• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Trooper Karine Blais - Military apologizes for delay in repatriation

Sat, April 18, 2009
Defence minister sorry for repatriation 'error'
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

HALIFAX -- Defence Minister Peter MacKay is apologizing for the way the military handled the repatriation of a soldier killed in Afghanistan, and he says such a mistake won't happen again.

MacKay said yesterday an "operational error" was made when a plane carrying the remains of Trooper Karine Blais, 21, stopped in Ottawa and then carried on to Canadian Forces Base Trenton.

Military officials say about 117 soldiers got off the plane in Ottawa before the flight continued on for the repatriation ceremony in Trenton, Ont., on Thursday.

MacKay said he believes officials wanted to allow the soldiers to return home faster, rather than have them land in Trenton and then make the trip back to Ottawa.

"It shouldn't happen, plain and simple, and I've been given assurances from the military that it won't happen," he said.
"Clearly it was a mistake."

MacKay said Canada's chief of defence staff apologized immediately.

The minister said he spoke with the family of Blais, who died when the armoured vehicle she was riding was struck by a roadside bomb.

"Certainly the last thing we would ever want to do is show any disrespect to our fallen heroes," he added. "I don't think it was meant to be insensitive or to show any disrespect. I think it was an operational decision that was meant to get soldiers home sooner.

"I can't explain it other than to say we are very deeply sorry that this happened and we will do everything and endeavour to ensure this never happens again."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2009/04/18/9155676-sun.html

........and what if the plane had, for whatever reason, been slated to land in Fredricton or Gander first? Would they go all the way to Trenton, then back to the east coast, after the ceremony? Just wonderin'

Back