• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regimental Shoulder Badges

Would you be in favor of having the coloured shoulder badges on the combat uniform for garrison wear

• Coloured shoulder badges attached via velcro to the cadpat combat uniform

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Current uniform, with unit abbreviation on slip-on

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Current uniform, with brassard that has regimental/branch shoulder titles and brigade patch

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters
Guardian said:
Although I agree with you, I don't see how that would work for us with the huge hip pockets. Mind you, with the tac and flak vests those pockets are superfluous anyway - maybe the next series of combat uniforms could drop them entirely and we could think of tucking in the shirts in garrison.... just a thought.

You've forgotten the Mark III combat shirt already?  They tried in the 1990s, didn't fly.  I wore one religiously, however, I never tucked it in.  The only one I saw who did was a general doing an inspection.

"we could think of tucking in the shirts in garrison"

I hope they don't develop one...

rifleman said:
The Cap badge and unit title on the slip-on is enough for CadPat. What more is needed?
Maybe (for garrison) gold thread for the rank & use the colours from the old shoulder badges in the unit title on the slip-on.  With that could be a brassard to show the brigade patch and a red & white Canadian flag.

I suggest we wear traffic vests with all pertinant information about ourselves on it, english on one side and french on the other. (in garrison only, of course),

McG said:
Maybe (for garrison) gold thread for the rank & use the colours from the old shoulder badges in the unit title on the slip-on.   With that could be a brassard to show the brigade patch and a red & white Canadian flag.

Gold thread for the rank in garrison could definately help people from going crosseyed trying to figure out if they have to salute or not... or at the very least use the old solid OD ones.

McG said:
Maybe (for garrison) gold thread for the rank & use the colours from the old shoulder badges in the unit title on the slip-on.   With that could be a brassard to show the brigade patch and a red & white Canadian flag.

Not a bad idea - could even use the "old gold" thread that we used to use on Garrison Dress, since we are talking about garrison dress.

Multi-coloured unit titles would be gaudy, but not a bad idea.   Or, how about reviving the old Corps colours - infantry scarlet, rifle regiments black and green, artillery and MPs red, Logistics blue (the colour of the RCOC, unless they have their own Branch colours now), etc.   Use the colour for the backing of the unit title and have white or buff thread.  Would be a jaunty touch without being overpowering like a stable belt or other expensive item.

What about in garrison wearing a brassard with colored unit shoulder patches, brigade patch and gold 'garrison' dress rank insignia?

Then for combat/operations use the cadpat slip on with subdued rank and unit abbreviation with the Canadian flag on the shoulder in either colour or subdued.

00titles.gif

So here is what the coloured titles on the CADPAT slip ons might look like.

Some interesting options.

"Corps colours" - infantry corps with white on red for all units, white on blue for service battalions, etc.

Regimental colours - for example, scarlet and rifle green for the QOR.  PPCLI would have maroon and French Grey, or, as shown here, a miniature of the very famous PPCLI shoulder title.  KOCR regimental colours are the two shades of blue - rather than using the colours of the Armoured Corps, they might use their regimental colours.

Lots of options, and would be a nice homage to the older traditions of coloured headdress and officers rank badges distinguishing your corps or branch.

Michael Dorosh said:
00titles.gif

So here is what the coloured titles on the CADPAT slip ons might look like.

Some interesting options.

"Corps colours" - infantry corps with white on red for all units, white on blue for service battalions, etc.

Regimental colours - for example, scarlet and rifle green for the QOR. PPCLI would have maroon and French Grey, or, as shown here, a miniature of the very famous PPCLI shoulder title. KOCR regimental colours are the two shades of blue - rather than using the colours of the Armoured Corps, they might use their regimental colours.

Lots of options, and would be a nice homage to the older traditions of coloured headdress and officers rank badges distinguishing your corps or branch.
I think that would be really interesting and goodlooking for garrison. And a bonus of having historical information being passed on- always a good thing.
and I definately support all ranks wearing the golden like or OD thread - so much easier for me as a wee pte (R) to acknowlegde from a distance :)

Michael,

The colored unit abbreviations look interesting.

The only problem I see with the coloured slip-on titles is for units that have more than two official colors.

Could you do a few versions featuring a cadpat brassard with regimental shoulder badge, brigade patch and gold 'Garrison Uniform' rank insignia like what you did with the cadpat slip-ons?

Matt_Fisher said:
Could you do a few versions featuring a cadpat brassard with regimental shoulder badge, brigade patch and gold 'Garrison Uniform' rank insignia?
That would get awfully cluttered.

In the end, I think adding the Bde patch (for in garrison) would serve us better than making the unit identification flashier & brighter.   My reserve experience was that everyone's attachment was to their regiment.   It stopped there.

There was no sense of belonging at the Bde level.   I think wearing the patch, and reminding people they are part of something larger could go a long way to fostering an atmosphere of partnership amongst Bde members that often train along side eachother in composite sub-units at summer concentrations.  I've noticed the same impressions of supremacy of the unit in the regular force.  However, maybe because the Bde units all live together on super-bases, this impression is much dimminished from that in a reserve unit.

Perhaps they should create a special uniform that we would only wear in garrison. ;D ;D

rifleman said:
Perhaps they should create a special uniform that we would only wear in garrison. ;D ;D
Care to buy one?
Next to new,with boots.

Back