• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know your eyesight could restrict your eligibility for certain trades but probably not all of them, I am unsure of the details though so contacting a recruiting center would be your best bet or someone else on here may have better insight into the process.

So amayzer, if you don't mind me asking, when are you planning to apply exactly?

My plan is to go down to my local CFRC in the first few days of September to get the paperwork and process started.

I'm currently at the University of Waterloo for Systems Design Engineering, which I started in Fall 2010.
I plan on applying for Marine Systems Engineering Officer in the fall for next year (which in Fall 2012 I will be going into 2B).
I tossed it around for the last four years and finally decided on what I want to do ...

Congrats on the decision milley, its good to hear from you.

So do you plan to continue your education under ROTP at the University of Waterloo?

I'm 19 years old, live in Winnipeg MB and want to become a pilot.

The thing is, I've only just realized it. In the past year of thinking about it all day and night, I know that this is what I truly want to do. Up until high school I was a grade A student. But living in central Winnipeg I became a product of my environment and turned into one of those kids who just hated school. My last couple years of high school and my first 2 years of university were a mess. I graduated high school with high grades in my early years to barely passing grades in my last year. I enrolled into the University of Manitoba with the same mentality I had in high school. Ending up only finishing 3 courses in my first 2 years of university 1, withdrawing from all the others.

I am 19 now and I've realized that I need to turn my life around. Since 2011 started I've been working hard getting physically fit, I have 2 jobs this summer to help get me out of the financial slump I put myself in, and I am taking summer courses at the U of M getting 90%+ grades. I know I have no more time left to waste. I don't plan on my grades ever dropping below 90% again and once the school year starts I will involve myself in as many extra curricular activities that I can.

I wanted to know, with my history could I still become a pilot? And would ROTP be the way to go?

To be honest, you should speak with a recruiter at CFRC on York and Kennedy.

I was chasing my dream too......

But she's too fast for me.......... :(

Thanks. I'll go and do that very soon.

I realize that becoming a pilot is extremely competitive and most people who get in have been working towards that since they were little. That's why I'm open minded about other trades. What trades would I be able to get into with a degree in computer science?

http://www.kingsown.ca/Old%20Site/ROTP%20Quest%20Part%201_en.pdf

That should help you out.

Intercepted said:
Thanks. I'll go and do that very soon.

I realize that becoming a pilot is extremely competitive and most people who get in have been working towards that since they were little. That's why I'm open minded about other trades. What trades would I be able to get into with a degree in computer science?

Most trades will accept any bachelor's degree. 

Hello. I am considering applying for the ROTP this September in hopes to become a pilot. (Long and tough road, I know). Currently in grade 11 and hoping to attend a civi university. I'm a little unsure though about applying as it is a very big decision. I don't think my mom likes the idea of me pursuing a military career, is there any advice on how to deal with that? I don't really know anyone who is in the military :(

Millerov if you apply ROTP there is a very good chance you could be sent to RMC instead of civi u. RMC was my third and yet that was offer. If you are prepared to forgo civi U and attend RMC then by all means apply. However you know what you're getting into. I've even heard of guys getting offers from RMC without even putting it on their application.

Hey Millerov, at first my mom was pretty shocked that i wanted a career in the military as well. After a while and quite a few discussions about why and the military in general (her understanding was very limited) she came around and now fully supports me. It was hard because i don't know anyone in the military either but giving your mom time to think it over may help. There is also a few discussions on this site about how to get everyone on board for your decision.

That is good advice. Just talk with her, and tell her every reason why you want to join the military. Eventually she will begin to understand, but having lots of discussions with her about it will also force you to think about why you want to join the military, and that'll help you decide if you really will apply one day.

Thanks for the advice. I have mentioned it to her before but I feel like she changes the topic really quickly. I tend to talk to my dad about it more because his dad was in the military
so he fully supports me.

Canadian1992 said:
Millerov if you apply ROTP there is a very good chance you could be sent to RMC instead of civi u. RMC was my third and yet that was offer. If you are prepared to forgo civi U and attend RMC then by all means apply. However you know what you're getting into. I've even heard of guys getting offers from RMC without even putting it on their application.

So you aren't allowed to choose where you would like to go?

Maybe a more direct approach asking what bothers her about it would be worth trying. Of course i don't know your mother or if you have tried this, but it helped when I was direct with my mom about her feelings on the topic. Best of luck with getting those around you to understand, i'm sure its a problem a lot of people on here have had aha.

Millerov said:
So you aren't allowed to choose where you would like to go?

No, you can order your choices and indicate that you prefer to go to Civi U, however at the end of the day it is the CF that decides where you will go, and it falls to you to either reject or accept your offer. At the end of the ROTP 2011-2012 thread this is discussed starting on page 40. Look for posts by jwtg. Then, on page 42, read jwtg's, mathabos' and George Wallace's posts.

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/92302.975.html

amayzer said:
Best of luck with getting those around you to understand, i'm sure its a problem a lot of people on here have had aha.

Thanks man :)

Canadian1992 said:
No, you can order your choices and indicate that you prefer to go to Civi U, however at the end of the day it is the CF that decides where you will go, and it falls to you to either reject or accept your offer. At the end of the ROTP 2011-2012 thread this is discussed starting on page 40. Look for posts by jwtg. Then, on page 42, read jwtg's, mathabos' and George Wallace's posts.

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/92302.975.html

Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying and providing a link! Much appreciated. Would it make any difference if the program you would like to take isn't offered at RMC?

Millerov said:
Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying and providing a link! Much appreciated. Would it make any difference if the program you would like to take isn't offered at RMC?

I'm getting a bit out of my league, but yes, I do believe that to be the case. Also, if your doing a trade such as nursing or pharmacist then you would definitely be doing civi u seeing as you cannot study those at RMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back