• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I was told that my ACSO test would be written in the new year. Good luck with your applications folks.
Jonathan

Hey guys,

I'm a first year at UBC, applying for InfO. Went through the cycle last year, got dinged.

Good luck everyone!

Alexander

Hi, I am 15 and I want to go into ROTP, however I do not know whether I will get in on the track I am on now. Could you please tell me if my qualifications are what is being looked for.
Academics: In grade 9 I had a mid 80 average, as well as in the first semester so far in grade 10. I want to get my masters of business administration. I am also taking all academic courses.
Sports: I have been a goalie in hockey dor around 8 years and am going to continue, was part of the cross country team this year, going to be on the track team, and possibly school junior hockey team. I am also going to try out for the golf team next year.
Other: I will have my NLS soon after I turn 16 (lifeguard qualification), I did all 40 mandatory hours teaching swimming, in the business club at school, and in the summer work by teaching kids sports.
I want to be an infantry officer, so I am trying to build upper body strength.
Am I what you are looking for? If not what can I improve? Thanks.

akilpatrick said:
Hey guys,

I'm a first year at UBC, applying for InfO. Went through the cycle last year, got dinged.

Good luck everyone!

Alexander

Hey alex its Jonathan. Haha wierd running into your floormate on here...

coolcat182 said:
Hi, I am 15 and I want to go into ROTP, however I do not know whether I will get in on the track I am on now. Could you please tell me if my qualifications are what is being looked for.
Academics: In grade 9 I had a mid 80 average, as well as in the first semester so far in grade 10. I want to get my masters of business administration. I am also taking all academic courses.
Sports: I have been a goalie in hockey dor around 8 years and am going to continue, was part of the cross country team this year, going to be on the track team, and possibly school junior hockey team. I am also going to try out for the golf team next year.
Other: I will have my NLS soon after I turn 16 (lifeguard qualification), I did all 40 mandatory hours teaching swimming, in the business club at school, and in the summer work by teaching kids sports.
I want to be an infantry officer, so I am trying to build upper body strength.
Am I what you are looking for? If not what can I improve? Thanks.

To answer your question. You must finish your High school first. get good marks, and be able to present yourself when time comes for your interview. From what I have seen here, there are 4 types of people who get in the RMC-CMR. first type is people with cadet experience, 2nd is Kids with military in the family, such as father or mother or uncle are holding high positions, third are the ones who are smart and athletic, and fourth are the ones who have held leadership positions and have experience. The Goal in RMC or CMR is education. physical fitness can be a challenge but with help from PSP staff and your own dedication you will achieve your goals of physical discipline.

Recruiting Center: CFRC St. John`s
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (ROTP)
Trade Choice 1: MARS Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: November 23rd, 2011
First Contact:November 23rd, 2011
Aptitude: January 10th, 2012 (Scheduled)
Medical: January 10th, 2012
Interview completed: January 10th, 2012
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

I cannot wait for January!!!!!!!  ;D

Hello,
I'm a 16 year old male in g.11 and am wondering what my chances are of being accepted into RMC for either a B.Sc. preferably engineering or for a 1 year general science degree before going to a different for a pharmaceutical degree.

I've had an 80% avg for the past 2 years. 
My marks are G.9 (GEOG OF CDA 81, FRENCH 75, RELIGIOUS ED 80, SCIENCE 83, MUSIC-band 96, ENGLISH 80, MATH 92, Gym 89)
G.10 (MUSIC 95, History 81, RELIGOUS ED 75, MATH 83, ENGLISH 69, FRENCH 68, CAREERS 78, SCIENCE 84)
and this summer I had a paid Co-op position at a pharmacy working as a "student pharmacist" but really a pharmacy assistant, I received an 85 in that.
G.11 before mid terms I suffered a severe concussion but my marks are (Math 76, Music-vocals 84, Chem 81, English 80)

As far as extracurricular go I've participated in
Cadets (air) sgt, two years teaching, sports NCO, and SWO parade position. I left to join reserves but unfortunately to my understanding they raised the age to 17.
Member, Co-ed Cheerleading Team,  (2010 – 2011), 2011 National Grand champions
Captain Junior Football Team, (2009 – 2010), 2009 city title
Symphonic Band (2009 – 2011)
Captain, Junior Rugby Team 2010-2011, 2009 city title
Junior Rep Football this summer

I currently am participating in
School environmental club 2009- present
All-Star (rep) Cheerleading 2011- present
Senior Football Team, (2011 – present)
Vocals, (2011-present)
Coaching All-Star Cheerleading
volunteering weekly

Awards
Cheerleading Rookie of the year award, (2011)
Junior Athletic Leadership award, (2011)
Junior Football Coach’s award, (2011)
Junior Rugby Coach’s award, (2011)
Gr. 9 Genesis Music award nomination (2010)
Top Junior NCO in Squadron, (2009, 2010)
Top cdt basic training, Trenton (2008)

TRAINING
WHMIS (2011)
MSD Prevention (2011)
St. John’s Standard First Aid (2010)
Canadian Yachting Association, Bronze IV Sailing certificate (2009)
Red Cross Lifesaving Society, Bronze Star – swimming (2007)

and after this summer I will be joining the reserves.

