• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Globemaster77 said:
If you are still curious, judging from your activities you are decent.
Your grades however will be your downfall. Keep up the activities and improve your grades a lot.
I'm talking above 80% at the least to stand a chance.
They look at your grades starting from grade 10~12, as they look for consistency.
When I dropped off my application, with a constant 86~88 average, along with activities such as:
Air Cadets
Glider pilot scholarship
national lifeguard service
First Aid/ CPR C-
over 200 hours of volunteer hours at a recognized humanitarian group
Martial arts
Cross country
2 school clubs (Model UN and Rotary Interact)
Duke of Ed silver
(there are a few more)

I was told that I was a very good candidate for ROTP.
I was contacted again in just a few days, and they scheduled all the interviews and testing for a single day.
Obviously get your marks up as high as possible, but to have at least a decent shot at it, improve your grades to the 80s range.
Keep up with your activities, add a few more if you can.

Other than that, good luck buddy.

Couldn't agree more with Golbemaster, when I initially applied for RMC, I had similar qualifications. However, my grade 11 average was around 65. Therefore, though my military career counsellor thought I was a pretty strong candidate for ROTP, I still was rejected due to my marks in grade 11.

Although your marks are not everything they look for, they do play a big part in your application

jasph said:
Aw man, I know :(... my study habits overall is just not good.

Part of a being a good leader is to know your weaknesses and address them accordingly. If possible, talk to your teachers and guidance counselors about improving your study habits. Now I just wish I listened to those tips when I was in high school. Good luck

Goodluck to you too Globemaster77... Cui man is it true that you were rejected because you had a bad mark in grade 11?? Cant change the past but future...

jasph said:
Goodluck to you too Globemaster77... Cui man is it true that you were rejected because you had a bad mark in grade 11?? Cant change the past but future...

Haha, yeah. I've been able to manage a constant low A average, which is a relief. These guys really like consistency, they don't want someone who will perform well only when they need to do well.
Shows work habits very well.

Cui said:
Couldn't agree more with Golbemaster, when I initially applied for RMC, I had similar qualifications. However, my grade 11 average was around 65. Therefore, though my military career counsellor thought I was a pretty strong candidate for ROTP, I still was rejected due to my marks in grade 11.

Although your marks are not everything they look for, they do play a big part in your application

and was that really the sole reason? Damn

yeah I guess that make sense man- but the 'transcript' that will be sent, only has my grade 12 marks and other CTS courses that I have taken are they still going to request- I guess imma have to talk to the recruiter again, boo :(... thanks for the info 

also I am hard-working person, it's just I never focus on my studies as much as I did in my extra-curricular activities. I was never quite sure what I was gonna do back then- but now ARMY it is :threat:

I didn't know what to do either. Nothing really interested me that much besides sports and history, but I really want to join the forces now (I'm in grade 12).
I'm kind of curious, why do you want to be in the army?

I guess it's a religious/ethical/personal reason... I mean, the things I get from joining the army (salary while in school, insurance, paid education etc...) also the discipline and organization I will earn from the training, and that I fight for the sake of peace and safety (knowing that Canada is one of the top ambassadors of the UN)... I'm generally speaking of-course, but basically in the end of the day the real question becomes "what have you done 'in-contribution" to humanity?" the legacy ...the army I find is an honourable choice of a career.

B. Dias, re-think your choices- like I have, so many times... know that after the 4 years' pay (if you are planing to apply for ROTP and get accepted) you'll have to serve for the amount of years stated in your 'contract'... though I am not in the army yet, I am aware that the kind of people the Forces needs' are those that are willing to give their 'life'... I don't mean to make you look ignorant here, but it really is a serious one of a kind way of life man- I emphatize you.

Well, Canada has an incredibly low number of UN troops contributed, so we used to be a good contributor.. now Canada is ranked in the 50's for UN troops...
And I have thought of my position for over a year, and I am willing to do what it takes. I'm not looking to be an officer, but might go for education, which would be a good idea, for sure.

And I'm not ignorant at all  :blotto: , I was curious, everyone has their reasons... some the same, some different.

I wish there was a like button in here like facebook.

I liked your reasons for wanting to join. Bravo.

RMC is very competitive. I mean the whole process to join is but moreso RMC or ROTP. I was told over 5000 applicants in one year.

Best of Luck to you. Keep at it.
Maintain the aim!

wouldn't it Run at least a few months after deadline to apply

January 15th is the deadline to apply for ROTP isn't it? and same as RMC or Civilian university?

so once you apply I think its 15 days Interview, 15 days CFAT , 15 days Medical

but for Pilot the medical last longer than normal ?

not sure anyone have the answer?

WOW. went through the whole discussion- took me half an hour.

