• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Commissioner Lucki Stepping Down

Every Canadian LEA and the CAF are recruiting from the same pool. I teach at my agency's College. That pool is wide, but shallow.

I now get recruiting ads on my social media from US state and county agencies as well. CHP are very prominent on my feeds.
good time to get hired! if folks want to be hired that is.

Every Canadian LEA and the CAF are recruiting from the same pool. I teach at my agency's College. That pool is wide, but shallow.

I now get recruiting ads on my social media from US state and county agencies as well. CHP are very prominent on my feeds.
Australia. Targeting Canadian LEOs as well.

I watch federal job postings, my wife works within the law enforcement/public safety sector. Over the past year I’ve started seeing the RCMP advertising for civilian criminal investigators within their federal policing. Fed Public Service, peace officer status but not police officers, working within things like cybercrime, financial crime. I guess they’re looking at different models to bring in the skill sets they need for some of their federal stuff. Kinda makes sense; I could imagine a lot of potential good applicants (I’m imagining accountants, computer security pros, etc) getting turned off by the thought of going to Regina and then wherever else they may get posted.

I watch federal job postings, my wife works within the law enforcement/public safety sector. Over the past year I’ve started seeing the RCMP advertising for civilian criminal investigators within their federal policing. Fed Public Service, peace officer status but not police officers, working within things like cybercrime, financial crime. I guess they’re looking at different models to bring in the skill sets they need for some of their federal stuff. Kinda makes sense; I could imagine a lot of potential good applicants (I’m imagining accountants, computer security pros, etc) getting turned off by the thought of going to Regina and then wherever else they may get posted.
The OPP has been doing that for a while in areas such as forensic ident., e-crimes and evidence management. Not "investigators" per se, but part of the team. Depending on the position, some a sworn as special constables. They used to have civilian forensic accountants for complex frauds but I believe they contract that out now.

yet our neighbour's son couldn't get taken on by any of the south-western Ontario forces because he didn't meet the ethnic requirements. After two years searching he finally gave up and pursued another career. Regardless of shortages, WASPS need not apply it would seem or at least they are at the bottom of the list.
I have been hearing about “white males need not apply” since I was in high school a looooong time ago, yet I still see plenty of young white male officers in various agencies.

I have been hearing about “white males need not apply” since I was in high school a looooong time ago, yet I still see plenty of young white male officers in various agencies.
They make up the overwhelming majority of the police officers in Canada. Still the majority of most recruit classes too

For reference to the discussion,

Diversity in the RCMP

yet our neighbour's son couldn't get taken on by any of the south-western Ontario forces because he didn't meet the ethnic requirements. After two years searching he finally gave up and pursued another career. Regardless of shortages, WASPS need not apply it would seem or at least they are at the bottom of the list.

Bullshit. Your neighbours‘ son was found either unsuitable or insufficiently competitive for other reasons. If the former, probably something he did and never shared with his parents.

I’ve done a fair bit of cop stuff now in the past decade. We (white males) are still a majority of serving police and new recruits, and are grossly overrepresented in comparison to the wider population. My recruit class graduated 27; 14 white males and 13 others. White males are a bit less than 35% of the population but were more than 50% of my graduating class. Other classes I’ve seen go through were similar.

“White males need not apply” is a tired lament we typically hear from people who simply couldn’t get picked up for the job. Even with hiring having dropped considerably, there are standards still in place. If anything, the current desperation for the profession to hire suggests that he was probably turned away for suitability rather than competitiveness.

Last edited:
Often times they are sent away with things they need to fix to become more competitive with other white males- like education or community involvement and they don’t like the idea of tuning their application for another year or two.

Often times they are sent away with things they need to fix to become more competitive with other white males- like education or community involvement and they don’t like the idea of tuning their application for another year or two.

Yup, or simply to put a bit more time and growth between themselves and a stupid choice they made once.

Bullshit. Your neighbours‘ son was found either unsuitable or insufficiently competitive for other reasons. If the former, probably something he did and never shared with his parents.

I’ve done a fair bit of cop stuff now in the past decade. We (white males) are still a majority of serving police and new recruits, and are grossly overrepresented in comparison to the wider population. My recruit class graduated 27; 14 white males and 13 others. White males are a bit less than 35% of the population but were more than 50% of my graduating class. Other classes I’ve seen go through were similar.

“White males need not apply” is a tired lament we typically hear from people who simply couldn’t get picked up for the job. Even with hiring having dropped considerably, there are standards still in place. If anything, the current desperation for the profession to hire suggests that he was probably turned away for suitability rather than competitiveness.
many "white" males have other ancestry. I would never assume a persons actual identity until I knew for sure.
The RCMP has gone on specific recruiting tracks for certain demographics. They have admitted to it in the past and it usually has failed them to attain the required amount of approved applicants. But it has also enhanced their force by targeting certain groups for hiring that otherwsie may not have thought of Policing as a career.

