• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP to employ turret-less AVGPs in BC

tango22a

Inactive
Reaction score
Apparently the RCMP will employ 2 de-turreted Cougar AVGPs as TAVII vehicles in BC. The vehicles will be unarmed and be used to transport people under armour in various situations when required. This info provided by Vancouver Sun of 23Mar10.

tango22a

A bit more detail, © Copyright The Province

Article Link
RCMP acquires two armoured vehicles from Canadian Forces

The B.C. RCMP's Emergency Response Team has acquired two armoured vehicles from the Canadian Forces.

They're bulletproof, all-terrain vehicles with six-wheel drive, the police announced in a news release today.

They don't have any weapons, but can provide safe cover for officers in gunfire situations.

The vehicles, good for use in both rural and urban environments, "will be strategically located at various locations within the Lower Mainland," RCMP said.

2718163.bin

And of course, the inevitable tinfoil hat comments following the article
Tazer weilding police officers and gun slinging cops aint enough now they have this machine to cause harm to the innocent. Now there just gonna drive this in airports and start fireing instead of tazers

We all know that the turrets are being held in reserve and can be reattached in a couple of hours. They also took the remaining stock of 76mm canister. Just in case they come up against more than one guy at the airport with a stapler. ;D

And in related news.....

CF acquires formally surplussed AVGP's from the RCMP......

Story at 11.......

;D

recceguy said:
We all know that the turrets are being held in reserve and can be reattached in a couple of hours. They also took the remaining stock of 76mm canister. Just in case they come up against more than one guy at the airport with a stapler. ;D

So that's 17 turns to the right to seat them again..........

;D

They even look to still have the propellers.. that means they can take them to the islands if they need to!

Bzzliteyr said:
They even look to still have the propellers.. that means they can take them to the islands if they need to!

Im finding it difficult to imagine any practical situation where the RCMP would need to use these for amphibious operations...

Hmmmm - I am thinking that they will likely have removed all the floor plugs for ventilation purposes and hot pursuit entry into water will result only in multiple interior water fountains followed by a sinking feeling...

Only two to the RCMP?  I saw a whole fleet in the same paint scheme with steel plate closing the turret ring at the RCMP facility formerly known as LETE.

MCG said:
Only two to the RCMP?  I saw a whole fleet in the same paint scheme with steel plate closing the turret ring at the RCMP facility formerly known as LETE.

Only 2 went too BC as per the article. Chances are this fleet you saw is spread across the country.

I saw one of them on PRTC property while I was in Chilliwack for PODIUM, I had to take a second look because I wasn't expecting to see a non-green armoured vehicle buzzing around. Did we not give the City of Edmonton a couple of these too?

Chapeski said:
Did we not give the City of Edmonton a couple of these too?

I found this:
"In May 2007, the Edmonton Police Service accepted the donation of a disarmed Grizzly from the Canadian Forces."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVGP#Today

tango22a said:
Apparently the RCMP will employ 2 de-turreted Cougar AVGPs as TAVII vehicles in BC. The vehicles will be unarmed and be used to transport people under armour in various situations when required. This info provided by Vancouver Sun of 23Mar10.

tango22a

The Hull is not an AVGP Cougar. It is an AVGP Grizzly. AMU is fixed on the Hull, the Cougar has it on the (removed) Turret. There is a commander's Hatch behind the driver; on the Cougar it does not exist.

I miss the L23A1s...  :'(

Im glad someone clarified that - I was thinking it was a Grizzly too but couldnt remember the differences...

mariomike said:
I found this:
"In May 2007, the Edmonton Police Service accepted the donation of a disarmed Grizzly from the Canadian Forces."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVGP#Today

Thanks for the quick check, I remembered seeing something, but wasn't sure. I'm reading the link now, pretty cool!

interesting
i also heard that they (rcmp) appropriated a romulan cloaking
device from said dealers during a raid on their legal health
canada grow operation... unfortunately said dealers forgot
forgot to give them the code to enable them to raid and
seize said  smoking material for thier own personal use
for stress relief ,,,,,pain medication ,,,,,and thier own enjoy-
ment..... regards said turret-less avgp well hell were under
cover spark up another one .........................................
regards
scoty b........................................................................
any bets ill be under scrutiny by some of my calvary cousins
by just posting this,,,,,,,, anybody..... stands to reason...
then again ....................... sides  i spark one up every day
cept its the plain jane regular tobacco... rolled cowboy
style..by hand... imagine that
hope they have enough armour on thier avgp to withstand
an eggy assualt....
just f****** with ya cousins
                      scoty b
next beers on me

oh and by the way my grandfather served with mr  steele
boar war back in the day....(seaforth highlanders)(old
contemptibles) go figuire.....
                  scoty b

Greymatters said:
Im finding it difficult to imagine any practical situation where the RCMP would need to use these for amphibious operations...

How else do you expect them to deploy their crack water ski assault team!!  ;D

Seriously, I can think quite easily of several scenarios. Imagine a native standoff where they close/damage the only bridge in the area, this may give the police the option to cross the waterway, even if they don't, the opposing side must consider it a possiblity and guard against it.

The AVGP got used for the first time today. busted into a house looking for bad guys ;D

Back