• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can take all your classes in either French or English, and depending on your abilities, you will take second language classes.

krimynal said:
people from quebec are doing 2 years in ST-Jean .... 1st will be the 6th high school grade ( basicaly ) the 2nd one would be prep year .... someone from outside would only do 1 year wich is prep year

I know this is a couple of days old, but this information is inaccurate.  When someone from outside Quebec goes to CMR for prep year, they do the following year at CMR as well (which equates to RMC first year) and they arrive at RMC as 2nd years after having spent 2 years at CMR.  This isn't all that common, but I know a few guys who do it each year.

A greater number of people go to CMR and do first year (as opposed to prep year) and come to RMC the following year as second years.

Make sure your info is good before you pass it on.

Mary said:
I just got excepted to RMC saint Jean, I just took my first year university and I am transfering there. I am really excited but I am also worried because i dont speak ANY french!! Will I survive?

Heck, I was in St-Jean for a spell and managed to find the beer store no problem.    :)

Are the freedoms of RMC cadets (especially first years) severely restricted compared to a normal student at a civilian university? Examples: leaving campus when you don't have a class to attend.
Thanks
Edit: I don't have any issues with my freedoms being restricted while at RMC, I am just curious.

During the first month at RMC, first years undergo FYOP - First Year Orientation Period.  You will not be allowed to leave campus at all.  You will be working from reveille (usually 0500 or 0600) until lights out (2300) with about an hour of personal time per day.  You have basically no 'freedoms' (read privileges) other than doing what you're told.

After FYOP, once you complete the Obstacle Course and receive your cap badge, you will be welcomed into the Cadet Wing and afforded a higher level of privileges.  You can go into town during the day when you have spares, provided you wear the appropriate uniform.  You are allowed a certain number of After Duty Passes (basically evenings you may leave the peninsula and go into town) each month; I think it's 12 or something like that. 

When you go into town during first year, you are required to wear the designated uniform (4's - a formal uniform) at all times.  There are limitations on what kind of furniture you may have in your room (very little in first year) although in subsequent years, refrigerators, TVs, etc. are permitted.

Rumor is that next year, first years won't be allowed to bring cars to RMC (parking shortage).

You'll have more demands on your time than your Civi U counterparts (unless they work as well) because in addition to studying, you are a CF member and will be tasked with parades, events, functions, etc.

RMC is like a full-time job which requires you to stay in shape, learn a second language, successfully earn an undergraduate degree, complete military training, and perform tasks as assigned.  It is what you make of it, and you get out as much as you put in.

Cheers.

No problem.  Feel free to PM me (you or others reading this) with further questions about RMC.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Guess you never heard about the golden handshake RMC gave out a few years back.
I confess I haven't; care to elaborate?

I was being quasi-facetious; many students at RMC have spent time at civilian universities prior to enrolling (myself included), and the general consensus seems to be that Civ U was easier because there are very few extra duties an ROTP student faces beyond normal student things, and they are, in fact, paid to study.  My life at RMC is more difficult than my life was when I was studying at a civilian university.

That being said, I'm not complaining.  I knew what I was getting into and I have no problem sacrificing my morning, evening and weekend hours because I like what I do.

jwtg said:
I confess I haven't; care to elaborate?

I was being quasi-facetious; many students at RMC have spent time at civilian universities prior to enrolling (myself included), and the general consensus seems to be that Civ U was easier because there are very few extra duties an ROTP student faces beyond normal student things, and they are, in fact, paid to study.  My life at RMC is more difficult than my life was when I was studying at a civilian university.

That being said, I'm not complaining.  I knew what I was getting into and I have no problem sacrificing my morning, evening and weekend hours because I like what I do.

As legends go, once upon a time rumor has it RMC graduates were too plentiful that year, or something along those lines.  So after being paid to attend university and get a degree the CF would offer them a lump sum of money and a thanks for coming out golden handshake in lieu of having to serve out their 8 years thus saving the CF money in the long run.

Facts may vary  ;)

The value of being a ring-knocker should not be underestimated, should you decide to make the CAF a career.  ;D

jwtg said:
As long as you don't mind paying tuition, books, supplies, etc., then sure.

I did not. Worked, loans, etc. enjoyed this chapter in my life and joined when I was 23. Pros and cons as RMC folks get 4 yrs pensionable service. There is value in grad from RMC from a purity perspective. I did my masters at RMC to get in there somehow.

Can or did someone pass the AEC selection test with success but has not been selected as a AEC?

Thank you!

ouellette9 said:
Can or did someone pass the AEC selection test with success but has not been selected as a AEC?

Thank you!

What I gather is you're asking whether or not it is possible for someone to pass AEC testing and not be offered an AEC position.

What I can offer is the following:
1) Passing AEC selection does not mean that you are ranked higher than others on the merit list, so the possibility exists that you receive no offer at all.

2) I know people who have been successful at Aircrew selection for Pilot and/or ACSO who have received offers for trades other than their top choice of Pilot or ACSO.

Hopefully that gives you some info.

EDIT: To be nicer.

In some trades, especially ones that don't do CAP or similar type training (Air Force types come to mind) I find that RMC can produce a superior product when it comes to a young officer versus DEO and CEOTP.

Obviously this is very broad brush but it is my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back