What I find funny is when the RCMP rejects a protentional recruit, only to have that person hire on elsewhere. Some will say the recruiting standard was higher at the RCMP but many times it is not. I have seen this more then a handful of times it makes me laugh thinking about it.

many "white" males have other ancestry. I would never assume a persons actual identity until I knew for sure.
The RCMP has gone on specific recruiting tracks for certain demographics. They have admitted to it in the past and it usually has failed them to attain the required amount of approved applicants. But it has also enhanced their force by targeting certain groups for hiring that otherwsie may not have thought of Policing as a career.

What I find funny is when the RCMP rejects a protentional recruit, only to have that person hire on elsewhere. Some will say the recruiting standard was higher at the RCMP but many times it is not. I have seen this more then a handful of times it makes me laugh thinking about it.

I'm speaking profession-wide, and specifically to dismiss the silly notion that white males are not welcome in policing, or that we face some sort of systemic disadvantage. Quite the opposite, when we're overrepresented and continue to be.

Yes, there will be individual cases where someone is not successful with one force and is with another. I have been that applicant- my first choice didn't take me, and later another one did. There was minimal material change between the two applications. At any given point in time, one service or another may have greater or lesser planned intake, a greater or lesser pool of applicants,a nd competitiveness may vary between the two respective pools of applicants. Services may have differing risk tolerances towards things in applicants' backgrounds.

Bottom line- a white male with a strong CV and without any particular points of concern in their background should be just fine to get hired into a police service. Targeted recruiting efforts may be acting, slowly, to reduce our overrepresentation in the profession, but in no way is it working to prevent good applicants from our demographic from being cops.

They make up the overwhelming majority of the police officers in Canada. Still the majority of most recruit classes too
The white male makes up about 60-70% of the two current recruit classes in my care. White females make up about 10% and the remainder are visible minorities of all genders.

My agency's recruiting and selection process is in excess of two years long for an applicant who submits everything on time and passes all the testing on the first go-around.

I have heard that some applicants abandon our process to go to an agency who's process is shorter so they start working sooner. In one case, the RCMP contacted one of our recruits during his training with us and he jumped to them.

Nothing new about about Employment Equity in Canada.

This article in Toronto Fire Watch - Spring 2009, page 9, explained their EE Policy :
Women and visible minorities, once qualified, are placed in their own group and that each class hired would require 50% from that group and 50% from the white male group.

Not sure how that worked out. I was retired by then.

Don't know if RCMP uses a similar formula?

People get turned down from municipal agencies and picked up by the RCMP and the opposite often. It’s a completely regular occurrence. Sometimes it’s test scores and where they fall on the list- sometimes it’s demographics. Its not something you can read anything in to.

Nothing new about about Employment Equity in Canada.

This article in Toronto Fire Watch - Spring 2009, page 9, explained their EE Policy :

Not sure how that worked out. I was retired by then.

Don't know if RCMP uses a similar formula?
The old testing scheme in use until the mid 2010s placed people into pools by a series of scores off their total package.

So visible minorities had their own pool. Women. Other minorities.

All had to exceed the minimum score- a set mark in the sand. But in order to compete in their pool they had to be competitive against others in their pool. So where you had a ton of applicants the average test score would creep higher- and the other pools would be lower. All had to hit the minimum- but not everyone was competitive on the same list. The pool that required the higher scores would tend to be the white male demographic because the overwhelming majority of applicants fell in that pool. They may have called it something other than “pools” I’m sure that is offensive some how- it’s just the real terminology evading me at the moment.

So if the pass mark was a 3.0, women might need 3.05 and indigenous may be 3.02 and white males needing a 3.1+ to compete in their pool. To be completely honest while there was a variety of numbers it was never anything so extreme as like white dudes needed a 4 and everyone else needed a 3. It’s was relatively small- but it is enough that there are a lot of high school educated 19 year olds that apply and are frustrated that their applications strength isn’t what they need. It’s not a hard or high standard but if you disrespect it as a given it will surprise you. There was people ejecting from the process in every pool I had some insight in to- there just happen to be more young white fellers because more of them applied. A lot of them shocked that graduating at 17- two years in “police foundations” while they drank their faces off wasn’t enough to compete.

The new system I haven’t been involved in- so I’m not totally sure how it’s merited- but I imagine since we still have goals for diversity it would resemble the same process.

Last edited:
Back