• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Commissioner Lucki Stepping Down

I was wondering what her pay/pension would be and it is comparable to someone like the CDS.

As a GiC appointment, her pay range should be posted to the PCO website. From that, knowing her years of service, you can come up with a reasonable range of estimates about her pension.

The real pension nerds can even try to extrapolate what portion will be paid out from the RCMPSA account, what portion will be paid out from the RCMPSA fund, and what portion from RCA #2.

My google skills must be fading. I could find the RCMP salary for up to Superintendent (146k).

She’s been in the news a few times lately pushing back against an item in her mandate letter, e banning of ‘vascular neck restraint’/‘carotid control’. As soon as I saw her publicly resisting that I figured her time was soon up. Credit to her for sticking to her guns on that.

I was wondering what her pay/pension would be and it is comparable to someone like the CDS.

I’m not 100% sure, it I recall reading somewhere that the RCMP commissioner is paid as a DM3. I’m guessing the CDS is probably the higher DM4… but same ballpark, anyway.

The real pension nerds can even try to extrapolate what portion will be paid out from the RCMPSA account, what portion will be paid out from the RCMPSA fund, and what portion from RCA #2.

Hey, you’re a real pension nerd! What’s the difference in those three?

So, go to the Privy Council Office website, select "Orders in Council", search based on keywork Lucki.

PC Number: 2018-0239

Date: 2018-03-08

Her Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, pursuant to section 5 of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act, appoints Brenda Lucki of Regina, Saskatchewan, an officer of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, to be Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, to hold office during pleasure, and fixes her remuneration and certain conditions of employment as set out in the annexed schedule, which salary is within the range GCQ 10 ($312,900 - $368,100), effective April 16, 2018.

Hey, you’re a real pension nerd! What’s the difference in those three?
For the three major pension acts (RCMPSA, PSSA, and CFSA part I only), pensions can originate in three places (but shows up in the bank as a single amount):

* The Account: Prior to 2000, federal pensions had no real asset, they were essentially a line on the Federal government's ledgers. Pension amounts accrued prior to that date are paid out of the Account.

* The Fund: From 2000 onwards, contributions by the pensioner and by the GoC are invested by PSP investments. By law, the GoC will have to make good should the Fund run a material deficit; at the same time, should a surplus arise in the Fund beyond a certain level, the GoC may take a contribution holiday. Benefits accrued since 2000 are paid out of the Fund.

* The Retirement Compensation Account: Canadian tax laws places limits on the benefits possible under employer sponsored pension plans; the establishment of Retirement Compensation Accounts is a legal tax method to surpass those limits. "For 2022, employees whose annual salary rate is in excess of $191,300.00 must contribute to the RCA in respect of the portion above limit." Benefits paid on an average salary above the rate will be paid out of the RCA.

For the Reserve Force Pension Plan, as it was established in 2007, there is no Account, only a Fund. I suspect there have been no RFPP contributors with earnings above the RCA threshold - it would have to be a MGen or LGen, or a senior doctor, dentist or lawyer to have the possibility of crossing that threshold.

I wonder if it was a decision on her part, or whether she got a phone call.

" Hey Brenda, remember that undated resignation letter I demanded when I appointed you? Yeah, I think I'll take that letter out of the drawer now."

Or perhaps she'll be one of the only females to leave the trudeau government, without being thrown under the bus.

If you look at the OIC appointing Gen Eyre as CDS, you'll see that he's paid about 2/3 of what the RCMP commissioner gets. My impression is that since the CDS does not hold all the authorities of a DM, that his pay is therefore lower.

Interestingly, his current maximum is below that of Gen Vance, but on par with that of Adm McDonald.

If you look at the OIC appointing Gen Eyre as CDS, you'll see that he's paid about 2/3 of what the RCMP commissioner gets. My impression is that since the CDS does not hold all the authorities of a DM, that his pay is therefore lower.

Interestingly, his current maximum is below that of Gen Vance, but on par with that of Adm McDonald.
Wow, I’m surprised at that. I just assumed CDS would be paid more than the head of the RCMP due to size and complexity of the organization.

The bifurcated nature of DND / CAF results in a number of such oddities.

On the other hand, you end up with... Umm... Unusual situations. Like when a single AS-05 was responsible for all Reg F pay and allowances (just under $5B annually, at the time).

But don't worry. The position was eventually upgraded to AS-06.

Pilots, despite many claims to the contrary, are not massively underpaid.

Being on full salary while undergoing training is a huge benefit, as are the pay scales for junior pilots accumulating hours. A RCAF Maj is paid more than both pilots flying a Q400, for example.

More senior pilots with specific quals are likely underpaid, but there is no institutional willingness to cut pay rates for junior people paid above market rates.

Back