• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

Noneck "I don't quite know what to make of your comment! "
What was implied by me was.

It was nice to hear someone speak in plain language. Not beat around the bush, and put false hope into someone who needed to re-asses their reasons for joining. The info session was very cut and dry as to what is expected of an applicant when they join up. Thus trying motivate people to be prepared for what is in store for them, at least the first six months to a year on the force, so they can tune them selves up mentally, physically and financially.
All through the info session the recruiter was saying things like "you military guys will have no problem with ..." or "you military guys know what this is like...."  But in the same note he was saying to people that if they expected to come back to N.S. and patrol the 5 km on the 102 between Bible Hill and Truro then they should really reconsider their career choice.

It was better that that warm and fuzzy feeling the CF fed me to get me to sign up so many years ago. ;D

Yeah, I attended a few info sessions, and they just put the career on the table, as is, which is good. I'm glad it wasn't buttered up.

Just a little story that I thought I could share. I met my great uncle this weekend whom I had never seen before and he had a couple surprises for me. I knew that my great grandpa was in the NWMP but what I didn't know is that my great uncle has pictures and my great grandpa's service pistol a .467 Enfield from 1916 with "NWMP" and "CANADA" still clearly visible on the handle. The pictures are of my great grandpa with two horses out in the middle of no where in Alberta with low mountains in the background, and with pictures of calvary and cannons from 1917 when he trained Cavalry in Petawawa. He said I can have the pistol when I get in the force, which according to him was promised to some other relatives but he thinks my great grandpa would want a family member in the Force to have it. Pretty cool eh.

There was a song by Paul Gross  called "Ride Forever." In the wake of the tragic deaths of two RCMP constables I just wanted to share these words from the song. I know the majority of the RCMP do not ride horses but you get the point. RIP.

But I'm going to ride forever
You can't keep horsemen in a cage
Should the angels call, well it's only then
I might pull in the reins

Crown-Loyal said:
There was a song by Paul Gross  called "Ride Forever." In the wake of the tragic deaths of two RCMP constables I just wanted to share these words from the song. I know the majority of the RCMP do not ride horses but you get the point. RIP.

But I'm going to ride forever
You can't keep horsemen in a cage
Should the angels call, well it's only then
I might pull in the reins

That song was also First Performed By him on an Episode of Due South where he played the Role of RCMP Const. Benton Fraser, and in that specific episode was joined by the RCMP Musical Ride.... 

just some useless info for you all...

Hey guys,

I'm ready to take the RPAT... and I just wanted to inquire, IF one was to fail the test, how long are you defferred. I have heard it is a year, some say 6 months to a year, depending on how badly you fail. I was just curious about this.

It is a whole calendar year from when you wrote it. That is according to the recruiters out here in "E" Division.

The RCMP had a good display at the Abbotsford Airshow this past weekend. They had some guys from ERT showing their weapons and talking about the job. Over all very good show. Lots of army and airforce displays, no navy displays but I guess it was an airshow so thats ok. Very good show for our armed forces, its good for civilians to see all the  equipment. my 2 cents.

Had a phone call today from the RCMP and as of today my application is terminated because in September of 2004 I tried steriods for a few weeks, then realized it was stupid and quit. That doesn't fit into their 3 years of "being clean". Sad day for me but I will just have to wait another year. Once again stupid immaturity ( from my past ) has gotten the best of me.

Crown Loyal-
You were up front about it, that indicates maturity and integrity on your part. So you got deferred for a year, no big deal. It took me 6 years and three exam sessions to get in. I have buddies that have been deferred for a year for traffic tickets as well as debt!

Everyone makes a mistake or two  when they are growing up. I have stated it over and over again...I would much rather be partnered  with someone who has made mistakes, learned from them and gained some life experience over someone who never erred in their ways and been 100% successful in everything they have tried.

Now my advice is to bash on and maintain the aim. That is find something locally to volunteer your time with, if you are not enrolled in full time school then take a night course (BCIT Forensics courses are great for that), if you aren't in the PRes then start the application process, you could have two years of service and experience with the CF prior to Depot, stay fit and don't lose focus! Come back and re-apply with additions to your resume, you have to show that you haven't spent this deferral year sitting at home pouting and in a funk.

The good news is that the Force will be recruiting massively for the next 2-4 years. We are in competition with other Police agencies for the diminishing crop of potential applicants. The Commisioner has stated that he wants to see 2000 cadets pass through Depot next year. It's an applicants market, some local municipal PD's have 1 and 2 year last usage policies for drugs, you may want to give them a call and enquire. You could always lateral over to the Force after initial service with a Municipal Force.

Anyway PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers
Noneck

Noneck,

Thanks for the advice, it really does help to hear that. I was thinking about joining a PRes unit, until I can get into the Force. The  units around me are infantry, engineer,MP and Airforce.

Muni force is an idea but I have my heart set on RCMP and I don't want to send them the wrong message by applying to a Muni. I will try the PRes and keep trucking along in my quest to join the RCMP. Maybe I will do a little more school like a business course or like you say forensics.

