• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

Depends on how many carriers they issue you.  It will be nice in the summer when you go back to your station to be able to peel it off and cool down that much faster.  The OPP have the external ones, and so far I don't think they mind.  The other thing the external units facilitates is a funky suspender system I have seen a few guys wearing under their ex-vest to support the weight on their belts.  It's never bothered me, but guys with back problems say they are great. 
We dumped ties for dickies a while back, but are still allowed to wear them if we want.  I like to wear a tie if I have to go to court in uniform.

Can't speak to the other provinces or the RCMP (federal jurisdiction) but if OPP or municipal cops are in traffic, they have to wear reflective vests, not that I would ever ticket one for not, but a friendly reminder may ensue 8)

Recceguy,
      You might not be the only one giving tickets that day..... ;)

We have had external carriers for years now, but they were navy blue.  We were only issued one, unlike the internal carriers (issued two).  I can't see the RCMP giving out any more than one external carrier just because the color has changed.  I have always been in favor of a straight navy colored uniform.  Yes, it may be hotter in the summer, but I think it looks a hell of a lot more professional than a mix of navy and grey.

For traffic direction, we have a mish mash.  The actual traffic unit now has the banana yellow coats (similar to the bicycle patrol) and everyone has the reversable rain slicker that smells like vomit.  But we also have the mesh day glow orange vests in the trunks.  Most people use those. 
Nobody has to tell me to wear it, since I was informed that if I get baked by some cloth eared bint I may not be covered by Comp.  And that just would not do. 

WR, maybe Recceguy is looking to start a bun fight..... ;)

Hey Noneck...look what I found! Thanks for the compliment. I'll pass it along to the Chief. LOL Shall see you next week on Cougar Salvo up in kamloops.

"I find the VPD patrol uniform very smart (Don't tell Blueboy) and a hell of a lot more standardized and uniform in appearance than our working uniform"...Noneck Feb 25th 06

Cheers
James

I always wondered why the rcmp had that certain type of salute with the palm of hand facing outward but have never asked anyone. Is it because of the british style salute in the cavalry?

I believe it's something like that.  Definately a throwback to British tradition... along the lines of showing an officer you didn't have a weapon in your hand or some such nonsence.  I did it that way in Depot, and went right back to the Military way after graduation.  Not that I have to do it much.... not too many officers in PG.

The way I have heard it, that salute actually goes back to British Naval tradition.  I hijacked this from about.com

Most historians believe, however, that the U.S. Military salute was influenced more by the British Navy. The Naval salute differs from the "Open Hand" British Army Salute in that the palm of the hand faces down towards the shoulder. This dates back to the days of sailing ships, when tar and pitch were used to seal the timber from seawater. To protect their hands, officer wore white gloves and it was considered most undignified to present a dirty palm in the salute so the hand was turned through 90 degrees.

Sounds about right.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/salute.htm

(not being able to edit posts is aggrivating)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PASSED MY POLYGRAPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fry said:

Heh.  Better be careful about how surprised you come across.  Blackhorse may send you back with some harder questions.  ;)

Congratulations.  You are one step closer to being in "the game".

Hey Fry, if you get on and work hard, you may be eligible for one of these prestigeous medals:

Oh no, but I'm happy that it's still moving forward... they're doing the field investigation or something now, so I'll just wait and see how this turns out. Hilarious ribbons.

That's posted in our office.  Hilarious.... even more so because you can look around the office and see people that deserve some of those decorations... ;D

Crown-Loyal said:
I always wondered why the rcmp had that certain type of salute with the palm of hand facing outward but have never asked anyone. Is it because of the british style salute in the cavalry?

It's the former army salute.  The Canadian army stopped using it during unification, when all three services adopted a common drill manual and began using the naval salute.  The RCMP, having no reason to change, evidently carried on saluting as they always had.

Fry said:
Congrats.  I have finally been given permission to do mine since this application process has taken so long that my security interview has expired.  Could you tell me what to expect as far as how the day goes? like  'How long do you meet with the polygrapher before the actual test?'  'Was it an all day event?'  'Do you need to bring a lunch?' 

When I applied this was not part of the process, so this is the very last thing for me.  Anything would be helpful keeping in mind the confidentiality aspect of course.
Thanks

Yup, confidentiality is a big thing, however I can discuss a few things.

The day will be VERY long. Bring a lunch. The polygraph interviewer will even probably show you how accurate the test is by doing test questions to calibrate it , etc. Trust me, DO NOT LIE at all.

Here is the analogy that my polygraph interviewer used.

"Say your brother comes home from school before you do and sees a nice cake that your mother has baked. He and his friends decide to mesh into it and eat it all, leaving some icing and a few crumbs. You come home shortly after, lick the icing and have some on your mouth. Your mother asks you did you eat the cake and you say no."

Here, you would fail the question if hooked up to a polygraph, because the polygraph is so sensitive. They're not interested in your voluntary responses but your involuntary responses. There is no hiding from it, don't believe anything you see on the internet. THere are failsafe devices, etc. I challenge anyone who thinks they can beat it, to actually take it.

But about the above story, the moral really is not to leave any 'crumbs' on the plate. If he/she asks you a question, tell all and then some more. Elaborate to great details on EVERYTHING. It will only save your bum.

I found the test to be the most mentally exhausting thing I've ever done. I won't go any further because then I'd be getting into things that I agreed not to discuss with others, but if you were truthful so far and do not hide ANYTHING during the test, you'll be fine.

Trust me, even if you've smoked weed or stolen things in the pass, fess up and explain how you went wrong, and you admit it wasn't the best thing to do at the time, they understand people aren't perfect.

Trust me, if I could stamp something into your brain, it'd be "BE TRUTHFUL ABOUT EVERYTHING". You'll be fine if you do that. Trust me.

Without breaking any "confidential info" rules how does the RCMP work in foreign countries. I was reading an article on DND website that talks about the missing canadian diplomat in italy and how the italians are being assisted by  some RCMP members that are stationed in europe. Is this poor journalistic writing or are they stationed overseas. I know embassies etc but to actually do police work. Or are they just members of interpol and since it is a Canadian diplomat they are the ones sent. Any insight would be helpful thanks guys.

Back