I've talked to recruiters and officers who have worked at RMC they told me they look for someone who has 20 hours of extracurricular. as well as an 85% avg ish.

The problem for me is not demonstrating leadership or extracurricular activities but the marks, I've had and 80% avg for years and most likely will continue to.

my parents don't think I'm likely to get accepted, am I?

or should I get a tutor?

and sorry for the novel ^^^ I wrote

Hey does any one know when the application deadline for ROTP is? or has it already passed?! :(

I filled out all the forms and went to hand them in at the recruitment centre but they told me they changed there application process and that ill have to do it online. But i couldnt find any link for that. The only link i found was on forces.ca but i think that was for the regular army. Or is that the same as ROTP program? :S im so confused.

Could someone direct me in the right direction please! Thanks in advance!  :salute:

Back Ground:
Im in 2nd year at Ryerson University. studying Mechanical Engineering.
I was interested in applying for Construction Officer 

[quote author=homj]
my parents don't think I'm likely to get accepted, am I?
[/quote]

Don't worry about what your parents say.
Apply as soon as possible.
The worst thing that will happen is you won't be accepted this year. You can then apply next year and you'll be even better prepared.

According to this resource, the deadline is January 15. http://www.rmc.ca/adm/rotp-pfor-eng.asp

To apply online, visit this link: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

Advice:

Practice your basic verbal, math, and spatial skills. You'll need it on the CFAT.
Start working on your physical fitness.
Study, study, and study some more about your trade: http://www.forces.ca/en/job/constructionengineeringofficer-42

old guy87 said:
To answer your question. You must finish your High school first. get good marks, and be able to present yourself when time comes for your interview. From what I have seen here, there are 4 types of people who get in the RMC-CMR. first type is people with cadet experience, 2nd is Kids with military in the family, such as father or mother or uncle are holding high positions, third are the ones who are smart and athletic, and fourth are the ones who have held leadership positions and have experience. The Goal in RMC or CMR is education. physical fitness can be a challenge but with help from PSP staff and your own dedication you will achieve your goals of physical discipline.

Thanks for all the info. Although I do not have cadet experience or have anyone in my family that has served in the military I will work hard for those academics and to achieve a high level of fitness. :)

Unsuccessful with my ACSO test today  :( but I now have the option of selecting a different occupation.

Trade Choice 1: Pilot
Trade Choice 2: ACSO (Failed Test)
Trade Choice 3: MARS
Application Date: October 28
First Contact: Early November
Aptitude: November 15
Medical: November 30
Interview completed: November 30
ACSO Test: December 16 (Failed)
Aircrew selection:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

scriptox said:
According to this resource, the deadline is January 15. http://www.rmc.ca/adm/rotp-pfor-eng.asp

To apply online, visit this link: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

Advice:

Practice your basic verbal, math, and spatial skills. You'll need it on the CFAT.
Start working on your physical fitness.
Study, study, and study some more about your trade: http://www.forces.ca/en/job/constructionengineeringofficer-42

Thanks allot! i shall apply today! :)

ps: do you know what is the average GPA they normally accept?

Not sure exactly on what their GPA is, but on their FAQ section of the RMC Interactive Module, they state that most of the successful applicants have an average of 80 or above. Not sure how an 80 percentile translates to a GPA, but a good goal is just to get the highest mark you can get.

RMC Interactive Module: http://www.forces.ca/interactive/rmc/kingston/index.html

The Travel Is There said:
Unsuccessful with my ACSO test today  :( but I now have the option of selecting a different occupation.

Trade Choice 1: Pilot
Trade Choice 2: ACSO (Failed Test)
Trade Choice 3: MARS
Application Date: October 28
First Contact: Early November
Aptitude: November 15
Medical: November 30
Interview completed: November 30
ACSO Test: December 16 (Failed)
Aircrew selection:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

Sorry to hear that! Do you know what caused you to fail or were you just told that you didn't pass? I'm not really sure how to prepare for my ACSO test, but I guess you either know it or you don't when you sit it.

jparkin said:
Sorry to hear that! Do you know what caused you to fail or were you just told that you didn't pass? I'm not really sure how to prepare for my ACSO test, but I guess you either know it or you don't when you sit it.

They just told me I was unsuccessful.

Just study what the sheet tells you to study and good luck! :)

I received an email this past Wednesday advising me that I have qualified for all of my occupation choices and to call in to book my medical/interview, which was booked in for Dec 19th. I had my fingers crossed for completing the interview before Christmas and it looks like it worked.

(Mods, sorry in advance if I posted in the wrong section)

Hello everyone,           

I've been a long time follower, and finally made an account the other day to post my ROTP story.

