• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cui said:
Just our of curiousity, any second/third time applicants on here?

Present !

Like I said at the first page, I got an offer for Pilot in April but I turned down the offers for familiy reason. Now all is clear so reapplying !!

Hey all,

Put in my papers a few days ago.

1.) MARS
2.) Infantry
3.) Artillery

Obviously, after a few days I haven't heard anything back (it's also the weekend). Here's hopping!

This is my first time posting so forgive me if I am not up to par with the standards on this forum. I am currently a student at the University of Western Ontario studying Business with a specialization in Finance. I have decided that I want to transfer to RMC and I am currently finishing the first half of my 2nd year in my post-secondary studies. In high school I had a 94% average, and I was the captain of our schools swim team. First year of university I achieved an 81% average and during the second year I am at about a 75% because my parents have recently gotten separated and it has taken quite a toll on my concentration. I am hoping to join the pilot field and I was wondering if I can even transfer from my University to RMC at the moment. I am not too worried about the compensation of my already completed education and wouldn't mind giving that up if that means I can attend RMC rather than continue my education at Western through ROTP. As well, I was wondering if I could not get accepted as a pilot, can I join RMC under another trade and persistently reapply in the years to follow? Again, sorry if I am off the regular format for this forum and any advice would be appreciated. I am also part of the Western Varsity Fencing Team and Vice President of Marketing for a club with around 80 members. And I will be applying within the next few days, all I have to do is send in my documents now

I'm hoping to go to RMCSJ next year but i am missing some of the prerequisites for the Social Sciences program. I was wondering if it would be possible to make up the missing math course while at attendance at RMC or if i would have to complete it before i apply?

First off, I'm sorry for the hardship you're facing at the moment - keep your chin up!

Unfortunately, I don't think you can actually attend RMC because you're already second-year, but you can apply for ROTP and stay at Western. You appear to have your grades and volunteering/leadership in order, which is good. Also, despite your current circumstance, you're still maintaining de by grades, which shows leadership and control of your life.

Good luck! PM if you want, I'm always down to conversate.

Arezaie,

First off, Go Stangs Go! (Class of '04)

To answer your questions:

1.  It's not impossible to transfer to RMC, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have to retake some courses (or even the whole two years).  Transferring between different universities is hard enough as is. 

2.  As others have said before, do not fall for the "I'll apply under trade x and ask to transfer to trade y later" gimmick.  Trade X may not let you leave if they're understrength, trade Y may not let you get in if they're overstrength, and Trade X may not let you leave if you haven't done the training, in which case then it may not let you leave since you're trained anyway.  Better to apply for your chosen trade in the beginning.

I may be reading this wrong, but are you on ROTP at UWO already?  If so, why bother switching to RMC?  If not, since you're already at UWO and halfway done your degree anyway, finish it and apply for Direct Entry Officer in 2 years or apply for ROTP Civilian University and request to stay at UWO for your remaining two years.  If they deny it and send you to RMC anyway, it doesn't seem like you'd be unhappy with it.

The only reason I want to go to RMC is I've heard that for the pilot trade, they take first pick from RMC and then go to Civi Universities and DEO. I'm not sure if this is just a rumor or not, but that is the only thing that is worrying me; I don't want to be at a disadvantage.

FutureSailor said:
Unfortunately, I don't think you can actually attend RMC because you're already second-year, but you can apply for ROTP and stay at Western.

Just to clarify 2 things that FutureSailor Said:

1: ROTP covers RMC, not just Civi U. OCdt's attending RMC are attending RMC through ROTP as well as students like me, at Civi U.

2: You can apply for RMC even as a second year at a Civi U. In all reality, RMC doesn't often count transfer credits. I don't know what the requirements are for them to accept transfer credits but I don't know many instances of them taking transfer credits. You can apply in any year but it's at the risk of becoming a first year (academically). Either way, you'll have to do FYOP.

Any questions or anything I can do to help, PM me. Cheers!

arezaie:  Just pulling all your responses here - you don't need to post multiple identical posts on different threads to get your answers.

Milnet.ca Staff

arezaie - I'm a 3rd year student at Western on first year of subsidy (applied last November, accepted in April) for ROTP pilot. PM me if you want to grab a coffee on campus some time and we can shoot through some recruiting questions you have  :camo:

arezaie said:
The only reason I want to go to RMC is I've heard that for the pilot trade, they take first pick from RMC and then go to Civi Universities and DEO. I'm not sure if this is just a rumor or not, but that is the only thing that is worrying me; I don't want to be at a disadvantage.

To my knowledge:

There are pros and cons to each entry plan. I'm not sure if you've considered this. Did you just wake up and decide you wanted to be a pilot? Keep in mind that being selected is just one step in a multitude of steps. In the event you are successful at western under ROTP, you will be obligated to serve time regardless if you like it or not. Maybe the pilot trade isn't for you? DEO applicants however do not have this bond until they secure their wings. They also have a student debt, unless of course you were fortunate enough to have someone fund it. Do you have previous flight experience? Not that this makes a big difference, you will hear a variety of opinions there. But I wouldn't be too worried to be absolutely honest.

