• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats jparkin and amcanucks! nice to hear you guys made it out of Vancouver.

Also congrats to everyone else who got the early call.

LOLslamball said:
Congrats jparkin and amcanucks! nice to hear you guys made it out of Vancouver.

Also congrats to everyone else who got the early call.

Haha I didn't get an offer yet slamball! Just said I hope that more offers keep coming out of Vancouver  ;D

Jakinder said:
Hey guys!

Firstly, congrats on all the offers! I hope you'll fulfill your roles in the Canadian Forces well.

Secondly, I'll be joining you all in September! I've been accepted as a MARS Officer for RMC Kingston to study in a bachelor's of science for 4 years. I got my call from CFRC Montreal today in the middle of math class. I had difficulty paying attention for the rest of the class seeing as I had this big, stupid grin on my face.

Good luck to anyone who is still waiting! There's still A LOT more to be sent out. When exams are over I'll be training far more than now. ;D

Congrats!

matthew1786 said:
Since we are discussing exam schedules:

April 17th: Properties of Materials in Electrical Engineering
April 20th: Introduction to Electronics
April 26th: Electromagnetic Fields

Not looking forward to it... at all!  >:D

One more to go Matthew1786! Are you looking forward to being done the year? I always like the feeling of walking away after finishing the last exam!

JPye said:
One more to go Matthew1786! Are you looking forward to being done the year? I always like the feeling of walking away after finishing the last exam!

Oh yes. One more indeed, and the hardest to boot! The material is so complex that the prof is allowing us to bring 2x hand written crib sheets into the final. God bless her soul.  :D
I am more than looking forward to finishing this school year, however that feeling is nothing compared to how I am looking forward to receiving an offer. Jakinder received his offer out of Montreal yesterday, now I will be on edge all weekend.  ;D Most of my class mates will walk away from the exam and enter the nearest bar, unfortunately I will be walking directly in to work. lol

matthew1786 said:
Oh yes. One more indeed, and the hardest to boot! The material is so complex that the prof is allowing us to bring 2x hand written crib sheets into the final. God bless her soul.  :D
I am more than looking forward to finishing this school year, however that feeling is nothing compared to how I am looking forward to receiving an offer. Jakinder received his offer out of Montreal yesterday, now I will be on edge all weekend.  ;D Most of my class mates will walk away from the exam and enter the nearest bar, unfortunately I will be walking directly in to work. lol
The last exam for most first year UBC engineers was this morning. Most people didn't even wait until they got to the bar, they just started shot-gunning beers as soon as they got out of the exam room.

I have my last exam today too!  ;D Though I have to pack up my dorm room and get ready to move back home tomorrow morning.

Oh well, Monday will be a new week! Hope more offers come out  for everyone  :salute:

I wonder how much money you make a month when in university (after taxes are taken out)?

Cui said:
I have my last exam today too!  ;D Though I have to pack up my dorm room and get ready to move back home tomorrow morning.

Oh well, Monday will be a new week! Hope more offers come out  for everyone  :salute:

Good luck with the exam and the move!

Matthew1786, That blows (whipping out the best of my vernacular with that statement lol). Hopefully you get some time to unwind soon! I was able to sneak away from Borden for 2 days to relax with a friend, helped clear my head after all of the exam jitters. I have my fingers crossed for you! Hoping your news comes in soon!

matt1994 said:
I wonder how much money you make a month when in university (after taxes are taken out)?

The pay scale says a first year OCdt makes $1487 a month, assume that income tax is 30%, you will be taking home about $1040.9 a month. Which is not bad as a single student with no family to support, and no debts.

I know that I will be paying $585 a month for rent starting this fall, so if I do get accepted, then it is more than adequate for me to maintain a comfortable lifestyle and have some money saved up for the future, since I really don't require a lot of material goods.

Cui said:
The pay scale says a first year OCdt makes $1487 a month, assume that income is 30%, you will be taking home about $1040.9 a month. Which is not bad as a single student with no family to support, and no debts.

That isn't bad at all, I was think somewhere around there too, not sure how much they take out. ROTP is such a great opportunity, free tuition, benefits, salary, and guaranteed job, can't really go wrong!

Just have to get accepted!

CDN Aviator said:
Don't forget CPP/QPP, EI, military pension contribution, etc...

Yes, that too, it's been a while since I looked at a pay stub.

Thanks

Cui said:
The pay scale says a first year OCdt makes $1487 a month, assume that income tax is 30%, you will be taking home about $1040.9 a month. Which is not bad as a single student with no family to support, and no debts.

I know that I will be paying $585 a month for rent starting this fall, so if I do get accepted, then it is more than adequate for me to maintain a comfortable lifestyle and have some money saved up for the future, since I really don't require a lot of material goods.

Income tax should be less than 30%. 30% is standard when above the poverty line of $20,000/year, which an ROTP Ocdt is not. Below 20k and the average income tax amount is closer to 10%. There of course will be other deductions but I would estimate a take home of about $1200-$1250 depending on which province you live in.

amcanucks1 said:
Just received a call recently and was told that I have been selected for my first choice, Pilot. The wait has been long but worth it at the end. For all of you still waiting be patient. The call will come.

And for anyone wondering, I am out of CFRC Vancouver. Today is their first day for calling applicants with an offer (I am assuming because I called yesterday and they said that they had not called anyone yet).

Good luck to all!

You lucky bugger. Congrats! Just out of interest, as I hear different numbers from different people.. What was your highschool or university (whichever your previous schooling was) average? I heard pilot is out of this world competitive.

New approach to this waiting game, I am not going to check this site until I find out whether I get in or not!

Let's give it a shot! Going to be tough!

(Starting after tonight!)

KY-Ottawa said:
Income tax should be less than 30%. 30% is standard when above the poverty line of $20,000/year, which an ROTP Ocdt is not. Below 20k and the average income tax amount is closer to 10%. There of course will be other deductions but I would estimate a take home of about $1200-$1250 depending on which province you live in.
Buddy of mine, 1st yr ROTP Civ U was taking home just under $600/pay (so approx. $1200/month) after taxes/deductions, in Ontario.

matt1994 said:
New approach to this waiting game, I am not going to check this site until I find out whether I get in or not!

Let's give it a shot! Going to be tough!

(Starting after tonight!)

Good luck man! I've followed this thread for several months now so I know how much you want it. Fingers crossed you get the call Monday or Tuesday. I'll send positive thoughts your way. :salute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back