This is my second time applying to ROTP, after being turned down last year for the Pilot position. ROTP wasn't a main focus for me at the time, and basically I just saw it as a great opportunity if I were to be accepted. Needless to say, and I hate to dash any hopeful future Pilot's dream, but VERY few people are admitted to that trade. It is the most sought after trade in the CF by far. Anyways, I finished up high school and got early acceptance to the University of Guelph for Engineering, which was my main goal, although I had been investigating opportunities in the CF about two years prior starting in grade 10. DON'T COAST IN SECOND SEMESTER GRADE 12! I had my acceptance, and had to maintain a 70% average. I barely made that cut in second semester, after getting an 85% average in all of grade 11 and first semester grade 12, taking all science and math. I regret that a lot, but what's done is done. If you do well throughout all of high school, I guarantee you'll feel great when it's done. Graduate with a bang! ;D

Anyways, I decided to give the CF another shot. I was about to re-write my aptitude test today, the 19th, as I felt that's what I needed to do to be more competitive, and my Military Career Counselor agreed.

I applied this year with my first choice being Engineering Officer, and my second choice being Armour Officer. I Just finished my first semester at Guelph taking Mechanical Engineering.

Well, believe it or not, I got a call on Friday morning saying I got the job for ROTP Engineering.

Having been through the entire application process before, this was the last thing I was expecting, especially at this time. Apparently, RMC or ROTP was short an Engineer, and I got the one and only spot. My phone call was short and sweet, saying I needed to be at the CFRC Toronto for today, Monday, at 9:00 AM. That's it. I barely answered the Master Corporal as I was in shock :D "Th-th-thank-you! Uh-uhm-ohmygawd THANKYOU! Yes sir I-I-I'll be there, Monday, N-N-Nine o'clock at CFRC Toronto! Thanks again!" After running downstairs and telling my parents, I had time to absorb it more. Why was I being sent to Toronto? Odd I thought, since all my processing was being done in Oshawa...

I went for 8:20, and it was a good thing too, because the CFRC Toronto doesn't open until 10:00! (Mondays only) At this point I was sure it was my fault for misunderstanding the Master Corporal who called me Friday, and I suddenly felt my heart sink. I screwed up before I even signed on. Luckily, an administrative member at CFRC Toronto saw my worried look as I stood outside the closed glass doors with my Dad, and let me in, where I explained myself. An Officer came out, who promptly called CFRC Oshawa to see just what was going on. Turns out, everything in my file log was a mess, and there had been a miscommunication on their part. I had an interview in Oshawa in about four minutes. "But hey, since you're here, why don't you update your medical?" Said the Officer in Toronto. I was the only one who had an interview in Oshawa, so the Captain I was dealing with there would have to wait for my Medical to get updated. However, since I wasn't scheduled and had already been accepted, I was on low priority, and had to wait for everyone else who was there already to get processed before me.

There were two other guys in the waiting room, and we got talking. Turns out they were both applying for Pilot. Since I wasn't aware I'd have a medical that day, I brought no change of clothes. Long story short, got the medical done, no problems, three and a half hours later :D

I went to Oshawa, and when I get there I'm told the Captain interviewing me went on lunch, right before I arrived. I'm just smiling at this point.

My dad and I decided to grab a bite; even though I was too excited to be hungry. We went back the the Oshawa Recruitment Center for one o'clock, and I had my interview and discussion about next steps. The interview was necessary as they just needed something within the year. It went great, and I'll continue to attend Civvy U  at Guelph, for Mechanical Engineering. Subsidized now, of course.

What a day it's been.

My Enrollment and swearing-in date is set for January 11th, the same day I was supposed to be born, as pointed out by my mother (she couldn't wait though, and just had to have me new years day). :)

I'll follow this thread in the future and answer any questions anyone has, if any. :)

Hopefully I'll see some of you this summer coming up!

PS. In case you were wondering, ERTW is a slogan we have here at Guelph. Engineers Rule The World!

EDIT: Forgot to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

HEY! I'm glad to catch up on reading how everyone is doing. These last few months have been absolutely insane, and I haven't had any time to sit down and let ya'll know how my application is coming along. I am applying from victoria with MARS as my first choice, Marine Systems ENG as my second, and NCS ENG as my third choice. I am hoping to take a Mech Eng degree at RMC, and if I don't succeed this year, I will be back next year. I went in right away at the beginning of September to apply, only to find that my grades weren't good enough in a few courses to meet the engineering requirements. Needless to say, I was pretty choked. (Wee bit of a backstory here, I moved out when I was 15, and I've been struggling to support myself and still graduate from high school with semi-decent marks. The Navy is something I've always wanted to be a part of, so naturally I was upset when I found out I didn't meet the mark. Poor planning on my part for this failure, just emphasizing the need to do well in school!)

Because I've come so far, I wasn't about to let bad marks in 3 courses and no marks (hadn't taken them) in 2 courses keep me from missing out on ROTP again (too late last year to apply). The first place I went after the recruiter's was straight to the Distance Education centre where I immediately signed up for physics and chem (both 11 and 12) and calculus. Fast forward three months of all-nighters and constant studying, and I did it! I got the marks I needed, and so today, I was finally able to re-start my application and get the ball rolling! I am back into CFRC tomorrow to update some things with my file. I am so excited, and I wish you all luck with whatever stage in the process you are in! Also, merry chirstmas everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back