• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

Lunch? What's lunch? I thought the hour was a wait time for him to grade my answers against the pre-determined scoring key. I was very glad to have passed.

I'm not talking about the actual interview.  I had that...it was about 2 hours followed by a 30 min. wait then I was told I passed and then had another hour for a security interview.  This meeting I am talking about I have never heard of.  I think it may be in place of the polygraph but I could be wrong.  It is to discuss the results of the background, I'm not sure if this will be a good meeting or a bad meeting.  Anyone have any ideas??

No idea... I didn't have that meeting.  Just the one broken into two parts. 

From what I can gather, since last November, this polygraph is now mandatory, and I have my polygraph on friday, 8:30am NL standard time.

I hope everything goes well with your polygraph.  My meeting is tomorrow, I sure hope it goes well!! 

Don't sweat the polygraph just be honest. In regards to the POPAT an earlier message said the hurdles aren't in the run, however they are. They are located just after you come back down the steps there are two hurdles spaced so you can't clear them both in one leap. They are placed there to break up your running rhythm. We have used the POPAT here in Vancouver PD for the 14yrs I've been here.

I plan on being honest, just that I'm going there on 2 hours sleep and I"m not sure how nervousness ranks...

Or go here and hedge your bets...

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc;action=display;num=1138865416

;D ;D ;D

POlygraph is postponed one week due to lack of sleep. Beyond my control, had a shift till 3:30am, polygraph at 8:30am. They determined that I didn't have enough sleep :(

blueboy said:
Don't sweat the polygraph just be honest. In regards to the POPAT an earlier message said the hurdles aren't in the run, however they are. They are located just after you come back down the steps there are two hurdles spaced so you can't clear them both in one leap. They are placed there to break up your running rhythm. We have used the POPAT here in Vancouver PD for the 14yrs I've been here.

I used an incorrect word for the hurdles.  I call the two 18 inch jumps simply 'obstacles', as far as the hurdles I guess I should have said 'vault'.  After the run (which includes the 'obstacles') you do the push/pull and once that is completed you do the vaulting (5 on each side alternating front to back).  Within 20 seconds of that you must do the 100lbs carry 50meters.  The 100lbs carry is not included in the time.  I found the POPAT to be harder than the PARE.

Fry said:
POlygraph is postponed one week due to lack of sleep. Beyond my control, had a shift till 3:30am, polygraph at 8:30am. They determined that I didn't have enough sleep :(

So how did the polygraph go?

how did the polygraph go....i just wrote my rpat feb 11.... i have a litle bit of criminolgy courses under my belt hope it helps me alittle. good luck i hope you get in, they are recruitng like crazy. normally where they take one person they are taking two now...needless to say depot is pretty busy these days. I know we cant discuss details about our tests/examinations but i heard they ask some pretty personal and sometimes rude stuff on the polygraph test....just nod your head if it was rude questions.....and smile if it wasnt that bad at all.... careful now....they might be watching  :salute:

The polygraph was very mentally exhausting, IMHO. Seriously, if you're not mentally tough, I wouldn't consider taking it. It surprised me, haha. I'm waiting to hear the results. I was totally up front and honest, just wondering what's taking so long.

Fry said:
The polygraph was very mentally exhausting, IMHO. Seriously, if you're not mentally tough, I wouldn't consider taking it. It surprised me, haha. I'm waiting to hear the results. I was totally up front and honest, just wondering what's taking so long.

I guess you can't tell us what kind of questions they asked. How long was it? were they mean or typical proffessional?

ohh and hope you do well.

Have you ever thought of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary as an option?

With the polygraph don't try looking it up on the internet or asking people about it. Get a good nights sleep, eat before you go in, don't drink any highly caffinated beverages and try to avoid any excess stress for a day or so prior.

Most importantly be honest with your anwers, believe me they have heard everything before!!!!!!!! Be honest in your interview as well, as some of those questions and the answers you provided will most likely be re-confirmed.

Everybody keeps that little locked box at the back of their head, full of items that they are too embarrassed or ashamed to share with others. Be prepared to spread that little box out on the table for the polygraphist to look through. It's about integrity and honesty, not that you smoked excessive amounts of BC finest chronic in Grade 10!!

Cheers
Noneck

thanks for that I will surely use that info to better my chances. And  i think im one of a select few individuals these days that has never tried any drugs. I have "experimented" with alcohol underage though. I doubt that will put black marks on my folder, but you never know....at least i don't know.

Just out of curiosity i noticed a member mention something about how the CF and RCMP are on a short budget. Now obviously I know the CF is plagues by some money issues but is the RCMP? I can't ever recall hearing anything about the RCMP being in dire straights over cash or equipment. I know probably there are some minor issues but i was always under the assumption that the RCMP has what it wants....minus the man power. any thoughts?

Not really.  The RCMP conforms to the same procurement standards as the CF do.  That means that when a new piece of kit is proposed, it has to go through numerous testing and different levels of red tape.  If it is approved, it is farmed out to contract for supply.  Unfortunately, that usually means the lowest bidder gets the contract.

Two perfect examples are our recently deceased cargo pocket pants, and our new duty boot.  The cargo pocket pants got canned by Commissioner Zacardelli (hope that is spelled right) because they looked like crap.  And they did.  But there are numerous products out there that look every bit as professional as our current pants.  The new duty boot was to replace the same ankle boots that were issued with CF dress uniforms.  It is still an ankle boot that is supposedly water proof, but they are about as heavy as my Danner Acadian's, and built WAY cheaper.  I wore them for about a week before I went back to my Danners. 

Our vehicles have to be driven until they are practically falling apart (miled out at 165 000k).  That does not seem like a high mileage until you consider that some of these cars are being driven 24hrs a day, seven days a week, by upwards to 12 different officers that are constantly adjusting the seats, mirrors, etc.  There are several Municipal forces out there that are better equipped than we are.

Blackhorse7- You brought up a good point, I also think that our duty uniform is hurting! Although the new goretex patrol jacket is definitely a step in the right direction.

Is there any thing you guys would have done or would not have done differently in your whole process. I know alot of the info is sensitive material and can't be talked about but I am asking about general stuff. Were there any suprises that you did not forsee? good and bad surprises. I just want to hear a little bit about daily life as a police officer, from a police officer. I wrote a reasearch paper for one of my criminology courses and was surprised to see how much stress is actually involved in policing.  It would be nice to hear some of the upsides/bonus's. (  hope these questions are  ok with the members ). I know you could probably go on and on for days ( a good thing ) but maybe just highlight the key good and bad points. Obviously only if you wish to share your experiences. Thanks guys.

Back