I'm in a bit of funk today but another year will just give me more life experience and hopefully knoledge. I am extremely pleased to see first hand the amount of work the RCMP does to make sure they have top notch officers. It makes me appreciate the RCMP all the more, and the hard work you guys do.

Thanks again, and stay safe.

No problem, as far as the PRes goes if you don't want to commute then I would suggest B-Coy of the Westies out in Aldergrove, good NCO's and good troops (that's a compliment coming from this Highlander). If you are interested then raise Westie47 by PM he's a SNCO in B-Coy.

Don't be too put off by applying for other PD's it's an applicants market. It's also great practice writing the exams doing the POPAT and going through the interview process...it serves to keep you sharp and what's thw worse thing that can happen...someone offers to hire you!

Noneck

Crown-Loyal said:
Had a phone call today from the RCMP and as of today my application is terminated because in September of 2004 I tried steriods for a few weeks, then realized it was stupid and quit. That doesn't fit into their 3 years of "being clean". Sad day for me but I will just have to wait another year. Once again stupid immaturity ( from my past ) has gotten the best of me.

And here I am with the Tommy Chong Avitar......great.

Crown-Loyal,

Where did you hear of 3 years of being clean will be admittance to the RCMP? Just curious. As to the drugs, they mind if you try them once or twice and you realize it was a mistake, but to continuously take them for a few weeks or more, they'll definately frown on that as they have. Did they say you could reapply? Or are you terminated from applying to the RCMP?

Actually Fry that's not true. The interviewer will take into the following:

-Your age when you used the drugs, IE is this experimentation in your teens or a choice you made in your late 20's when you should already have determined what type and direction you want to steer your life in.

-What type of drugs you used, IE Pot, Roids, or do you occasionally smoke a rock with your buds or take E before going out partying.

-frequency of use and last time you used. Did you make a conscious decision to change your life and ceased all CDSA activity or did you apply and then still smoke a big fatty a few weeks after.

I am sure they have a time period restriction concerning drug use, however I don't know the exact facts on this and won't comment.

Cheers
Noneck

The member who called me notified me of the " 3 year rule ". Makes sense to me. I actually asked a recruiter about that when I first started the process and he said as long as it wasn't recent use that i should apply. I guess 3 years is the " recent cut-off " for steriods anyway. Yes it was stupid, but when you are an immature ( at the time ) highschool rugby player with the chance to get " crazy" its too good to be true. I realized it was stupid soon after I started, and that was right around when I had set my sights apon the RCMP as a future career path.

The recruiter ( as I refer to the guy on the phone ) said my application looked good and he wants to see me come back next year as soon as that 1 year deferal is up. He said that he realizes people do things they regret when they are younger and that it seems to him that i have definitly smartened up and have the attitude/lifestyle of a law enforcement officer now.

My friends dad is a cpl. with the ERT ( sniper ) and he did a member sponsor form for me, he feels the career is the right one for me. He has known me for about 10 years. I just thought I would state that to let you guys know that I am a good person and not a "druggy" etc etc.

All the best.

Crown, you still have years ahead of you.  Unless you were directly told the reason for your deferral (spelling, I know), your age may be an issue.  The single biggest thing that ALL Police Forces are looking for is life experience. 

Keep doing what you are doing, branch out, and keep a record of all the different things you are doing to improve yourself.  And don't fall into the trap of thinking those things need to be geared towards Law Enforcement.  Assist in coaching a hockey team.  Take a cooking class.  Travel.  In short, broaden your horizons.  It's all good, unless it's bad.  I know that sounds like a cliche (spelling....), but let your senses guide you.  Do as much as you can along a good line, and you are on your way.

Blackhorse7 said:
Crown, you still have years ahead of you.  Unless you were directly told the reason for your deferral (spelling, I know), your age may be an issue.  The single biggest thing that ALL Police Forces are looking for is life experience. 

Keep doing what you are doing, branch out, and keep a record of all the different things you are doing to improve yourself.  And don't fall into the trap of thinking those things need to be geared towards Law Enforcement.  Assist in coaching a hockey team.  Take a cooking class.  Travel.  In short, broaden your horizons.  It's all good, unless it's bad.  I know that sounds like a cliche (spelling....), but let your senses guide you.  Do as much as you can along a good line, and you are on your way.

I agree, I'm amazed that I've made it as far as I have, and I'm not very old at all.

Thanks for the advice guys,

Yes I know age is definitely a factor, I knew that when I started the process. I will just keep applying until I am in, I have lots of time to wait. I think I will "branch out". A sick childrens camp near my place is in need of volunteers so I will be heading out there, and possibly help out with junior rugby for the Abbotsford Rugby club, and so on. The more experience the better right, so I will keep busy in the next year.

Thanks again.

Okay, so what is going on with you guys?  Surely somebody has heard something on their hirings, or are you all back to square one? 
Go Muni, baby!  We get the chicks!  ;D

Back