• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-applying / question to infantry soldiers

Sinah

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, first off thanks for taking the time to read my question. I applied and was accepted in feb of 2008 and went to St.Jean for my BMQ, just after I got there my gf's mother had passed away from cancer and my dad also became very sick so I vr'ed to come home and help out and be there for my gf and my family. Now my question is, is it still possible for me to join up again and do I have to do all the testing over again.

And my question to infantry soldiers is, how many have actually picked it for a full-time career and stuck with it and not switched trades I've heard from a few people that its a very hard career choice (which I kinda figured) and that alot of people end up trying to switch trades. I really like the idea of being an infantry soldier and I want to be in the army as a full career, is there anyone that would recommend that or should I pick another trade. Again thanks for taking the time to read this and answer my questions

You do have to do a medical and interview again as well as an ERC. But the process is a bit faster since you did have previous service(even 1 week counts as previous service) I am doing the same thing and I recieved a call one month after reapplying with my dates to go. My initial application took more then 9 months. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info good luck on your course. I'm actually going to the recruiting office tomorrow. I'll post what they tell me.

Sinah said:
Thanks for the info good luck on your course. I'm actually going to the recruiting office tomorrow. I'll post what they tell me.

Thanks. Oh and when you go bring your release information CFLRS gave you when you released, They will want copies of it all to help verify your previous service.

it is not quite the same for me since I vr from the reserve and came back in the reserve and switched trades at the same time from armour to infantry but took me a year to come back.  Even if i was in the supp. res. it did took me a year to get back in and i already had 1 year of service.  I know it can vary a lot but i just wanted to share what was my experience of getting out and back in. 

Thanks I appreciate it alot. Are you still in? how are u liking infantry?

how are u liking infantry?

There will be times when you feel like the most useless person alive because you spend weeks counting lockers.. Then there will be times that you don't even know what day it is anymore because you will be so busy that you lose track.. I've never seen a happy medium...

sounds like a blast to me. Thanks for all the info guys :camo:

I have yet to start my career in the infantry. But I seem to be heading for bmq in September. I will do my initial contract for three years and might resign right away. However once I turn 21, I may get a great opportunity to work outside of the country for a year. Then I would come back reapply. Would working outside of the country for a year be a problem, and might make it so I could not get back in. But I still am not for sure getting that chance. The country would be South Africa. But I am still 18, so I can have my dreams.

So just a heads up, I went to the recruitment office and filled out all the paperwork, didn't have to do the aptitude test again. The day after I filled out and handed in my paperwork they called my references and now I'm just waiting to get my files from ottawa to come in and then were going to schedule the interview/medical and then from there get my dates. Getting pretty excited!! :D

Awesome! I'm in a similar position, I had already applied once although I never went any further than completing my medical, CFAT and interview, I passed them and was going for NCM Infantry. I re-applied a week ago and they said everything was still valid from last time (7 months ago) so they sent my file away to be re-viewed, said it would take 4 weeks, so I have 3 more to go...hopefully.

So, I got my date for my medical/interview. It's going to be on the 17th which I had plans to travel to Montreal (going to see cirque du soleil) so had to push that up to leaving in the afternoon, no big deal there. I'm getting pretty excited to go again. Well wish me luck for the 17th

For some, the infantry is hands down perfect for them, and they will stay in it for their whole careers. I know quite a few warrants who are infanteers through and through, and some how their bodies have somewhat defied the brutal impact of this trade. Some change trades at the beginning because it isn't for them (I guess they don't like rucking in 45+ degree heat with no water..), and some love it but their knees and backs are too worn out from punishment to continue the trade, so they opt for a less strenuous job. It's safe to say that after 20 years in the infantry, you aren't going to have any knees left unless you are really lucky..

It's a good life, not just a job. You get out of it what you put into it. There are many days when you'll want to smash your head into the wall, and many days when you cant wipe the sh** eating grin off your face. It really isnt for everybody though. Most guys do 3 years and get out, not because its physically too hard, but because of daily frustrations in garrison. A novel could be written about that subject...

Another update: had my interview and medical passed them both great, got merit listed for infantry which is awesome but here's the kicker there not really looking for to many infantry guys something like 40 for RCR and 78 for PPCLI so hopefully I can be one of those guys. So now just a waiting game they told me that if I don't hear back in 2 weeks to give them a shout which would be the end of July but I'm going to wait till the end of the first week of August and give them a shout if I didn't hear anything by that point.

well I did get in for PPCLI, was merit listed for approximately 3 weeks. But I really want to get into 3ppcli, does anyone know if they take new guys or do they mostly get people that transfer over there. It really isn't a huge deal for me to get there I would just prefer it.

Rinker really? Yes newly qualified Infantrymen coming off BIQ can goto 3PPCLI aswell as the other two battalions. Each BIQ course will be slotted for one of the Battalions. An no you don't get to pick which battalion you goto.

INFLAR said:
It's safe to say that after 20 years in the infantry, you aren't going to have any knees left unless you are really lucky..
It's not about luck, it's about pacing yourself. Some guys go "balls-to-the-wall" all the time, then burn themselves out. You have to choose your battles, set priorities and find a balance between the professional and personal aspects of your life.
I'm a Sgt-Maj with over 25 years in the Infantry, and I still enjoy it; I don't count lockers anymore, I have too much work...  ;)

Journeyman said:
Yes, but you got to work with me....  ;D
Yeah, but you are unique...  ;D

unique-demotivator-poster.jpg

Back