter with a degree already to get the full life experience of a civilian student, but I digress.

Dimsum said:
I'd go on a tangent/rant and suggest that something more like Sandhurst would be better, where it's purely an Officer school that one has to enter with a degree already to get the full life experience of a civilian student, but I digress.

Heretic!  Burn him at the stake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back