Alright, I am PR (Permanent Resident) waiting for my citizenship; huge disadvantage, because I can't apply till I become a Citizen  :(. (in the process...)

enough about me. it seems like everyone is scared/weary/angry/etc-etc about the CFAT test/results that they are getting; not everyone but most people, maybe not most people but a couple or more applicants for sure... what I am saying is that, someone should steal/photocopy/take a picture of their CFAT test and share the pdf file in this forum- Just Kidding.

joking aside- RMC for me is not a regular school, it is a school where the priority is to train people to become responsible leaders of troops; that will be pledge into protecting the national interests of Canada and the safety of the Canadians (to an extent...)

'work hard and stay on it..." most people say "cause if you really want it, you'll get it."

...now you're all inspired. can someone tell me why they wanna join the forces? or why do you want to go to RMC?

or what makes you competitive? (four pillars: Academics, Athletics, Bilingualism and Leadership) k thanks :salute:

jasph said:
WOW. went through the whole discussion- took me half an hour.

Alright, I am PR (Permanent Resident) waiting for my citizenship; huge disadvantage, because I can't apply till I become a Citizen  :(. (in the process...)

enough about me. it seems like everyone is scared/weary/angry/etc-etc about the CFAT test/results that they are getting; not everyone but most people, maybe not most people but a couple or more applicants for sure... what I am saying is that, someone should steal/photocopy/take a picture of their CFAT test and share the pdf file in this forum- Just Kidding.

joking aside- RMC for me is not a regular school, it is a school where the priority is to train people to become responsible leaders of troops; that will be pledge into protecting the national interests of Canada and the safety of the Canadians (to an extent...)

'work hard and stay on it..." most people say "cause if you really want it, you'll get it."

...now you're all inspired. can someone tell me why they wanna join the forces? or why do you want to go to RMC?

or what makes you competitive? (four pillars: Academics, Athletics, Bilingualism and Leadership) k thanks :salute:

You're the one that want to get in, so I think that you should maybe ask yourself why you want to join.

In my experience, it's better to find motivation because you want to do something for your own reasons, instead of convincing yourself that the reason that someone else gives applies to you as well.

Sit down for a few hours with a piece of paper, and jot down the answers to these questions:

What do I want to achieve?
When do I want to achieve it by?
Where will I find the help that I need?
Why do I want to do this?
Who will help me achieve it?
How will I go about doing this?

As well, set long term and short term goals for yourself, like improving your mark on that next quiz, to pumping out more pushups for short term goals; to reading more and becoming a more articulate person in general over the long term.

Finally, while RMC is a great school, it's not the be all end all. If that is your dream school, you should do your best to achieve admission into RMC, and do your best when you get there. However, it is worth it to consider other options in life, and look into making connections in the civilian world as well. Since we would all like to have a good long 30 year career in the CF, things may not always work out. It's best to keep those things in mind as well.

In conclusion, work hard, set goals, and good luck with your journey into the Canadian Forces.

thanks for that Cui but I already know that, really good point "...look into making connections in the civilian world as well." I took note. thank you!

im just wondering why other people want to be in the forces... anybody else? why the army?

Hi, for someone looking into an arts degree at Kingston, is it entirely necessary to have Math 30-1 or Pure Math? Or is it acceptable to have 30-2 or Applied math?

The degree i'm looking into is the Military Psychology and Leadership or Military and Strategic Studies.

The reason I ask is because I am doing horrible in 30-1 and am attending 30-2 next semester.

I am assuming you either live in Alberta, Nunavut or the Northwest Territories based on the fact that the 30-2 and 30-1 programs that you have stated are for those specific province or territories. In that case search up academic prerequisites by province and you will find that for an Arts Degree you need English 30-1 and either Math 30-1 or Math 30-2.
Arts
English 30-1
Mathematics 30-2; or
Mathematics 30-1

Science
English 30-1
Mathematics 30-1,
And any two of the following: Mathematics 30-2, Chemistry 30, Physics 30, Biology 30

Engineering
English 30-1
Mathematics 30-1
Chemistry 30
Physics 30

As for taking Math 30-2 next semester it would be solely based on what your average for Math 30-1 is. As you need a 70% minimum average for these required courses. Therefore for me I had a 67 in Advanced Math 11 and needed to take Advanced Math 12 in order to qualify which I ended up getting an 81 making me eligible. My advice would be that if you believe that your average may go down even further if you were to take Math 30-2 and you end up with a 70% in Math 30-1 then do not take that course. On the other hand if your like me and have less than a 70% then you have no choice.

Clearly an old thread, but hopefully someone here might be able to answer a question I've had for quite some time now.

When I submitted my application for ROTP, my secondary school transcripts included all of my marks from grade nine to eleven. I was wondering if those reading and evaluating my application will contact my school for my updated grade twelve (first semester) marks, or will they simply calculate an average from what I have already provided them and not put my current semester marks into account.

Thanks a lot for any help!  :)

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back