• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

GO MUNI ! haha you sound like my neighbour, Deputy Chief Lucy of APD. He keeps telling me to go get some schooling and join the Abbotsford force, he is starting to get the idea in my head, but I still dream of the RCMP  :-\  although chicks are good....hmmm

Want to play some poker while we wait... the RCMP should hand out a game boy at least to all applicants  ;D

I haven't even written the RPAT, or been interviewed. I know, I know. It's a little too soon to worry about that. I do know this much, I went through the firefighter application and sailed through. I have a lot of life experience and I also have the attitude required. I will tell you one thing, I considered the RCMP at 18 and I had no education, I was smoking pot, I had a bad attitude, I had tons of speeding tickets. I didn't have a chance. Went to college for two years, well the last bit was part time. Anyways a few years later, I got my life semi together and became a professional firefighter. Over 8 years, I learned to hate it more day by day. Not one bit of challenge in it. After so many fires, CPR for the who knows how many times, overdoses, MVA's etc. I was bored. But I got my attitude beaten to hell, I developed compassion for the public in need, I learned to admit my mistakes, and I developed the ability to lead or to follow without complaint. I have seen many bad things, and I know I am ready for the career I need to be in.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself because I plan on being here quite often through this process(It was a bit hard finding a forum for RCMP potentials, or in the fire service, we called them wannabe's)

Now the polygraph question, ever stole anything, ever get fired, what else is in there? I don't have too many dark secrets. What about alcohol? I was a fireman, so what do you think is the answer? The polygraph scares me the most. Is it going to bring up things I don't remember? What do they ask and how scared should I be?

I didn't think any Canadian institutions used polygraphs; thought is more of a US thing...

From Wikipedia: no scientific study has been published that offers convincing evidence of the validity of the polygraph test. Polygraph tests have also been criticized for failing to trap known spies such as Aldrich Ames, who passed two polygraph tests while spying for the Soviet Union.

See also: http://www.antipolygraph.org/

IMHO: Be honest, tell the truth and relax.

Food for thought.

Cheers!

Just because the poly isn't admissible in court doesn't mean that it isn't accurate.  And the technology used for Ames just as well could have come from Dr. Frankenstein's lab. 
The poly can tell if you are telling the truth.  That's why it is used most frequently to rule out suspects.  If you are lying, depending on how your body responds will gauge the response of the machine.  However ANY lie can be detected.  And the best part is that the harder you try to beat the machine, the more obvious it becomes.  If you are being questioned on drugs or whatnot and the machine comes up anything other than dead nuts honest, you are going to get punted.  There are heaps of cattle in the pen, and it doesn't take much to get launched. 
Additionally, the interviewer has some of the most advanced body response training that exists.  These guys are like friggin' mind readers.  Basically, you do the interview and the interviewer will use the machine to confirm their suspicion that you are being deceitful. 
Don't sweat it, fireboy.  Just lay it all out there.  There is a possibility that the way you conducted yourself when you were younger has precluded you from a career in law enforcement.  Police tend to not be big believers in life transformations.  We generally tend towards "a leopard and his spots" but if you can pull off the sell job go for it. 
This will, however, be the one environment where your glorious Fire-hero status won't mean spit, but at least if you are looking at a remote detachment they will get someone who can bake a fabulous souffle  ;D

zipperhead_cop said:
Okay, so what is going on with you guys?  Surely somebody has heard something on their hirings, or are you all back to square one? 
Go Muni, baby!  We get the chicks!  ;D

I'm still waiting for my background investigation to finish up. Some of my references are across the country, so I guess that'll tack on a few weeks here and there... that and I had to wait the 3 months following lasik.

With regards to the polygraph test, I don't think it's too bad at all, a bit mentally exhausting and stuff, but it's amazing what these machines can detect. The whole test at the beginning, told him what numbered card out of 20 that I had picked and stared at for a few seconds, while he was OUT of the room. Cool beans.

Fry said:
The whole test at the beginning, told him what numbered card out of 20 that I had picked and stared at for a few seconds, while he was OUT of the room. Cool beans.

You do realize the test is video monitored and taped?  Not exactly David Copperfield.  :p

If you are worried about the polygraph questions you can go to the RCMP recruitment site and print off a copy of the booklet. I did I prepped my questions and last week I had a sit down interview/interrogation  ;)
to clarify some of my answers in the book.

Yes in 1996 while on my TQ 5's I cheated on a test (hey Joe where did you find the answer for question number 55) and in 1990 I drank a beer on duty. (hell the CO gave it to us on Chrismas Day) and in 1990 it was common practice to take a weekend while on Ex to go to the red light districts in Hamburg or Nuremburg (now that just dated me).

And there were the standard recreational pharmaceutical questions........how much? when ?and last use?

It wasn't that bad. Now I am waiting again.........

Thanks guys, I didn't know I could download the polygraph. I was sweating bullets reading that thing. Looks good though, nothing in there to be afraid of.

zipperhead_cop said:
You do realize the test is video monitored and taped?  Not exactly David Copperfield.  :p
Oh yeah, I knew that as well, but some things he was a bit puzzled on, and asked me to elaborate more, kinda dug out information that I had forgot over the years.

That booklet isn't the polygraph questions, it's a lifestyle questionaire. It merely gives a trained investigator/interviewer a chance to observe your non-verbal cues by asking you questions that may be difficult or uncomfortable/embarrassing to answer.

It is from this portion of the interview that they determine areas during and after the polygraph to either confirm or revisit. They only ask a handfull of control questions and a handfull of yes or no questions. I believe that it is extremely effective in conjunction with the interview.

gfireboy22 if you have police directed questions you may wish to visit the www.blueline.ca forum. It is a very good bulliten board and has an LEO applicants section.

NONECK

Just a question for anyone who knows ( whether an LEO or not ),

I recently have seen some pictures of a car accident and what struck me as odd was it appeared that the police on scene, RCMP wearing their yellow duty jackets etc,  were wearing stetsons. I have never personally seen any Mountie wearing a stetson while on duty. Any Idea?

Shamrock said:
It wasn't an accident, it was a collision.

Well I guess you could argue it was a "collision". I was more interested in knowing if RCMP members are allowed to wear their stetsons while on duty, or how/why these RCMP members were wearing theirs.

RCMP members are allowed to wear their stetsons while on traffic or any other uniformed duty for that matter.
I know of one traffic member in particular at my old Detachment that wore one on a regular basis. We also used to wear breeks and boots, full sam browne and stetsons at the airport on occasion.

There are several RCMP orders of dress in which it is permitted to wear the stetson, however most members don't because we only get issued one and they are easily damaged, stained and curls up like a sombrero when wet. When not being worn they need to be kept in a stetson press to maintain the shape.

There was a rumour several years ago that the RCMP was going to go to a General Duty basket weave stetson like the OPP. I believe the thought behind it was to prevent increased rates of skin cancer amongst uniform members. I don't know what became of this rumour?

Hope this helps.

Noneck

noneck said:
There was a rumour several years ago that the RCMP was going to go to a General Duty basket weave stetson like the OPP. I believe the thought behind it was to prevent increased rates of skin cancer amongst uniform members. I don't know what became of this rumour?

FYI, the basket weave stetsons bend up pretty easily as well and the members don't wear them if they can help it.  Ball caps for general patrol is the way to go. 

Back