My current high school average is 77.5% for Grade 9-11.
Right now I'm taking Math, History, History and Geography with 68.5 the average>
I'm probably going to drop Gr 12 Math, because I'm going into arts and was told it isn't needed (I suck at Math)

I'm in Cadets so I have leadership, I'm fit (Excellence Fitness Badge) and 150 community hours.

How good of a chance do I have of getting into RMC..? :/

Do really well in school.

Find yourself as many leadership and teamwork opportunities as possible.

Stay away from drugs or legal trouble.

Learn everything you can about the trades you are interested in.

Work really hard on everything you write/turn in as part of your application.

Practice interview techniques, and get as familiar as you can with the CF interview.  Somewhere on the internet there is a pretty good preparation guide.  If I happen to see it, I'll post a link.

Other than that, your post says pretty much "I'm really good at x and y, not sure how to improve z, what are my chances of getting in and how do I make them better?"  If you take some time to look around, you'll find that your post is nearly identical to 42523956495813115 other ones on this site where people are trying to get a feel for their odds of success in the selection process.
Nobody here can tell you what the odds are without having access to every bit of information regarding every applicant for ROTP this year.  You'll be given a numerical score based on the quality of your application package, which includes tests/interviews/etc., and if that score is higher, your odds are better.  If everyone else's scores are higher than yours, then your odds are pretty bad.

It's all relative.  The spots go to the top scorers.

Good luck.

The above quote is from a post I made about 2 weeks ago when someone posted a similar question.  In fact, every couple days, someone new comes on here and asks how good their chances are of getting into RMC.

The simple truth is nobody here can tell you.  It is entirely based on how  your score at the end of the application process compares to the scores of all the other applicants.  One year, I was told my 80.0 high school average was low compared to other applicants, but my application was strong enough in other areas that I got an offer.  Long story short, I applied again later and got another offer, and this time I was told that I was extremely competitive.  I had done very little to upgrade my academics, and the file manager who told me how competitive I was was the exact same person.

I wish there was a rule that coming here and asking about one's chances at RMC was forbidden without first reading the 1948593845745 other posts where people do the exact same thing.  Read their posts, by using the search function, or browsing, and read their brag sheets.  See how you stack up.

Math is more important than arts.  Fight tooth and nail to pass your grade 12 math dude.

Now I'm not an officer, but did apply to RMC well before you were even a thought in your parents' minds...but math was pretty important, since unless things have changed since I worked there, everyone needs to do some math courses in first or second year, regardless of program.  Based on your grades and the fact my kid that was on the honour roll 3 years running didn't get in, I'd rate your odds of getting into RMC at the moment at about -15% +/- 10%.

Of course that was pure speculation on my part of having gone through the process, having worked there and having a kid try to go through the process too.

MM

SMG I said:
I'm probably going to drop Gr 12 Math, because I'm going into arts and was told it isn't needed (I suck at Math)

Whoever told you this gave you some very bad advice. I found math to be particularly hard in High School. I took Grade 11 math three times in order to get enough of it in my brain to be successful in Grade 12. I took, and failed, 2 different OAC (grade 13) math courses. Part of this was motivation at the time. Later, in College I took several math courses where I was very successful.

My undergrad was in History and my graduate work is in a humanities field. I can honestly tell you that the number one thing that I wish I had paid more attention to in high school was math. No matter what you end up doing in life, RMC leading to the military, Civy U leading to the military or doing something in the civilian world, a strong knowledge of math will serve you well.

Do yourself a favor, get a tutor and get through it. You will thank yourself later.

Oh, and to anyone that reads this and wonders if they should be worried that an artillery officer sucked at math, don't worry I more then made up for it in college! :)

I'll rejoin this thread for the sake of the math conversation, and because I can add some personal experience here.

Gr. 12 math is not required to get into RMC for an arts program, or at least it wasn't as of two years ago, when I did it.  That being said, you will be required to complete 2 or 3 math courses at RMC even if you're studying in the arts.  Two of the courses are mandatory (Calculus and Probability/Discrete) as well as another course being required by those who lack sufficient exposure to Gr. 12 level math.  This third course is sort of a high-school equivalency/pre-calculus course and all of the arts students write a challenge exam when they arrive at RMC.  Score high enough and you bypass Math 103.  Don't score high enough, and you're taking all 3 courses.

So, you can drop the math now, and do it at RMC anyways, or you can keep plowing through and finish it up now.  You need to evaluate the effect it will have on your average and therefore your application strength.  My guess, though, is that if you have a hard time doing high school math in high school, you'll have a hard time doing high school + university math at RMC, so it's in your best interest to get tutoring or extra help and improve your math ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back